my midseason rankings...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

whitetrashgriz
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

my midseason rankings...

Post by whitetrashgriz » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:35 pm

after looking at some stats and future schedules, i had some fun today throwing around some numbers and seeing how each teams stats thus far have reflected in their records. it was actually pretty close. basically all i did was look at about 12-15 of the major stat catergories, and award each team points based on where they stand. if you lead the conference you get 9 points, and work all the way down to one point if you are last in the conference. using these stats only here's how it breaks down.

UNC
WSU
NAU
UM
MSU
PSU
SAC
EWU
ISU

i actually look at this much the same way, although i HONESTLY believe that we are a better team than the griz. i'd keep these ranking identical except for the fact that i'd put msu in at number four and the griz at five. keep in mind this is just how i see is RIGHT NOW. after looking at the remaining 8 games for everyone, i think things could really get shakin up. unc plays 5/8 at home, and their only real difficult game on the road is weber. please keep in mind that for the purpose of ranking their remaining strength of schedule, i basically through out isu, ewu, and sac! this is not meant to disrespect, but i feel like these guys would all have to pull out miracles to make the tourney. after unc, pretty much every other team in the top 6 has about the same schedule. 4 at home, and 4 on the road. however, psu is really tough at home, and they get to play um, msu, and weber all in the comfort of their home floor. that could give them ample opportunity to make a push and finish anywhere from 6th to 2nd in my opinion. here's where the news gets a little worse for us cat fans. we play 5 of our last 8 on the road, and 4 of them are against teams currently in the top 6! winning at um, at unc, at psu, and at nau is not going to be easy.

obviously this is far from an exact science, and i'm not saying with 100% certainty that a team like eastern couldn't put together a run good enough to crack the top 6. but i don't see it happening. here's how i see it playing out for the conference tourney....

UNC
WEBER
NAU
UM
MSU
PSU

i think the cats and griz will once again be playing eachother for the right to move on in the big sky tourney. most likely in missoula. feel free to bump this in a month to see how far off i am in my thoughts!!!! :oops:

do you have to know everything to post here? or just think you do?

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: my midseason rankings...

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:23 am

You may or may not be right on your predictions, however I think many of your points are moot as none of this really matters until conference tourney time.

I would much rather finish 5th or 6th in the regular season and win the tourney than finish first in the regular season and lose out in the championship game.

All that said, if we can get a spilt or sweep this weekend on the road, we'll be in pretty good shape for a top 3 finish for regular season.

whitetrashgriz
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by whitetrashgriz » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:16 am

wbtfg wrote:You may or may not be right on your predictions, however I think many of your points are moot as none of this really matters until conference tourney time.

I would much rather finish 5th or 6th in the regular season and win the tourney than finish first in the regular season and lose out in the championship game.

All that said, if we can get a spilt or sweep this weekend on the road, we'll be in pretty good shape for a top 3 finish for regular season.
well i guess i agree with you. but the same could be said for every single sports related topic discussed on this board. :D every thread about bobcat football is moot because i'd much rather win the national championship than beat the eagles on the road and the griz at home. but i think if you look back over the years of big sky hoops, the 5th and 6th ranked team don't win the conference tourney often. i'd much rather play the griz at home than on the road. this doesn't mean we can't beat whatever team that we happen to face, but i think many people would rather have a #1 seed and a bye and homecourt advantage than a #6 seed and have to win on the road twice. i think you just wanted to be able to use the word "moot" in 2 seperate threads. [-X

do you have to know everything to post here? or just think you do?

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:14 pm

whitetrashgriz wrote:i think you just wanted to be able to use the word "moot" in 2 seperate threads. [-X
touche' sir...