Craig Finberg

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RMD
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Craig Finberg

Post by RMD » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:10 pm

I just got word that Craig Finberg passed away this afternoon.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Re: Craig Finberg

Post by HelenaCat95 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:18 pm

I'm very sorry to hear that.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:28 pm

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/articl ... 1/90320008" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:43 pm

Damn, that truly is sad news. Pancreatic cancer is one of the most lethal of all cancers.

My thoughts are with the Finberg family and close friends. He will be deeply missed.

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

whitetrashgriz
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by whitetrashgriz » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:17 pm

rip finny. you were a great guy, and a great coach. you will be truly missed. my thoughts to your family and friends.

do you have to know everything to post here? or just think you do?

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:36 pm

This is terrible news! If anyone has or can find any highlight footage of Finny please post it.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:13 pm

How very sad. Some of my earliest memories are of him playing for the Bobcats.

It's a huge loss for our entire State.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:43 am

I just got the news this morning from the wife of a guy that was a grad asst. at MSU when Craig played. Sad day for all of Montana and beyond, especially the Columbia Falls, Dillon and Bozeman areas. I'm proud to say I got a quote from Craig after a Dillon-Helena High game. I asked him the old AA vs. A question, which I was sure he'd been asked many times and he gave a classy, respectful response. Craig Finberg: Class act.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:12 am

As I get older some of my memories are not as clear as they once were but I still can vividly remember some of my favorite Finny moments: There was his last game as a Senior for CF playing in Hamilton. I think he had 42 pts. There was him and Durham going 2 on 1 on a fast break without the ball ever touching the court. The poor defender would get so turned around by the time they reached the basket he would usually fall down. And there was a game against the griz at home in I think his second or third year. We were not very good and Finny was our best scoring option. The griz played a box and one with their best defender on Finny. This guy stayed with him no matter where he went. Finally Finny got frustrated and started lighting this guy up from 25+ feet everytime down the court. The guy kept looking at the bench like "what the hell am I supposed to do". Great memories, great player, great guy!!!

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:15 pm

gtapp wrote:As I get older some of my memories are not as clear as they once were but I still can vividly remember some of my favorite Finny moments: There was his last game as a Senior for CF playing in Hamilton. I think he had 42 pts. There was him and Durham going 2 on 1 on a fast break without the ball ever touching the court. The poor defender would get so turned around by the time they reached the basket he would usually fall down. And there was a game against the griz at home in I think his second or third year. We were not very good and Finny was our best scoring option. The griz played a box and one with their best defender on Finny. This guy stayed with him no matter where he went. Finally Finny got frustrated and started lighting this guy up from 25+ feet everytime down the court. The guy kept looking at the bench like "what the hell am I supposed to do". Great memories, great player, great guy!!!
I was also in school at the same time and enjoyed the Mick and Finny show for 3-4 years. I have similar memories. Just for all the younger Cat fans perspective, Craig averaged something like 22 points a game his junior year. Most of those points were from LONG range. This was before the 3 point shot. If the 3 point shot would have been in effect, I imagine Craig would have averaged close to 30 points a game. When is the last time the Bobcats had a player that came close to averging anywhere near that amount???? Also, it was not because Craig was a ball hog and shot everytime he touched the ball. Remember that Craig also still holds the Bobcat recoed for assists in a game at 16. He was just a great player and from all accounts a really great guy.

HassFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by HassFan » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:30 pm

I am reposting this link to the CaringBridge from the thread that first announced Craig's illness. People that know his family can leave condolence for the family.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/craigfinberg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fighting Cancer With Every Breath I Take - Conner, You Are An Inspiration !

Old Skool Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Old Skool Cat » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:01 pm

I didn't know the man, but from everything I've ever heard about him, the world just lost one helluva guy. My prayers and condolences go out to his family and friends.

BentonGrizFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BentonGrizFan » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:13 pm

God bless your wife, your brother, and your entire family. I am truly sorry about the loss of your brother, son, friend and bobcat nation member.