Tyler Patterson 2020 SG commits

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Post Reply
User avatar
Hawks86
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8912
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: MT

Tyler Patterson 2020 SG commits

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:32 pm



"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Image

User avatar
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired
Posts: 2306
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:00 pm
Location: A completely different country from Bobcat Country

Re: Tyler Patterson 2020 SG commits

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:07 pm

I am not confident in my ability to evaluate high school basketball players from highlight film, so take these observations with enough salt to taste:

The stats say his game is mostly about scoring, especially the three ball and he does it pretty efficiently. 50% from 2 and 35-40% from 3.

Usually guards don't shoot that efficiently on 2-pointers, but it looks like he scores a lot underneath the basket against shorter guards. A 6'7" guard in the Big Sky may be able to play that game.

The release on his jump shot is usually pretty high, but with some inconsistency. Form looks good to me for whatever that's worth, except on the shots with a lower release it looks off.

Most of his 3 pointers are taken within a few inches of the line. The college line is a foot farther back, and I'm not sure any of the shots in the highlights I watched were from that far back. Sprinkle knows a thing or two about shooting 3s at the college level, so if he thinks Patterson will be able to make the transition, his opinion is worth more than my observation.


"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

User avatar
wbtfg
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9438
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 pm

Re: Tyler Patterson 2020 SG commits

Post by wbtfg » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:05 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:07 pm
I am not confident in my ability to evaluate high school basketball players from highlight film, so take these observations with enough salt to taste:

The stats say his game is mostly about scoring, especially the three ball and he does it pretty efficiently. 50% from 2 and 35-40% from 3.

Usually guards don't shoot that efficiently on 2-pointers, but it looks like he scores a lot underneath the basket against shorter guards. A 6'7" guard in the Big Sky may be able to play that game.

The release on his jump shot is usually pretty high, but with some inconsistency. Form looks good to me for whatever that's worth, except on the shots with a lower release it looks off.

Most of his 3 pointers are taken within a few inches of the line. The college line is a foot farther back, and I'm not sure any of the shots in the highlights I watched were from that far back. Sprinkle knows a thing or two about shooting 3s at the college level, so if he thinks Patterson will be able to make the transition, his opinion is worth more than my observation.
Also, I believe he was the league’s defensive player of the year, so not all about scoring.



User avatar
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired
Posts: 2306
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:00 pm
Location: A completely different country from Bobcat Country

Re: Tyler Patterson 2020 SG commits

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:00 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:05 pm
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:07 pm
I am not confident in my ability to evaluate high school basketball players from highlight film, so take these observations with enough salt to taste:

The stats say his game is mostly about scoring, especially the three ball and he does it pretty efficiently. 50% from 2 and 35-40% from 3.

Usually guards don't shoot that efficiently on 2-pointers, but it looks like he scores a lot underneath the basket against shorter guards. A 6'7" guard in the Big Sky may be able to play that game.

The release on his jump shot is usually pretty high, but with some inconsistency. Form looks good to me for whatever that's worth, except on the shots with a lower release it looks off.

Most of his 3 pointers are taken within a few inches of the line. The college line is a foot farther back, and I'm not sure any of the shots in the highlights I watched were from that far back. Sprinkle knows a thing or two about shooting 3s at the college level, so if he thinks Patterson will be able to make the transition, his opinion is worth more than my observation.
Also, I believe he was the league’s defensive player of the year, so not all about scoring.
Whatever he got voted DPOY for I didn't see in the stats or the highlights. That could be on the people who made the videos. Some guys also play really good defense that isn't 'exciting' to watch, too.


"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Lopes87
New Recruit
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:37 am

Re: Tyler Patterson 2020 SG commits

Post by Lopes87 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:45 am

Tyler Patterson is one of the best players on the best team in the state of Washington at the 4A level. The league he is coming from is normally really strong but the boys basketball in Kingco 4A has been down for a couple years. Good individual talent with the right coach that can help continue develop Patterson could be a player MSU fans will love and Montana fans will love to hate. People should be more interested in their WBB who are in the thick of things recruiting one of the most decorated Juniors in the state of Washington her name is Mia Hughes. One of the best basketball player Kingco girls basketball has ever seen. Kingco girls basketball is the top league for the 4A level.



User avatar
LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5033
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:26 pm
Location: Lewistown, MT

Re: Tyler Patterson 2020 SG commits

Post by LTown Cat » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:04 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:00 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:05 pm
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:07 pm
I am not confident in my ability to evaluate high school basketball players from highlight film, so take these observations with enough salt to taste:

The stats say his game is mostly about scoring, especially the three ball and he does it pretty efficiently. 50% from 2 and 35-40% from 3.

Usually guards don't shoot that efficiently on 2-pointers, but it looks like he scores a lot underneath the basket against shorter guards. A 6'7" guard in the Big Sky may be able to play that game.

The release on his jump shot is usually pretty high, but with some inconsistency. Form looks good to me for whatever that's worth, except on the shots with a lower release it looks off.

Most of his 3 pointers are taken within a few inches of the line. The college line is a foot farther back, and I'm not sure any of the shots in the highlights I watched were from that far back. Sprinkle knows a thing or two about shooting 3s at the college level, so if he thinks Patterson will be able to make the transition, his opinion is worth more than my observation.
Also, I believe he was the league’s defensive player of the year, so not all about scoring.
Some guys also play really good defense that isn't 'exciting' to watch, too.
So true. Winning your matchup. Always being in position. Not getting beat off the dribble.


Image

mslacat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5874
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:12 am
Contact:

Re: Tyler Patterson 2020 SG commits

Post by mslacat » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:19 pm

Here is my research on Patterson. I may repeat some info already posted.

Tyler Patterson 6-7 SG Mount Si high school in the Seattle area (Snoqualmie) of Washington. Mt Si was considered to be one of the top 4A schools in Washington last year with a record of 13-0 conference and 23-3 overall. They were ranked in the top 10 the entire season and lost in the State 4A tournament championship game. In 2018-19 Tyler and his backcourt mate junior Jabe Mullins at Mt. Si were named best guard tandem in the state by Prep-Hoops Washington. They should claim that title again this year. Tyler averaged 15.4 points, 4.5 rebounds, 1.4 asistst 1.2 steals while shooting 48% from the field and 40% from three point range. Tyler was named KingCo (the conference Mt. Si plays in) defensive player of the year and All state tournament defensive team (more on that in the quotes). Tyler is ranked by Prep-hoops Washington as the #4 2020 prospect in the state of Washington this year,, just ahead of his teammate Jabe Mullins at #5. In all due diligence there are some them might flip that order. Mullins is a 6-5 point guard who average 18.9 points, 7.4 rebounds and 4.3 assists last year and is said to have 11 D-1 offers, including 4 from Pac-12 schools, not to mention offers from Eastern Washington and Montana. Tyler has grown from 6-3 two years ago to about 6-7 currently and there are some who predict he will top out at 6-8 or so. Tyler is the son of a basketball coach is said to have a high basketball IQ (take that for what it is worth). Tyler visited last week during the Gold-Rush game. He had offers from MSU, Cal Poly, Seattle and USC Santa Barbara with a lot of interest from other schools.
Prep hoops Washington
6/19/19
2020: Making a Case for Number 1

Tyler Patterson– Tyler has shown real potential as a 3 and D type of player and he is continuing to add to his game and frame. He is still on the slender side, but his maturation process seems similar to those guys that slowly, but surely get better and end up finding their way to the pro level. Bottom line, he is a lights out shooter at 6’7. If he gets stronger and more aggressive off the bounce, he has a shot at being viewed as the top prospect in the state.
Prep hoops Washington
3/25/19
Class of 2020: The Class of Wings
2020 6’7 SG Tyler Patterson, Team LaVine (Mt. Si HS) – One of the best shooters and on-ball defenders in the state has slowly but surely added new elements to his game every year. Tyler’s best friend this club season will be the weight room and he has dedicated himself to continuing to get stronger. Countless schools from high major to mid majors are after him and he will ultimately go where he fits best.
Prep hoops Washington
3/7/19
State Tournament All-Defensive Team

2020 6’7 SG, Tyler Patterson (Mt. Si HS) – Another player whose contribution was overlooked by many during the state tournament. He did not put up his usual scoring numbers as teams made sure to stick to him as a shooter on the perimeter, but there is a reason Mt. Si made it to the 4A state title game. Tyler Patterson had the challenge of guarding some of the state’s most explosive perimeter scorers and he held every single one of them to well below average shooting and scoring games. Mt. Si’s wins over Puyallup and Curtis were possible thanks to Tyler’s disruptive defense. His style of defense includes a mixture of basketball IQ, positioning, angles and length. When Tyler got beat off the bounce, he contested every player’s floater and layup attempts and made them difficult. A performance not to be overlooked!
Prep hoops Washington
1/23/19
King Showcase: The Top Shooters

#2 2020 Tyler Patterson, 6’7, SG, Mt. Si HS- Tyler’s shooting form is a piece of art that has been crafted by many hours spent in the gym. He gets his elbow up really high and has no friction from his guide hand, which allows for a smooth release. He is best at catch and shoot threes, but he did show serious improvement in shooting off the bounce. He displayed step backs, side steps and an improved mid-range game, which is developing nicely. *Uncommitted Junior*


Video (hope it works)
https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/tyler- ... 1ffe485dd0



User avatar
BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6187
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: Belgrade, Montana

Re: Tyler Patterson 2020 SG commits

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:57 pm

Very pretty jump shot. Looks like we beat quite a few schools to get him. That's a good sign. Good get for Sprinkle.



User avatar
Hawks86
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8912
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: MT

Re: Tyler Patterson 2020 SG commits

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:34 pm



"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Image

Post Reply