WHO IS FIRED UP FOR BOISE??

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

WHO IS FIRED UP FOR BOISE??

Post by aucat » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:33 pm

If you hurry you can get a plane ticket for anywhere between 700-1200 or so. Or you can look forward
to driving 9 hours and hope the snow drifts don't engulf you.

I hate to be Debby Downer but I continue to believe it would be better to play the tournament at the
site of the regular season champs. At least that would be a great prize for winning the regular season,
and there would be SOME excitement and electricity surrounding some of the games.
As it stands now, the only benefit to winning the regular season championship is you get to hang a banner.

I went to Reno for the BSC tournament. Once. They did a great job putting it on. The only problem was, nobody
in Reno gave a toot about watching any Big Sky teams play. It was like a funeral parlor. You could hear
everything the players on the benches had to say, because that was about the only vocal noise heard,
other than a few cheerleaders and the band.

I fear the same atmosphere will prevail in Boise. Who in Boise gives a hang about our teams?

My hat is off to any Bobcat fans who make the journey to watch our teams play. After watching the absolutely
dismal performance put on by the Lady Cats today against PSU, I think we can safely assume that a rematch
this Tuesday will produce the same result, which was possibly the most boring and uninspiring game all year,
and I have seen all of our home games.

As for the guys, we ended up with two straight losses and dropped from third to sixth. At least the effort by the guys is
admirable, which is more than I can say for the ladies, who are inexplicably inconsistent as to team/player effort.

I understand the challenge of making last minute travel plans, but I swear, if we are going to play the tournament a long
way away from any BSC school, then why even have a tournament? If we can't go back to the regular season champ
hosting the tournament, then just do away with the tournament and award the regular season champ as the NCAA rep.

MSmith1968
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: WHO IS FIRED UP FOR BOISE??

Post by MSmith1968 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:48 pm

aucat wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:33 pm
If you hurry you can get a plane ticket for anywhere between 700-1200 or so. Or you can look forward

I hate to be Debby Downer but I continue to believe it would be better to play the tournament at the
site of the regular season champs. At least that would be a great prize for winning the regular season,
and there would be SOME excitement and electricity surrounding some of the games.
As it stands now, the only benefit to winning the regular season championship is you get to hang a banner.

I went to Reno for the BSC tournament. Once. They did a great job putting it on. The only problem was, nobody
in Reno gave a toot about watching any Big Sky teams play. It was like a funeral parlor. You could hear
everything the players on the benches had to say, because that was about the only vocal noise heard,
other than a few cheerleaders and the band.

I fear the same atmosphere will prevail in Boise. Who in Boise gives a hang about our teams?

My hat is off to any Bobcat fans who make the journey to watch our teams play. After watching the absolutely
dismal performance put on by the Lady Cats today against PSU, I think we can safely assume that a rematch
this Tuesday will produce the same result, which was possibly the most boring and uninspiring game all year,
and I have seen all of our home games.

As for the guys, we ended up with two straight losses and dropped from third to sixth. At least the effort by the guys is
admirable, which is more than I can say for the ladies, who are inexplicably inconsistent as to team/player effort.

I understand the challenge of making last minute travel plans, but I swear, if we are going to play the tournament a long
way away from any BSC school, then why even have a tournament? If we can't go back to the regular season champ
hosting the tournament, then just do away with the tournament and award the regular season champ as the NCAA rep.
Agreed! I would have rather seen them leave it in Reno at least you could afford to go watch.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:57 am

I would believe having a home court advantage in a BSC is far better off for all the teams because they have all played in the gym, there will be fans who attend, and everyone already knows how to navigate around. It also gives a financial bump to the community. It seems like the BSC is trying to market this to a bigger audience who isn't interested.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:07 am

This is being called "Championship Week", and many conferences are indeed playing their tournaments this week. Why is the Big Sky tournament next week? So our lone, tired NCAA entry can play a well-rested team? It seems like we used to have our tournament the same week as most everyone else. Probably a stupid question, but it's been bugging me all day.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:45 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:07 am
This is being called "Championship Week", and many conferences are indeed playing their tournaments this week. Why is the Big Sky tournament next week? So our lone, tired NCAA entry can play a well-rested team? It seems like we used to have our tournament the same week as most everyone else. Probably a stupid question, but it's been bugging me all day.
Most tournaments are next week, including all major conference ones. WCC, summit, a few other minor ones are under way right now.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:30 am

I know it’s a fan forum and a chance to express our views, but we gripe a lot.

Tough season with lots of ups and downs, but wow do we complain a lot!

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:23 am

I dislike the neutral site concept in a league as far-flung and with so many small fan bases. Everyone is better served in a campus gym, where the population at least has heard of the teams. Not many basketball fans in Boise could tell you the 11 members of our league.
Now, on to the bracket. I love our draw. All the teams we match up the worst with (PSU Weber Montana) are opposite us. Would love to see what we can do in a rubber match game with EWU. Can't win 4 if you don't win the first one though, we need that monkey off our backs!

MamaRock
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MamaRock » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:30 am

We went to Reno last year. I believe Boise will be a lot better as far as hype and events for the tourney. They've got fan events planned. Reno was a snooze fest and not just because the cats blew a 20 PT lead to lose their first game but also of you aren't a gambler there's absolutely nothing for families besides Circus Circus. At least we'll have things to do if/when they lose. And if that happens at least Montana is it it as well. We're there for the bobcats but you better believe we'll be rooting on the griz too. Fingers crossed the cats remember fundamentals of the sport and rebound and hustle. They needed to win at least one of the last 2 games but couldn't so that.

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:43 am

Not the best way to end for either team. The tourney in Boise is another terrible decision by Big Sky Conference leadership. I think Binford challenges her team to step-up. She can guide them possibly to the semi-finals. Due to youth and injuries, I don't see them getting farther than that. They'll be better next year and back to a Top 3 Big Sky team. On the men's side, anything can happen. You just don't know what team is going to show up. They are not a good road team. I say they lose in the Quarterfinals. Costello will have a tough decision to make. Both teams are capable of getting to the semis, however, I just don't see it this year! I'm really disappointed that the men couldn't split on the road this past weekend! Nonetheless, Go Cats!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:08 am

aucat wrote:
As opposed to getting to Moscow, Idaho on less than a week's notice? The men's tournament location wouldn't have been decided until late last night, sending teams scrambling to make travel arrangements and find hotel rooms in Missoula. And then there's the parents and other family members who might want to watch their kid play-what's a plane ticket to Missoula cost on less than week's notice? Would there even be any seats available. I can't imagine what a mess that would be. Sure they pulled it off in the past, but there were the horror stories of teams having to bus for day or more up and back. What kind of a tournament experience is that for the players. WAC, Big West, WCC coaches used that to recruit against Big Sky schools.

If having the chance for a big crowd for the championship game is the most important thing-the the old way is the best way...except of course in those years where the host gets upset in an early round and there's nobody there.

Getting a crowd is important. But it's also about the players and coahces. They work hard all season long. They don't deserve to be put through a planes, trains, and automobiles logistical nightmare to get to the tournament and stay in a mom-and-pop motel in Frenchtown because there's no rooms available in Missoula. And they deserve to have their friends and families there to watch them-which was impossible in many cases under the old system.

I don't know how it will go in Boise. It should be better than Reno. At least there's two Idaho schools involved with lots of alumni in that City. My guess is if Boise doesn't work they'll go to a pre-determined campus site. But I think the days of the regular season winner getting to host are over. I don't think the league's athletic directors and coaches will let it go back.

Instead of rehashing this all over for the 1 millionth time, all the arguments for a pre-determined site are well covered in this Q&A between Skyline Sports and former Big Sky deputy Ron Loghry:
http://skylinesportsmt.com/road-to-reno ... hry-part-1

http://skylinesportsmt.com/road-to-reno ... ry-part-2/

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:35 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:08 am
aucat wrote:
As opposed to getting to Moscow, Idaho on less than a week's notice? The men's tournament location wouldn't have been decided until late last night, sending teams scrambling to make travel arrangements and find hotel rooms in Missoula. And then there's the parents and other family members who might want to watch their kid play-what's a plane ticket to Missoula cost on less than week's notice? Would there even be any seats available. I can't imagine what a mess that would be. Sure they pulled it off in the past, but there were the horror stories of teams having to bus for day or more up and back. What kind of a tournament experience is that for the players. WAC, Big West, WCC coaches used that to recruit against Big Sky schools.

If having the chance for a big crowd for the championship game is the most important thing-the the old way is the best way...except of course in those years where the host gets upset in an early round and there's nobody there.

Getting a crowd is important. But it's also about the players and coahces. They work hard all season long. They don't deserve to be put through a planes, trains, and automobiles logistical nightmare to get to the tournament and stay in a mom-and-pop motel in Frenchtown because there's no rooms available in Missoula. And they deserve to have their friends and families there to watch them-which was impossible in many cases under the old system.

I don't know how it will go in Boise. It should be better than Reno. At least there's two Idaho schools involved with lots of alumni in that City. My guess is if Boise doesn't work they'll go to a pre-determined campus site. But I think the days of the regular season winner getting to host are over. I don't think the league's athletic directors and coaches will let it go back.

Instead of rehashing this all over for the 1 millionth time, all the arguments for a pre-determined site are well covered in this Q&A between Skyline Sports and former Big Sky deputy Ron Loghry:
http://skylinesportsmt.com/road-to-reno ... hry-part-1

http://skylinesportsmt.com/road-to-reno ... ry-part-2/
I only know a couple coaches anymore but I bet if you could ask all of them it would be almost unanimous that they want the regular season champ hosting. A neutral site for a tourney in a conference such as ours makes no sense whatsoever.

My guess is the powers that be know this. Reno was a disaster. Boise will be worse. I’d assume in the coming years we go back to how it was done forever. Regular season champ should be rewarded with the tourney.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:41 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:35 am
I only know a couple coaches anymore but I bet if you could ask all of them it would be almost unanimous that they want the regular season champ hosting. A neutral site for a tourney in a conference such as ours makes no sense whatsoever.
I think it would be just the opposite-except for maybe Idaho's women's coach and um's men's coach. Maybe Nuanez can ask them. I'd like to know what the majority of coaches prefer.

Here's an article from Boise: https://www.idahopress.com/news/local/b ... 3393c.html

aucat

Post by aucat » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:09 pm

I can't disagree with Belgrade Bobcat. I don't think the ADs will ever go back to the regular season champ because of the
travel problems. Which leads me to ask just why we need a tournament? When I went to Reno our Lady Cats were the
regular season champs. I was excited to attend. However, I will never forget the feeling of walking into that empty gym
with just a handful of fans. The only crowd "noise" came from the player benches. And to top it all off, our #1 seeded
Lady Cats lost to the bottom seed. The men lost their first game as well. Since we had flown in we managed to make "lemonade out of lemons" and went sight-seeing
for the next several days. We "adopted" Sac State as our favorite team to pull for (sorry Griz, I don't hate you at all, but
I just can't enthusiastically cheer for you. Maybe the men losing 17 of the last 18 to you has a bit to do with it.)

After that very dull experience I swore that I would never go to a neutral tournament site again with no fans present.
What is more boring than a basketball game in an arena with almost no fans present?
Frankly, I was under the impression that there were SOME conferences who don't have a post-season tournament, but I think
I am wrong. Even the Ivy League now has a tournament. I guess it's about money, though I can't imagine the Big Sky makes
anything. As for the players, I wonder, do they REALLY look forward to playing in a tournament? More time away from classes?

I would vote for letting the regular season champ be the NCAA rep if we cannot play on a Big Sky campus. But if we did that,
I think we would be the only conference not to have a tournament.

aucat

Post by aucat » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:21 pm

Also, I read the article from the Boise newspaper. I find it interesting that the Big Sky selected a photo of the arena full to the hilt.
Probably from a Boise State game.

When I watch the Lady Cats vs. PSU this Tuesday, I will be sure to compare the attendance to that depicted in the "cover photo."

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:09 pm

aucat wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:09 pm
Frankly, I was under the impression that there were SOME conferences who don't have a post-season tournament, but I think
I am wrong. Even the Ivy League now has a tournament. I guess it's about money, though I can't imagine the Big Sky makes
anything. As for the players, I wonder, do they REALLY look forward to playing in a tournament? More time away from classes?
Why have a tournament? Two reasons that I can think of: Tradition. ESPN (for the men).

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:11 pm

aucat wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:21 pm
When I watch the Lady Cats vs. PSU this Tuesday, I will be sure to compare the attendance to that depicted in the "cover photo."
Come on-that's not really fair. If the first round women's games were in Moscow (the regular season winner) there wouldn't be very many people there.

aucat

Post by aucat » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:28 pm

Well it is what it is. Right now I think MSU better concern themselves more with
roof integrity on campus.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:02 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:08 am

A rotating pre-determined campus site for the tournament is what the Big Sky does for pretty much every other sport except for basketball, so it wouldn't surprise me if they end up going to that idea if Boise doesn't work out. Volleyball used to also have the regular season champion host, but starting with this year they've switched over to pre-determined campus sites (it will be hosted by MSU in 2020). The issues there are, of course, that attendance will still generally be terrible for games not involving the host team, and especially if the host team gets eliminated early on. I remember going to the 2002 championship game after the Bobcats lost in the semifinals, and the arena basically looked like Reno did the years the tournament was there. There's also the question of whether or not it's fair to have, say, the #2 seed chosen as the pre-determined tournament host and get to play the championship game against the #1 seed on its home court.

Ultimately I think what's best for the conference is to send the best team to the NCAA tournament as often as possible - while there will always be upsets in some years, a true neutral site would seem to lead to the best team winning more often than would a pre-determined campus site that would more often than not allow a lower seed to play on its home court and gain a major advantage by getting to do so.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:31 pm

aucat wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:21 pm
Also, I read the article from the Boise newspaper. I find it interesting that the Big Sky selected a photo of the arena full to the hilt.
Probably from a Boise State game.
Here's a more appropriate photo. It does look like a pretty sweet little arena. How about that floor design?

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:24 pm

For just a few years back in the late 80's, the BSC had the previous year's regular season champ host the tourney. I actually sort of like that idea...i'ts sort of a hybrid between the other 2 formats. The champion does get rewarded for winning the conference, even though it's not until the following season, and you have a pre-determined site. If we're going to agree that it's just too difficult logistically not to have a pre-determined site, I like that idea better than any of the other options, i.e a non-BSC city hosting, or bidding it out to a BSC city, or rotating among all the BSC schools. And it's sort of a consolation prize to the regular season champ, if they end up not winning the tourney. That happened to MSU in 1987-1988. We won the regular season title in 1987 but got upset in the 1st round of the tourney, which was hosted by the 1986 regular season champ. Then we hosted the tourney the next year in 1988 and made it to the championship game as the #3 seed. Those may have been the only 2 years the BSC used that format. It's not ideal, but In many ways I think it might be the best option.