Basketball game atmosphere

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

whitetrashgriz
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Basketball game atmosphere

Post by whitetrashgriz » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:35 pm

prowlalum80 wrote:This is a football state, not a basketball I do not think you will ever see a truly college basketball atmosphere in Bozeman...
i disagree. winning trumps everything. sure, it's easy to say that montana is a "football state" because the only thing that we've ever had any sort of success in is football. and i'm just talking about the big sports here like basketball and football. you think if the cats rattled off three straight big sky championships that the fans wouldn't start coming in droves? what if we wne into the dance as a 14 seed and upset a 3 seed? things like that create a buzz, and bring in more fans. more fans creates a great atmosphere and helps recruiting. better recruits leads to more wins and championships and it comes full circle. the secret is you have to continue your success for a while. can't be one or two hot seasons and then nothing like the griz did a few years ago. they are most definitely a "football school" but they had a hell of a team, beat some bigtime programs, made the march madness field a couple times, knocked off nevada, and had boston college on the ropes. they packed the stands those years, and there was a buzz around town, and for once it wasn't about football. but they couldn't maintain it. all it takes is a sport to win, and win consistently, and the atmosphere changes and the fans come.

do you have to know everything to post here? or just think you do?

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:45 pm

whitetrashgriz wrote:
prowlalum80 wrote:This is a football state, not a basketball I do not think you will ever see a truly college basketball atmosphere in Bozeman...
i disagree. winning trumps everything. sure, it's easy to say that montana is a "football state" because the only thing that we've ever had any sort of success in is football. and i'm just talking about the big sports here like basketball and football. you think if the cats rattled off three straight big sky championships that the fans wouldn't start coming in droves? what if we wne into the dance as a 14 seed and upset a 3 seed? things like that create a buzz, and bring in more fans. more fans creates a great atmosphere and helps recruiting. better recruits leads to more wins and championships and it comes full circle. the secret is you have to continue your success for a while. can't be one or two hot seasons and then nothing like the griz did a few years ago. they are most definitely a "football school" but they had a hell of a team, beat some bigtime programs, made the march madness field a couple times, knocked off nevada, and had boston college on the ropes. they packed the stands those years, and there was a buzz around town, and for once it wasn't about football. but they couldn't maintain it. all it takes is a sport to win, and win consistently, and the atmosphere changes and the fans come.
I agree WTG. In the mid-late nineties the fieldhouse was consistantly packed for most games.

I remember going to games as a student, showing up right at tip off, and not being able to find a seat in the student section. I'd love to see those days again. And yes, I do believe it can get there with the scenario you described.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:59 pm

Growing up, I always had the impression that Montana was way more into basketball than football ... at least at the high school level.

Any state that draws close to 10K for a Class C state tournament game surely qualifies as a basketball crazy state.

It could be that more people are actually at high school bball games during bball season, and that directly competes with MSU for attendance (whereas not nearly as many people actually attend HS football on Saturday afternoons).

But I agree that if the teams were winning and getting some national attention, MSU would suddenly become a "basketball school" in about 5 minutes.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:00 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
UofMTigerFan wrote:The media timeouts are mainly spent pimping the sponsors that pay the big bucks.
The timeouts (media and otherwise) kill the flow of a basketball game. I'd rather they cut the timeouts and go back to quarters like in high school.
So, why does college basketball not divide the game into four quarters, unlike high school and pro ball? Does anyone know the rationale for this....if there is one? You say "go back to quarters"....does that mean that college BB once utilized quarters? If so, how long ago was it changed? I'm just curious.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:10 am

John K wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
UofMTigerFan wrote:The media timeouts are mainly spent pimping the sponsors that pay the big bucks.
The timeouts (media and otherwise) kill the flow of a basketball game. I'd rather they cut the timeouts and go back to quarters like in high school.
So, why does college basketball not divide the game into four quarters, unlike high school and pro ball? Does anyone know the rationale for this....if there is one? You say "go back to quarters"....does that mean that college BB once utilized quarters? If so, how long ago was it changed? I'm just curious.
After a very little bit of research (google) I can't find if college basketball ever had quarters-other than some pre-season experiments. So my statement "go back to quarters" was a bit presumptuous. Most other forms of basketball use quarters-high school (most states), NBA, international.

The arguments I've read against going to quarters in college is that the game is much more free flowing. I think that used to be the case-before the infamous media timeout (which takes place every four minutes or so?) along with the seemingly bottomless amount of timeouts allotted to each team. How many times have you seen it where a team calls a timeout, the ball is put back into play, and instantly there's another media timeout-especially in the first half. It's gotten pretty ridiculous. Putting the media timeouts at the quarter break makes things more predictable (I can go to the concession stand or fridge). Also, there's two more buzzer beating opportunities which can be exciting.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:22 pm

I would also say that back in the 90's we had more talent then we do now. I remember going to games and saying, win or lose those 3-4 cats are great. I don't see that as much any more. Most of the guys we have had in the past 5-6 years would have been bench players in the 90's.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:47 pm

SACCAT wrote:I would also say that back in the 90's we had more talent then we do now. I remember going to games and saying, win or lose those 3-4 cats are great. I don't see that as much any more. Most of the guys we have had in the past 5-6 years would have been bench players in the 90's.
I am also curious why both MSU and UM seemingly have so few Montana kids on their roster in recent years. I think Howard is the only in-state kid for the Cats, and McGillis and Selvig are the only Montana kids for the Griz, I believe. I remember that MSU's last BSC title team in 1996 had three in-state starters, Hatler, Leachman, and Sprinkle, and Sullivan was one of the first guys off the bench. I do think that may partially explain the loss of enthusiasm for the basketball program as well.

whitetrashgriz

Post by whitetrashgriz » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:22 pm

John K wrote:
SACCAT wrote:I would also say that back in the 90's we had more talent then we do now. I remember going to games and saying, win or lose those 3-4 cats are great. I don't see that as much any more. Most of the guys we have had in the past 5-6 years would have been bench players in the 90's.
I am also curious why both MSU and UM seemingly have so few Montana kids on their roster in recent years. I think Howard is the only in-state kid for the Cats, and McGillis and Selvig are the only Montana kids for the Griz, I believe. I remember that MSU's last BSC title team in 1996 had three in-state starters, Hatler, Leachman, and Sprinkle, and Sullivan was one of the first guys off the bench. I do think that may partially explain the loss of enthusiasm for the basketball program as well.
i'd say it's one of two reasons. either the talent just isn't there as of late, or in the 90's us and the griz could get away with recruiting and playing more in-state talent. i'm guessing it's a little of both. what i'm saying, is i don't think either of the schools are passing up talent. in fact, i think sometimes the schools reach for in-state kids and they end up not working out. i think we'll see this play out with one or both of our recruits in our upcoming class. d1 hoops is really tough, and the talent is just getting better. it's just fact that the overall athlete is getting bigger, faster, and stronger. our state produces one, maybe two players tops every year capable of playing at this level. look at our in-staters recently. howard, dissly, durham, faaborg. these are guys that were the cream of the crop in highschool. but let's face it...it's not like their college careers were legendary. they were a good fit in the big sky, but never showed us anything to imply that they could play in a bigger conference. you just can't remain competitive relying on this talent. they are good role players, and that's about it. as far as the hatlers, leachmans, and sprinkles go...i think they benefitted from the time of which they played, except for maybe sprinks. he was flat out a player, and when he got it going, there was no stopping him. same with justin brown before the injuries caught up to him. but some of those other guys were good players, and helped us win, but in my humble opinion would not contribute as much in this era. the fact of the matter is the overall talent in this state just isn't good enough. and the 2-4 kids that have a shot at d-1 end up here or with the griz. occasionally there will be exceptions, but overall that's just the way it is.

CatfaninGA
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatfaninGA » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:13 pm

Too dark, move the benches back to the side they have been on for years. Put the students behind the benches. Put fans who actually show up to the games in the lower bowl seats not the corporation seats who never show up for a game and the seats sit empty all season long.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:27 pm

Very good sized crowd tonight considering that school isn't back in session yet. It looked like they got rid of the student section and sold those seats as reserved tickets. Probably a good idea to get the fans down near the court instead of having an empty student section with everyone else on that side up in the upper seats. Keep winning and the fans will show up! It's a pretty damn simple formula to improve the atmosphere, really.

CatfaninGA
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatfaninGA » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:06 pm

No more Sunday afternoon games.

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:16 pm

CatfaninGA wrote:No more Sunday afternoon games.
Sorry, two more to go- at Sac. St. this Sunday & at Northern Colorado later.

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:24 am

GOKATS wrote:
CatfaninGA wrote:No more Sunday afternoon games.
Sorry, two more to go- at Sac. St. this Sunday & at Northern Colorado later.
Do you know if either or both of those games will also be on Altitude?

msusportsinfo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by msusportsinfo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:19 am

The Sac State game is not on Alitutde--it's just a scheduling glitch that landed it there. The Northern Colorado game is on Altitude on Jan. 31.

Billings Cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Billings Cat » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:14 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
John K wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
After a very little bit of research (google) I can't find if college basketball ever had quarters-other than some pre-season experiments. So my statement "go back to quarters" was a bit presumptuous. Most other forms of basketball use quarters-high school (most states), NBA, international.

The arguments I've read against going to quarters in college is that the game is much more free flowing. I think that used to be the case-before the infamous media timeout (which takes place every four minutes or so?) along with the seemingly bottomless amount of timeouts allotted to each team. How many times have you seen it where a team calls a timeout, the ball is put back into play, and instantly there's another media timeout-especially in the first half. It's gotten pretty ridiculous. Putting the media timeouts at the quarter break makes things more predictable (I can go to the concession stand or fridge). Also, there's two more buzzer beating opportunities which can be exciting.
Frankly, I'd like to see high school basketball in the state move to halves and increase the overall game time. Currently, with the 8-minute quarters we get 32 minutes of play compared to 40 minutes in college. I'd propose something less, like two 18-minute halves with only one mandatory stoppage of play at the first deadball under the 9 minute mark (unlike college where it's every 4 minutes I believe). I think MORE play time produces many more opportunities for exciting play than buzzer beaters.

As far as quarters making things more predictable, don't you know that true fans only leave their seats at halftime! :D

fatcatsat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by fatcatsat » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:52 pm

all i can say is when harrison, hatler, sullivan, lossis, leachman, and company where playing, it was FUN. never missed a game as a student, and watching them against the Orangemen in the dance, i just don't know how you can get those days back. Wow, of course i had about 49 beers before each game, but still FUN.
Do they still have any years of eligability left???

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:00 pm

fatcatsat wrote:all i can say is when harrison, hatler, sullivan, lossis, leachman, and company where playing, it was FUN. never missed a game as a student, and watching them against the Orangemen in the dance, i just don't know how you can get those days back. Wow, of course i had about 49 beers before each game, but still FUN.
Do they still have any years of eligability left???
Threw me for a curve there (couldn't figure out who the hell lossis was #-o ), but I think maybe you meant Lollis, as in Quadre...................

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

fatcatsat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by fatcatsat » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:08 am

i did mean Quadre, well i am not the worlds best speller that is for sure. sorry for the loop, hope you are back on your feet

whitetrashgriz

Post by whitetrashgriz » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:39 am

last nights game is exactly what is wrong with our basketball atmospere. i know i'm a broken record so i'll apologize in advance. :D but all of the creative ideas in the world for the inside of the fieldhouse won't counter having a losing team. winning is everything...in every sport. we could have the most amazing court, seats, scoreboards, banners, concessions, entertainment, cheerleaders, etc., etc., etc., but until we have a team that wins CONSISTENTLY our atmosphere won't change. all year, every year, we win a game or two, then then lose a couple, win a couple, lose a few, win one, lose one... it's just not gonna work. obviously the game this weekend will be good because it's cat griz. and if they win that maybe people will start to forget about how they just lost to a team they should have crushed. but if they lose to the griz, it's gonna take a miracle, and pretty much running the table to get the fans in the stands again. here's hoping they turn it around! [-o<