Final road trip stop - Grand Canyon

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Final road trip stop - Grand Canyon

Post by wapiti » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:36 am

WolfPtCat wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:17 am
I love Sprinkle's intensity...it is not yell and scream like Fish. He yells when he needs to...ala Coach K. You could tell he was super pissed when our guys had an out-of-bounce play under our own basket after a deflection. We only had 2 seconds on the shot clock and our guys either forgot, didn't hear bench screaming, or where completely unaware. GCU coach Dan Marjle lived 5 feet onto the court all game. When we screwed that possession up, Sprinkle was 15 feet out there...yelling at our guys.

As for playing time, he's playing the guys who deserve it. He knows that is the carrot that makes people play harder/smarter. He quickly pulled Quinlan after back to back knuckle headed plays/turnovers.

Too many turnovers MSU 17 to GCU 4.....that was the story of the game. Many of ours were unforced....poor jump stops resulting in traveling, throwing the ball away, etc. The T/O's stacked up in late 2nd half and propelled the eventual 19-0 run.
Is that the former NBA player Dan Majerle??
According to a quick google search it is!!!
He was a good NBA player.

WolfPtCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by WolfPtCat » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:52 am

wapiti wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:36 am
WolfPtCat wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:17 am
I love Sprinkle's intensity...it is not yell and scream like Fish. He yells when he needs to...ala Coach K. You could tell he was super pissed when our guys had an out-of-bounce play under our own basket after a deflection. We only had 2 seconds on the shot clock and our guys either forgot, didn't hear bench screaming, or where completely unaware. GCU coach Dan Marjle lived 5 feet onto the court all game. When we screwed that possession up, Sprinkle was 15 feet out there...yelling at our guys.

As for playing time, he's playing the guys who deserve it. He knows that is the carrot that makes people play harder/smarter. He quickly pulled Quinlan after back to back knuckle headed plays/turnovers.

Too many turnovers MSU 17 to GCU 4.....that was the story of the game. Many of ours were unforced....poor jump stops resulting in traveling, throwing the ball away, etc. The T/O's stacked up in late 2nd half and propelled the eventual 19-0 run.
Is that the former NBA player Dan Majerle??
According to a quick google search it is!!!
He was a good NBA player.
Yeah...I didn't google how to spell name correctly. I saw some interviews with him last year. He was part of GCU's major investment in basketball. They went from non-existence to NCAA tournament in 4 or 5 years. They must've won the WAC auto-bid last year. I think they pay him a very nice salary.

GCU made the smart choice to put their focus on one hi-visibility sport (no football). GCU runs a lot of TV adds in the Denver market. There is some kind of Christian angle to the school. I don't think they are as religious as Oral Roberts or BYU, but are trying to attract non-denominational...mega-church with rock band on stage and charismatic youth group-type kids. I'm not sure who bank rolled it's construction/operation.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:38 pm

Just ran out of steam at the end, tough road stretch. Doesn't change my optimism one bit, we hung tough for a long time and had a 6 point lead before it all fell apart.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:34 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:14 am
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:33 pm
My one concern about Sprinkle right now is he is not developing his bench. He played a lot of guys at Utah State, but in the last 4 he's mainly stuck with 7 guys and very little minutes for anybody else. We need more than 7 guys-it's a long season. Hopefully the next game against D-2 Colorado Christian will allow him to get some other guys some minutes.
Yeah i had that thought too, we'll need some backup guard play at some point. Fernandez played a bit, refresh me (new baby at home barely functioning) is he the 7th or 8th? Ricketts, quinlan with a splash of Fernandez is about what we get, right?
Ricketts had 21 minutes, Quinlan had 10. Fernandez had 5 and Hobbs 4 (hometown kid). Was surprised Guliford only got 1 minute at the end and no time in the games in North Carolina. I know he was nursing an injury in pre-season so maybe that was part of it? Otherwise-why didn't we redshirt him?