cats - bengals

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Old Skool Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: cats - bengals

Post by Old Skool Cat » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:15 pm

whitetrashgriz wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:The way I see it....Cody is slow, has weak hands and can't jump....but he can shoot. I think that's why he's allowed to roam outside. He also flashes low sometimes like he did last night and threw down the little jump hook off of movement not post up. He can't post up because he can't make a move and hold on to the ball with the defender on his back, he's not athletic enough.. Basically he's big body who takes up space and that's his only advantage!
i agree. it's not an ideal situation, but i think sometimes look at basketball like if you're tall, you have to play center. it's juts not like that. i think the biggest issue is that we just don't have the guys who can play down low. cody definitely isn't that guy, and posting him up makes us more one-dimensional. you don't post up a guy with no post moves just because he's tall. it surprises some, but we're far better off with him and bj on the perimeter. that said, this position needs to be addressed again this offseason, and i look for us to not have this problem next year. [-o<
I am gonna disagree. I have watched games where, when Cody gets down low, he looks pretty darn good and scores easily. I agree he has slow feet and not the best hands, but this may also be a result that possibly no one has ever really worked with him on these aspects. I think he could do a lot of damage if played low post a lot more. At a minimum, he's such a big body that if he at least posted up & made a move to the hoop, he's gonna get hacked more often than not. And he's got a nice shot for a guy his size, so I would assume he would make the majority of his FTs. In fact, he's pretty decent from the line now.

whitetrashgriz
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: cats - bengals

Post by whitetrashgriz » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:46 pm

Old Skool Cat wrote:
whitetrashgriz wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:The way I see it....Cody is slow, has weak hands and can't jump....but he can shoot. I think that's why he's allowed to roam outside. He also flashes low sometimes like he did last night and threw down the little jump hook off of movement not post up. He can't post up because he can't make a move and hold on to the ball with the defender on his back, he's not athletic enough.. Basically he's big body who takes up space and that's his only advantage!
i agree. it's not an ideal situation, but i think sometimes look at basketball like if you're tall, you have to play center. it's juts not like that. i think the biggest issue is that we just don't have the guys who can play down low. cody definitely isn't that guy, and posting him up makes us more one-dimensional. you don't post up a guy with no post moves just because he's tall. it surprises some, but we're far better off with him and bj on the perimeter. that said, this position needs to be addressed again this offseason, and i look for us to not have this problem next year. [-o<
I am gonna disagree. I have watched games where, when Cody gets down low, he looks pretty darn good and scores easily. I agree he has slow feet and not the best hands, but this may also be a result that possibly no one has ever really worked with him on these aspects. I think he could do a lot of damage if played low post a lot more. At a minimum, he's such a big body that if he at least posted up & made a move to the hoop, he's gonna get hacked more often than not. And he's got a nice shot for a guy his size, so I would assume he would make the majority of his FTs. In fact, he's pretty decent from the line now.
i just really don't think so. i've played with him at the college quite a bit over the summer, and he doesn't post up there either. he just doesn't have the moves. i'm not saying that he'll never be able to come up with a decent post move every now and then, but not often or very effectively. he's just not that great of a player, and he's really not a good post player even with his size. he gets muscled around easy, and he's far too slow to have post moves work. if he can't post up guys playing ball in the summer, and he doesn't post up in practice, he's not going to in games. i think you'd be sadly surprised if we decided to start posting him up. as for his free throws, he does have a nice touch, as that's the best part of his game. he's actually a pretty good shooter. hence roaming around the perimeter rather than posting up. let me just say this. i promise you that if he had the skills down low...huse would have him down low. it's not as if a bunch of guys on a message board are seeing something no one has noticed, and huse is unaware. which brings me to the individual coaching. these guys get individual workouts all sumer, and all season. his post moves...or lack of...are not the result of not being coached. it's just not the strength of his game.

do you have to know everything to post here? or just think you do?