2021 Recruiting Rumors and Discussion

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: 2021 Recruiting Rumors and Discussion

Post by imacat » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:31 pm

Recent commit Mareng Gatkouth is originally from Anchorage.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat May 08, 2021 2:57 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Mon May 10, 2021 1:01 am

AFCAT wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 2:57 pm
Holy crap, he's huge. I know he's 7'3 but then to actually see him next to Sprinkle...

WolfPtCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by WolfPtCat » Mon May 10, 2021 6:43 am

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 1:01 am
AFCAT wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 2:57 pm
Holy crap, he's huge. I know he's 7'3 but then to actually see him next to Sprinkle...
I don't know my sightlines/photography rules very well. Mom is slightly closer to the camera, so it may skew....but, she looks like she's got Sprinkle by an inch or two.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon May 10, 2021 11:08 am

Now that recruiting is done for 2021 and are roster is set (I hope) with 16 (I believe) scholarship players I think it is safe to say, top to bottom this is the most talented team since some of Durham's (may be ever)!

-Although I am still amazed Fish could not do better than sub .500 record with 2 potential NBA players on a roster-

The only problem is that a majority of Big Sky Conference teams are also in the same position.

We essentially have our entire staring line up back, and I think some of those return starters are going to be in a real battle to keep their starting spots. I also think there is going to be a real battle just to make the 2021-22 active roster. With sixteen scholarships I could see Sprinkle redshirt up to 3-4 players. There will be a real log jam at the wing position (2/3) so I could really battle there for playing time/redshirt, including Tyler Patterson. In terms of talent and team depth, my guess Great Osobor and Alex Germer may be in the best position to earn playing time as the 4 spot seems to have the least depth, although Issacs Spears, whom Sprinkle predicted would play a great deal at point guard, has the chance to beat out Kellen Tynes as Xavier Bishop as our back-up point guard.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Mon May 10, 2021 12:31 pm

mslacat wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:08 am
Now that recruiting is done for 2021 and are roster is set (I hope) with 16 (I believe) scholarship players I think it is safe to say, top to bottom this is the most talented team since some of Durham's (may be ever)!

-Although I am still amazed Fish could not do better than sub .500 record with 2 potential NBA players on a roster-

The only problem is that a majority of Big Sky Conference teams are also in the same position.

We essentially have our entire staring line up back, and I think some of those return starters are going to be in a real battle to keep their starting spots. I also think there is going to be a real battle just to make the 2021-22 active roster. With sixteen scholarships I could see Sprinkle redshirt up to 3-4 players. There will be a real log jam at the wing position (2/3) so I could really battle there for playing time/redshirt, including Tyler Patterson. In terms of talent and team depth, my guess Great Osobor and Alex Germer may be in the best position to earn playing time as the 4 spot seems to have the least depth, although Issacs Spears, whom Sprinkle predicted would play a great deal at point guard, has the chance to beat out Kellen Tynes as Xavier Bishop as our back-up point guard.
I like it. \:D/

Now the same thing with WBB if you don't mind...

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue May 11, 2021 9:30 pm

The Women's program, like the men are returning almost every body of significance, with the exception of starting all conference guard Tori Martell. Martel, though will be a big hole to fill. We also lost seldom used guards Sidney Zieske to finishing her degree and guard Sydney Stensgard to transfer. Senior (I believe) Ashley Van Sickle will return though. We lose 3 players and we have 3 new players so the Bobcats will be at their maximum normal 15 scholarships. Sprinkle had the luxury of having a handful of underclass man transfer that allowed him to pick up some transfers to bolster the team. Unless Binford picks up a late transfer, I think she is staying pat for next year. For this team to improve I think we will need to see Darian White to take her game up a notch. For that to happen we need one or two players to become all conference level. Next year teams are going to swarm White defensively. She needs a go to player (or two) that can make them pay. This is where the loss of Martell will really comes in to play. To go along with that we need to replace Martells three point shooting. Unfortunately two of our best three point shooters last year behind Martell were Stensgard and Zieske. This is where I feel we need Katelynn Limardo to be come a big three point threat. Sickle is also a pretty good 3 point shooter, but a little streaky. Also keep an eye incoming freshman 5-5 PG Casey Ardern who might be the teams best three point shooter the minute she steps on the court this fall.

The 2020-21 freshman class might have been our best recruiting class under Binford if not ever, and while we lost Stensgard the remaining 5 players have a lot of talent. 2021 we are going to need them to step it up. While we return just about everyone so do just about every other team, plus a lot of them have added more. Of our other 2 freshman Mia Hughs is a 5-10 forward in the mold of Peyton Ferris. She is a tough constant moving player who out works opponents. I think she is going to be a good one for us, but is going to have to work her way through a lot of depth. I can not wait to see 6-6 Lindsey Hein. She could be a force in the Big Sky, the only question is when

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue May 11, 2021 9:40 pm

mslacat wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:30 pm
The Women's program, like the men are returning almost every body of significance, with the exception of starting all conference guard Tori Martell. Martel, though will be a big hole to fill. We also lost seldom used guards Sidney Zieske to finishing her degree and guard Sydney Stensgard to transfer. Senior (I believe) Ashley Van Sickle will return though. We lose 3 players and we have 3 new players so the Bobcats will be at their maximum normal 15 scholarships. Sprinkle had the luxury of having a handful of underclass man transfer that allowed him to pick up some transfers to bolster the team. Unless Binford picks up a late transfer, I think she is staying pat for next year. For this team to improve I think we will need to see Darian White to take her game up a notch. For that to happen we need one or two players to become all conference level. Next year teams are going to swarm White defensively. She needs a go to player (or two) that can make them pay. This is where the loss of Martell will really comes in to play. To go along with that we need to replace Martells three point shooting. Unfortunately two of our best three point shooters last year behind Martell were Stensgard and Zieske. This is where I feel we need Katelynn Limardo to be come a big three point threat. Sickle is also a pretty good 3 point shooter, but a little streaky. Also keep an eye incoming freshman 5-5 PG Casey Ardern who might be the teams best three point shooter the minute she steps on the court this fall.

The 2020-21 freshman class might have been our best recruiting class under Binford if not ever, and while we lost Stensgard the remaining 5 players have a lot of talent. 2021 we are going to need them to step it up. While we return just about everyone so do just about every other team, plus a lot of them have added more. Of our other 2 freshman Mia Hughs is a 5-10 forward in the mold of Peyton Ferris. She is a tough constant moving player who out works opponents. I think she is going to be a good one for us, but is going to have to work her way through a lot of depth. I can not wait to see 6-6 Lindsey Hein. She could be a force in the Big Sky, the only question is when
Leia Beattie has a sweet outside shot. I look for her to knock down a lot of threes next season.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri May 14, 2021 9:17 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:40 pm
mslacat wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:30 pm

Leia Beattie has a sweet outside shot. I look for her to knock down a lot of threes next season.
I would tend to agree that she could be a bit factor as a scoring threat. She can score in a lot of ways, but I found her to be a little steaky from three. Weird thing is 2 of our better "Pure" shooters from 3 are 6'-3"

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri May 14, 2021 7:26 pm

mslacat wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:17 am
I would tend to agree that she could be a bit factor as a scoring threat. She can score in a lot of ways, but I found her to be a little steaky from three. Weird thing is 2 of our better "Pure" shooters from 3 are 6'-3"
I think they'll all get incrementally better. Ranson might surprise us too. Tori Martell wasn't always so automatic early in her career. I can't wait to find out.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:47 pm

Just bumping this thread. Am I crazy thinking this off-season has gone amazingly well for the men? Somebody do the 'ol Bobcat Nation head shot of negativity and slap me back to reality if necessary, but right now I can't help but to think we will have an actual contender.

mslacat? Latest thoughts?

Griz__00
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Griz__00 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:19 pm

CatBot wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:47 pm
Just bumping this thread. Am I crazy thinking this off-season has gone amazingly well for the men? Somebody do the 'ol Bobcat Nation head shot of negativity and slap me back to reality if necessary, but right now I can't help but to think we will have an actual contender.

Unless Randy Rahe royally ****** up, Weber is in a tier of their own. UM, MSU, and UNC are all in a race for 2nd.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:44 pm

CatBot wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:47 pm

Teams better not be sleeping when they play us. My own bias makes it hard to say we are on the top rung yet until I see the team get a few games under their belt....but Danny keeps bringing in quality athletes and we are getting deeper each year. I know he wants to build from the bottom up and he has some quality freshmen coming in. But on paper this year just looks to be awfully good with some outstanding returnees, a couple quality transfers, a good supporting cast and Danny Sprinkle factor.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:15 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 7:26 pm
mslacat wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:17 am
I think they'll all get incrementally better. Ranson might surprise us too. Tori Martell wasn't always so automatic early in her career. I can't wait to find out.
Having a little trouble figuring who the “two” “pure” shooters over 6’3” are referenced above? Help? Jansen only shot 26% from the arc this year. Deden didn’t shoot that much from the arc but has a great short jumper and inside move.

The best shooters from the arc this year (besides Martell) that took at least 50 trey shots were Beattie at 38% and Limardo at 34%. Others that shot well from the arc but didn’t take that many shots were Maddie at 40%, Ashley at 37% and Ranson at 33%.

I agree with comment that Ranson could surprise us too. Van Sickle had a great come back year coming off her injury year and if I am not mistaken shot over 40% from the arc in high school so she could have a break out year too. But like you there are several on this roster that could rise to the occasion and make an incremental step and I am looking to see who it is.

Not sure I would say Martell was not automatic early.....she shot 40% from the arc as a freshman...it was just the damned sophomore year that got her. She shot over 40% her freshman, junior, and senior seasons. She would have easily had the best 3 point shooting % in Bobcat history except for that soph year.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:52 pm

Griz__00 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:26 am
grizzh8r wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:11 am
RickRund wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:46 am
allcat wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:53 pm
Griz__00 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:29 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:30 am
Griz__00 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:54 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:04 am
Griz__00 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:39 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:25 pm
If I am keeping track, we have 4 commits and all look legit. One is WY Gatorade player of the year. McMahon from Alaska is super athletic and looks to have that “it” factor. Watch his highlights earlier in this thread. I have never seen a high school kid dunk it like that. He had a break away double pump dunk. Athleticism is off the charts. Shabbaz looks athletic and can shoot. Germer is a 6’7” perimeter player with great athletic genes. Wow!!
Imagine thinking McMahon has off the charts athleticism. Have you ever had a decent athlete? Try this on for size.
You’ll be seeing this for the next 3 years. Have fun. We swept you in a down year and you ain’t getting us anytime soon.
Kid is athletic. He had a great season at Utah... oh wait, HE DIDNT GET TO PLAY AT UTAH!

But thanks for visiting and reminding us why Griz fans are such douches.
Once again showing your lack of knowledge on any situation before trash talking. Gaskin was one of 7 or 8 Utah players to transfer out of Utah last season. He was projected to be a key piece of their rotation. As in if he wasn’t going to start, he was going to be 1st or 2nd man off the bench. He left a Utah program with a lot of issues over the past few years, and pretty sure nobody can blame him. Not to mention, when he transferred, he had interest to stay P12 from WSU, to go along with MWC and WCC offers and interest but went with us instead. But go ahead and talk your trash. Make it all that much better when Gaskin is All BSC for 2 or 3 years before playing pro ball.
So my comment above was Gaskin never played for Utah. Guess how many minutes he spent on the court at Utah? ZERO! Here are the season stats:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... istics.pdf

So did they remove his minutes and stats from the Utah records? And you say he was projected to play significant minutes next season? Seriously stupid comments on your part. Gaskin redshirted, didn’t like sitting the bench and left after one year of no play.

Upon leaving Utah, Washington State was interested but he never made a campus visit. They must have been really INTERESTED - maybe a walk on offer from the worst team in the PAC 12. According to 406Sports, his other offers were UC Santa Barbara and JUCO schools.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... 963a4.html

Speaking of trash talk, you do realize that you are the guy posting on a rivals website? I had posted a positive comment about an MSU recruit here and you come and talk sh1t. Seems to me that you need to find a hobby besides teach talking, because you are not very good at it.
Once again you have missed the mark on Gaskin. He said that WSU was heavily pushing for him to make a visit but committed here as he had already visited. Not to mention, Gaskin coming off of a redshirt year was being touted by insiders and people watching Utah basketball practices as one of the most improved players on the team with an improved outside J and was a projected 6th or 7th man. Oh and by the way UCSB was way better last year than you have been in your entire existence as a sorry trash a$s basketball program. You may as well give up. UM is loaded and you know it. Just wait until we beat you by 20 plus to see it first hand. 21 of 22 to come soon.🥱
Which griz guy that was kicked off this platform do you suppose this guy is?
Don't really mind seeing confidence but to me the looks like major arrogance. Really would love to see a MAJOR collapse. Not just because of who it is.
At this point, the UM MBB program is all they've got left and once Decure leaves for greener pastures, they'll slip, it's happened to every one of their other programs. So they are grasping at straws. I might actually pity them, if it weren't for the insufferable arrogance of their fanbase...
Ahhhhh the good old “when _____ leaves you will drop off”. How many coaches do we have to go through for you to see we have one of the greatest coaching traditions in college basketball? Krystowiak, Tinkle, DeCuire, Montgomery to name a few. Won’t be seeing a drop off here anytime soon. In fact, we’re headed up right now. Perennial mid major power.
Well, this post and thread has aged well over the past almost 2 years...

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:13 pm

mslacat wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:39 pm
This is a weird year with all the Covid Protocols it has been tough for me to follow our fall signees and it is tough to figure out how what our needs are based on who is coming back. I have heard through sources (none coaches) that it appears pretty solid two seniors are coming back, one senior will not and the fourth most likely will not no but final decision has been made. Our available scholarships will not be effected by seniors decisions. Based on those that have left the program I believe we have two open scholarships. The coaches are looking at a ton transfers and JC plus a few high schools. in my opinion they are looking to add a guard who can play point (or at least very good ball skills) and can shoot the three (surprise). Second a big man who can play immediately (three point shooting is preferred, but maybe not required).

Prospect Name to keep an eye on Broc Finstuen 6-4 Sr transfer from Pacific U. (11.2pts 6rbs) was coached by coach Russell at Casper

Ranking Committed/signed recruits (by impact next year)

RaeQuan Battle 6-5 G/SF (transfer U of Wa) 4-star out of high school some what of a little disappointment so far for UW (5pt/GM) but he is one of 6 transfers from UW. Counting on Danny to get him back on track. He has the rep and a big type scorer. Not the shooter Tyler Hall was but can score from deep, mid range or going to the basket. (BTW one thing that has me nervous about Battle is that his official signing has yet to be announced)

Great Ososbor 6-8 F - I could have easily put him #1 but since he is a freshman I gave that to Battle. Ososbor could be the next great Bobcat player. Started his basketball career as a point guard. Had a growth spurt over 2 years and now 6-8ish. Unlike a lot of late growth athletes, this guy is filled out and built like a college senior. I can not wait to see what he looks like after a year in the MSU weight program. He is uber-athletic, tough physical player, fights for every rebound, looks for his shot, and great ball skills. Because his high school team did not play this winter, he was allowed to play on a club team with former college players. He was a beast. If we can keep him for 4 years he could be someone special.

Alex Germer 6-8 sg/sf/pf This is the guy I know best. Has the opportunity to play as a freshman. So versatile. Deep deep three point range but has the size and body to post up. Actively looks for his shot. Maybe more of a scorer than a rebounder for us, but the type of big guy Danny loves.

Patrick McHahon 6-6 G/F Hate to do this, but it does describe his game. Think of a Kral Ferch LT, maybe not as fast, but taller. He is an aggressive take it to the rim player without fear. The knock on him after his junior year was his 3 point shooting (26% 3FG), so he worked on it. His senior year he shot 38% from three, and was quoted as saying he needs to get it above 40% for college.

Sam Lecholat 6-6 PF It was tough to follow his progress this winter. He had multiple 30+ games and a handful 14ish point games. He is a tough nosed hard working undersized 4 (we used to call power forward) He is a good three point shooter so he can stretch the floor. He also has the body to bang. I have heard comparison to Danny Robison a little shorter, but more muscle.

Jasper Reinalda 7-3 C I have no idea! Lately I am not a big proponent of true big men in the Big Sky conference. There used to be 2-3 6-10 players on every team. Now it is tough to find a 6-10 or taller player who can run the floor and not become a liability. Not to mention most ref's usually call a foul on a true big man while he's taking off his sweats on the bench. Give me a 6-8 guy like Bello who has some athleticism and can run. Jasper is going to be either huge get or a huge bust. If he can run the floor, aggressively look for his shot and take up space in the middle he could be nightmare in the Big Sky or become the next Bradly Fisher. Again I have no clue. I have not been able to find any video of him longer than 4 seconds. On the plus sire thought he put up some pretty good numbers in 19-20 for what I believe was a pretty good Corvallis OR HS team.

BTW if you like true big men keep your eye on 2022 big man recruit 7-2 William Berg out of Stockholm, Sweden. I think he and the Bobcats are REAL close, That could be a HUGE front line in the 23-24 season
Dang, this was quite the recruiting class for Sprinkle. Obviously Reinalda didn't work out - I think most of us figured he was a 50/50 type recruit anyhow - and the jury's still out on Germer, but Osobor and Battle were home runs. McMahon played well until his injury.
Lecholat started early in the season and has been an important piece coming in off the bench here lately. Really hoping we can keep Osobor around, as @mslacat indicated above. His post moves are incredibly polished for a sophomore. He should only get better.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl: