I think we could have taken 'em.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

I think we could have taken 'em.

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:32 pm

I'm watching the 64/65 playin game that we would have no doubt been a part of had we beaten Portland State. I'm guessing we would have played Alabama State-who isn't looking too good against Morehead State right now.

Oh well-go PSU, beat Xavier.

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Re: I think we could have taken 'em.

Post by GOKATS » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:00 pm

Not much of a game, good thumpin' by Morehead St. Don't remember the final score but it was 20 points or so. WSU/San Diego St. NIT game is about to tip off. KLO 1430 radio if anyone is interested- I have it on, but dumped the main board so can't provide a link. I don't think the Wildcats have much of a chance, but I wish them the best.

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

c.falls cat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by c.falls cat » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:54 am

I hate that play in game. It seems like such an insult to those two teams, they did everything they were supposed to do to get into the dance but then they are forced to play that game. I know it's on national tv, which is good exposure, but I think if I was part of one of those teams I would rather get whipped by a #1 seed in the big show than play in that game.

BDizzle
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by BDizzle » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:59 am

It's not a play in game!!! Well that is what the NCAA keeps telling everybody. Either way Moorehead State can now say they won a NCAA tournament game and they got the national stage all to themselves last night.

GO GRIZ!

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:45 pm

BDizzle wrote:It's not a play in game!!! Well that is what the NCAA keeps telling everybody. Either way Moorehead State can now say they won a NCAA tournament game and they got the national stage all to themselves last night.
What was the rationale behind adding this game to the tournament in the first place? If it was because they granted one more conference an auto-bid, why didn't they just eliminate one at-large selection, and keep the field at 64? I mean, would any team be left out, that was truly deserving of an invite, if there was one less at-large slot available?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:00 am

The thing I'll never understand about the annual NCAA tourney whining fest is why don't the last 3-4 teams that get in just thank their lucky stars to be in, rather than acting like they've proven to everyone that they 'deserve' to be in. Not everyone does this, but...

Eventually one of those teams will win a national championship, then what? Dont' get me wrong, I love the Cinderella stories that are generated and I understand the disappointment of those that don't make the cut, but how about showing as much gratitude if you get in as you would've shown disgust if you got left out?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:13 am

TomCat88 wrote:The thing I'll never understand about the annual NCAA tourney whining fest is why don't the last 3-4 teams that get in just thank their lucky stars to be in, rather than acting like they've proven to everyone that they 'deserve' to be in. Not everyone does this, but...

Eventually one of those teams will win a national championship, then what? Dont' get me wrong, I love the Cinderella stories that are generated and I understand the disappointment of those that don't make the cut, but how about showing as much gratitude if you get in as you would've shown disgust if you got left out?
That's a great point Tom. You are absolutely correct that no teams that are "on the bubble" for consideration as one of top 65 teams in the country, really has much room to bitch and moan if they don't make it. It's somewhat similar to when we made the playoffs in football in 2006. I think most Cat fans were thankful to be chosen for the field, but I don't think too many of us would have felt we got "jobbed" if we had been left out. That's why I believe that a potential I-A football playoff (like that will ever actually happen...right?) should include 16 teams, rather than just 8. With 16 teams, no one that is left out will really have a legitimate reason to complain that they "deserved" to get into the post-season.

And speaking of college football, every year I am amazed that no one brings up this subject during the NCAA tourney. This time of year, I always find myself thinking about the prospect of "December Madness", if there was a playoff system for I-A. I believe the excitement and hype (not to mention revenue) that would be generated would dwarf that of "March Madness", and that it would soon become the most exciting month in all of sports. But I don't ever hear anyone from ESPN talking about that during the tourney. Out of sight...out of mind I guess.

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by TIrwin24 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:54 pm

And speaking of college football, every year I am amazed that no one brings up this subject during the NCAA tourney. This time of year, I always find myself thinking about the prospect of "December Madness", if there was a playoff system for I-A. I believe the excitement and hype (not to mention revenue) that would be generated would dwarf that of "March Madness", and that it would soon become the most exciting month in all of sports. But I don't ever hear anyone from ESPN talking about that during the tourney. Out of sight...out of mind I guess.
I completely agree. Can you imagine the hoopla that would happen if this were to happen for football?!? It would be spectacular!

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow