2021 Recruiting Rumors and Discussion

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2021 Recruiting Rumors and Discussion

Post by mslacat » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:38 pm

RickRund wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:11 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:47 am
Tallest guy I remember was Greg Walters at 7'.
How tall was Tryg Johnson. Thought he over 7 foot.
Tryg was 6-10. He and Phil Layer lived a few doors down from me in South Hedges. When asked how tall he would always say 6-11 by the McHale method. Mchale gave his basketball height as with shoes on, because "I wear shoes when playing basketball". Walters was a solid 7'-0" by the time he finished his career (he played 4 years plus had a medical redshirt year) When he showed up at MSU he was 6-10 at best, but he just kept growing if someone would have told me he was 7-1 his senior year I would have believed Them.

Huse signed Michel Swita a 7-1 or 7-2" player if I remember correctly out of North Idaho JC, whom Huse thought would be a terror in the Big Sky. He was incredibly slow of foot, and minor injury prone. Never made an impact on the team.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:51 pm

I am very intrigues by this commit, but also very cautious. Over the past 15 or so years we have signed 8-10 players who were over 6-10, and the only one that seems to have made an impact on the team has been Delvin Kirby. Huse signed a few 7 footers but none were D-1 players. Bradley Fisher and Michel Swita come to mind . Big men today need to be able run the floor or they become a liability on defense and the fast breaking. For me it will all be about how good his foot word is and can he run the floor. If not I do not care how tall he is. On the positive, I hear the kid is a workaholic, and his year in europe has really helped him. He was starting to get a lot of attention from Pac-12 and others. MSU was his first D-1 offer, and had a very good engineering school and he jumped on it. Could be a real steal.

imacat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:06 am

Huse signed Michel Swita a 7-1 or 7-2" player if I remember correctly out of North Idaho JC, whom Huse thought would be a terror in the Big Sky. He was incredibly slow of foot, and minor injury prone. Never made an impact on the team.
[/quote]

I don’t necessarily like to rag on Bobcat coaches but this is typical Huse. I don’t think he ever developed an integrated recruiting strategy to build a team. When he left, the program was a train wreck.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:06 am

mslacat wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:38 pm
Tryg was 6-10.
He still is! Or pretty close to that. I think I shocked Tryg at a women's game. He was there cheering on his daughter who plays for Sacramento State. I told him I remembered him playing for the Bobcats and what great memories seeing him back in the fieldhouse brought to me. I still have a game program with Tryg on the cover with Hashley, Epperly, and Maclin carrying Bethal Debnam off the Dahlberg Arena floor after that team upset the griz in Missoula for the first time in a long time.

But I digress...I have a good feeling about this kid. Eventually one of these big guys will turn out to be a good player-right? Injuries are probably the biggest concern. That's a lot of mass to move around on those knee joints. It's definitely worth the risk of a scholarship.