2021 Recruiting Rumors and Discussion

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

lv2hoop
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: 2021 Recruiting Rumors and Discussion

Post by lv2hoop » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:51 pm

Thanks all! Mslacat — I am Hellgate HS Class of 88! Some great friends and family still in Missoula, all of whom I have offered to buy a blue and gold Bobcat hoodie.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:10 pm

That 1988 team with you John, Kirk and all was a hell of a fun team to watch, just that last game against that 7 foot dude to short.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:18 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:28 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:18 am
This feels huge. Isn't he Chad Germer's kid? UM's offensive line coach? So we could arguably have the top players from Wyoming, Alaska, and Montana in the 2021 recruiting class?

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:38 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:28 am
Hawks86 wrote:
This feels huge. Isn't he Chad Germer's kid? UM's offensive line coach? So we could arguably have the top players from Wyoming, Alaska, and Montana in the 2021 recruiting class?
Didn't the other Germer kid leave the football team?

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:11 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:38 am
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:28 am
Hawks86 wrote:
Didn't the other Germer kid leave the football team?
Yes, his brother Nick left the UM team. Yes his dad is the UM o-line coach. Germer was First Team All-State as a Junior. Averaged 18 points and 9 rebounds a game. Shot about 44% from the field (33% from 3). He is listed at 6'8"

bpcats20
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by bpcats20 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:39 pm

How does this recruiting class stack up compared to what we had been doing? Shooting the ball should be better... but we seem really raw. Lots of work lying ahead to get these kids developed.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:53 pm

lv2hoop wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:43 am
Patrick’s Dad here. Super excited that he committed this week to join Coach Sprinkle’s program. We are all excited to join the Bobcat Nation and the MSU family!!!
Welcome! Excellent university, excellent coaching staff, excellent small city. A student-athlete would be hard-pressed to make a better life decision.

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:56 am

From what I understand, UM has not recruited Germer, despite the UM connection.

Any idea why????

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:37 am

aucat wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:56 am

Any idea why????
Germer looks like a great player and will have a chance at Gatorade player of the year next year I’m assuming. At the same time, the Griz are typically stacked with talent too. I know they have two transfers who sat out last year that are supposedly legit all conference players. It’s all about numbers and scholarships. I’ll happily take someone from their backyard and family just on principle though.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:56 am

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:22 pm

aucat wrote:

Any idea why????
He was not from California

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:17 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:37 am
aucat wrote:

Any idea why????
Germer looks like a great player and will have a chance at Gatorade player of the year next year I’m assuming. At the same time, the Griz are typically stacked with talent too. I know they have two transfers who sat out last year that are supposedly legit all conference players. It’s all about numbers and scholarships. I’ll happily take someone from their backyard and family just on principle though.
THanks for that angle. I just wondered. I have zero knowledge about the UM roster, so that makes sense.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:02 pm

Okay-I could be completely wrong on this and I absolutely have no idea what I'm talking about...But it is really interesting to see how Sprinkle's recruiting differs from Fish-especially since so many on the staff worked for both head coaches. Fish cast a wide net. Mslacat always kept us informed on who Fish was recruiting. It was kids that always seemed to good to be true. He hit on a few. Tyler Hall, Harald Frey, Isaac Bonton. But most everyone else signed somewhere else and Fish would go to the next kid, and the next...I think Sprinkle is much more realistic in his recruiting, but also he's going after a different type of kid. Would Fish have given LeCholat, McMahon, and Germer the time of day? They're the best of the best in their respective states, but probably wouldn't make a top 100 list in California or Arizona or wherever. Also these kids, along with Tyler Patterson coming in from Washington, are good shooters, and look like they have a lot of growth potential. None of them look like finished products or kids that would come in right away and start. But Sprinkle got them to commit early. I think all these kids-with a year or two in the weight room are going to be really good. I think we're on the right track.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:29 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:02 pm
Okay-I could be completely wrong on this and I absolutely have no idea what I'm talking about...But it is really interesting to see how Sprinkle's recruiting differs from Fish-especially since so many on the staff worked for both head coaches. Fish cast a wide net. Mslacat always kept us informed on who Fish was recruiting. It was kids that always seemed to good to be true. He hit on a few. Tyler Hall, Harald Frey, Isaac Bonton. But most everyone else signed somewhere else and Fish would go to the next kid, and the next...I think Sprinkle is much more realistic in his recruiting, but also he's going after a different type of kid. Would Fish have given LeCholat, McMahon, and Germer the time of day? They're the best of the best in their respective states, but probably wouldn't make a top 100 list in California or Arizona or wherever. Also these kids, along with Tyler Patterson coming in from Washington, are good shooters, and look like they have a lot of growth potential. None of them look like finished products or kids that would come in right away and start. But Sprinkle got them to commit early. I think all these kids-with a year or two in the weight room are going to be really good. I think we're on the right track.
While it makes sense that the 2020 recruiting class will probably be pretty transfer-heavy to try and immediately address the glaring areas of weakness the team had this year, I love that Sprinkle has already filled 3 of his 4 openings (pending future spots opening up) with Freshman recruits for his 2021 class. He certainly seems to be going into areas of the country that may be under-recruited by other schools, which can obviously pay off if you find that player who might have Mountain West-level talent given time to develop. Jason Erickson is presumably a great example of this idea. I don't recall any other Bobcat basketball players from Wyoming or Alaska aside from Scott Harry who was recruited to play football. One thing's for sure, if guys like Borja and Fleute stick around until 2021, MSU will have the most geographically diverse roster in college basketball!

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:11 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:02 pm
There was a kid from Bozeman that signed with the griz a couple years ago. He averaged 3 points a game (rounding up) his Junior year, and then averaged 16 points a game his senior year. Was getting no looks from MSU or UM until the summer before his Senior year, when he lit up the AAU circuit in the Northwest.... Point is, you never know how a player will improve, but the one thing you can't coach is height... Both Germer and this bozeman kid are about 6'7"...

blueandgoldblitz

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:26 am

Mack Anderson. (apologies if his last name ends in -en)

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:33 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:26 am
I know... Just didn't want to type a griz players name..

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:45 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:37 am
aucat wrote:

Any idea why????
I saw Germer play a couple times this year. I was surprised to see that a kid with his height in Montana was playing on the perimeter. Anybody know if he was shorter when in grade school and developed as a guard until high school. Now he is 6’7” and can play very effectively outside the arc.

blueandgoldblitz

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:43 am

SACCAT wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:33 pm
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:26 am
I know... Just didn't want to type a griz players name..
So you got me to do it for you....you sneaky MOFO! I feel used! :lol: :)