Lance Allred, from Pinedale, MT to the NBA-book

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

weberwildcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Lance Allred, from Pinedale, MT to the NBA-book

Post by weberwildcat » Sat May 23, 2009 7:59 am

For those that remember WSU's Lance Allred or are interested in reading his book see below. He grew up in Montana, moved to Utah at age 15 with his family. Graduated from East High, lol, yes the same one from the Disney movies, and played at the U of Utah for 2 seasons, transferred to Weber graduated in 2005 after 2 seasons, finally making the Cleveland Cavaliers 3 years later.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Longshot: The Adventures of a Deaf Fundamentalist Mormon Kid and His Journey to the NBA (Hardcover)
by Lance Allred (Author)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
List Price: $25.99
Price: $17.15 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
You Save: $8.84 (34%)
Pre-order Price Guarantee. Learn more.

This title will be released on May 26, 2009.
Pre-order now!
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

Last edited by weberwildcat on Sat May 23, 2009 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

weberwildcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Lance Allred, from Pinedale, MT to the NBA-book

Post by weberwildcat » Sat May 23, 2009 7:59 am

Review
"Hoosiers meets Big Love with a dash of Crime and Punishment. You will never look at an NBA player, particularly those at the end of the bench, the same way again." (Ric Bucher, senior writer, ESPN The Magazine )

"An inspiration for anyone who's ever wanted to succeed at anything that appeared out of reach." (Kenny Mayne, from the Foreword )

Longshot is a must read! It will inspire you and entertain you at the same time. (Dick Vitale )

"Lance Allred is excruciatingly honest without ever feeling sorry for himself. His painful and hilarious odyssey is more inspiring and triumphant than the story of any NBA championship. Allred has written The Glass Castle of pro sports." (Ian Thomsen, senior NBA writer, Sports Illustrated )

In an ingratiating, self-deprecating style...[Allred's] is a genuinely unlikely story, but he relates it with humor, insight, and compassion. (Booklist )

In a devastatingly honest and poignant book of family, basketball and life, Lance Allred, the best writing big man ever, mesmerizes with a memoir born of the cruelty and inspiration of a game that could never hold him down. (Adrian Wojnarowski, author of The Miracle of St. Anthony )

A Paul Shirley-esque tale of a basketball outsider....a welcome departure from cookie-cutter sports autobiographies. (Kirkus Reviews )

"Allred's voice is humorously self-deprecating and youthfully winning." (Publishers Weekly )

"What an incredible life. Lance's story proves that the trials and tribulations he faced made him stronger." (Jim Morris, author of THE ROOKIE )

"Longshot is more than a remarkable sports story. It's a reminder of how much can be accomplished when you never give up on a dream." (Rudy Ruettiger, subject of the original major motion picture "Rudy" )

weberwildcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by weberwildcat » Sat May 23, 2009 8:00 am

When Lance left Utah (after 2002 season)...for reasons you might find interesting in the book...he was considering going to Montana, Utah State and a few others. Lance's dad is an alum of the U of Montana.

Weber's former coach Joe Cravens called Lance and told him he has a full-ride no questions asked and he'll play til he's blue. That and the close proximity to his family he elected to go to WSU.

age 0-15: Montana
15-21: Salt Lake
21-24: Ogden
24-28: All over the world, europe, asia, Idaho Stampede, Cleveland Cavs

college:
2000 grayshirt: utah
2001 fresh: utah
2002 soph: utah
2003 redshirt: wsu
2004 jr: wsu
2005 sr: wsu

Toucat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Toucat » Wed May 27, 2009 4:47 pm

Congratulations to Lance Allred. But actually, it's Pinesdale not Pinedale.

Pinesdale has produced several very good athletes through the years. Pinesdale students generally attend high school in Corvallis. Corvallis' boys track team is heavily favored to win the State Class A meet in Butte this weekend, and several of the athletes are from Pinesdale. Based on top ten results, they should take first in anywhere from 7 to 10 events this weekend.

On a side note, there was a lot of speculation earlier this year that Dalton Sybrant from Corvallis might attend MSU for both football and track, but he accepted a track scholarship to Wyoming.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed May 27, 2009 5:07 pm

Toucat wrote:Congratulations to Lance Allred. But actually, it's Pinesdale not Pinedale.

Pinesdale has produced several very good athletes through the years. Pinesdale students generally attend high school in Corvallis. Corvallis' boys track team is heavily favored to win the State Class A meet in Butte this weekend, and several of the athletes are from Pinesdale. Based on top ten results, they should take first in anywhere from 7 to 10 events this weekend.

On a side note, there was a lot of speculation earlier this year that Dalton Sybrant from Corvallis might attend MSU for both football and track, but he accepted a track scholarship to Wyoming.
So is the entire town of Pinesdale a part of the wacky Fundamentalist LDS thing?

Toucat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Toucat » Wed May 27, 2009 5:50 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:
Toucat wrote:Congratulations to Lance Allred. But actually, it's Pinesdale not Pinedale.

So is the entire town of Pinesdale a part of the wacky Fundamentalist LDS thing?
Yes. My understanding, which I believe to be pretty accurate, is all of the real estate in Pinesdale is owned by Unified Industries, which is a wholly owned subsidiary corporation of the Apostolic United Brethren (AUB) Church. Interestingly, Unified Industries is not a 501(c)(3) organization, so it pays real property taxes to Ravalli County. The homes on the real estate are owned by the individuals, and Ravalli County treats the homes like mobile homes and imposes a personal property tax on the individuals.
Last edited by Toucat on Thu May 28, 2009 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

weberwildcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by weberwildcat » Thu May 28, 2009 8:08 am

Sorry...

I just started reading the book & noticed it was PineSdale.

For anyone interested its actually a very interesting book and entertaining, very well written.

Oh and I had another error in my first post, he moved to Utah at age 7 not 15.

In the book he mentioned that he wanted to play for UM after leaving Utah but the coach wouldn't give him a scholarship so he ended up at Weber. He would have lived back in Pinesdale so I assume its close to Missoula.

He also goes into great detail about the UAB and everything concerning the Pinesdale community.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu May 28, 2009 8:21 am

weberwildcat wrote:Sorry...

I just started reading the book & noticed it was PineSdale.

For anyone interested its actually a very interesting book and entertaining, very well written.

Oh and I had another error in my first post, he moved to Utah at age 7 not 15.

In the book he mentioned that he wanted to play for UM after leaving Utah but the coach wouldn't give him a scholarship so he ended up at Weber. He would have lived back in Pinesdale so I assume its close to Missoula.

He also goes into great detail about the UAB and everything concerning the Pinesdale community.
Thanks for the head's on up on the book...looks to be entertaining. Is it only available through amazon or would it be available at book stores as well?

weberwildcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by weberwildcat » Thu May 28, 2009 4:25 pm

I think it has been released nationwide. I went and bought it at Hastings in Ogden, not sure if thats a local chain or not. I do know he's doing a booksigning in Portland so I think its probably in every major bookstore or at least could be ordered, but Amazon will likely be the cheapest price.

Weltercat
Member # Retired

Post by Weltercat » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:49 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:

Next time you're driving between Hamilton and Missoula take a swing through Pinsdale. Park your car there and start walking around, I absolutely promise you will be run out of town if you are not part of the cult.

"The conservation of natural resources is the fundamental problem. Unless we solve that problem it will avail us little to solve all others." Theodore Roosevelt

MTBobcatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by MTBobcatFan » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:56 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:
Not LDS affliated in any way.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:17 pm

MTBobcatFan wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:
Not LDS affliated in any way.
I assume you mean they aren't legally affiliated with the mainstream Mormon church ... which is true. But the term "Fundamentalist LDS" is still the right one to use to describe them, isn't it? They just follow the practices that the mainstream Mormon church abandoned due to pressure from the Federal government, don't they? They still practice plural marriage and all of that stuff that Joseph Smith wrote about?