2008/2009 MBB: A look back

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Old Skool Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

2008/2009 MBB: A look back

Post by Old Skool Cat » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:07 am

Well the regular season ended less than stellar, but we made a helluva run through the tourney, and gained a lot of well-earned respect from many of the other teams and players. Here's a quick break-down of just some of the things we were able to accomplish this past season:

1) Preseason: the coaches picked us to finish 8th and the media picked us to finish 7th. We were able to prove them both wrong by finishing the regular season in 6th place. And we finished in 2nd place in the Big Sky tourney. All of this with only one senior on the team.
2) We were the only team in the conference to beat regular season champs Weber State, and we did it twice - both times on their floor!
3) We were the only team in the conference to have wins over the #1 (Weber State), #2 (Portland State), and #3 (Montana) teams.
4) Huse picked up his very first win over UM in Missoula as Bobcat head coach. He had a win over the griz in his first season, but that was in Bozeman.
5) The Cats earned quite a few big wins during the season. Colorado, Oregon State, Cal State Fullerton, Long Beach State, Portland State, Weber State (twice), and Montana all fell at the hands of the Bobcats.
6) Montana State earned it's first win in a Big Sky Conference tourney in 10 years (last win was in 1999 over Cal State Northridge), and played in the BSC Championship game for the first time since 1996. *EDIT* 1998
7) Divaldo Mbunga earned 2nd team all Big Sky honors and Will Bynum earned Honorable Mention

I'm sure I'm forgetting some; please feel free to add to this list if you can think or more. Bottom line - we were a very young team this season. With the way we played in the tourney, that's only going to add tremendous experience and potential to everyone we have coming back. When these guys play as a team and have confidence in themselves, they have already proven they can beat anybody. Our goal next year is to put that all together and play great ball on a more consistent basis. Thank you Montana State University Bobcat Men's Basketball - you represented yourselves, your school, and your fans tremendously!
Last edited by Old Skool Cat on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2008/2009 MBB: A look back

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:17 am

We played in the championship game in 1998 as well (I think it was 1998). Nate Holmstadt, Danny Sprinkle, Dan Sullivan et al, got creamed by NAU in Flagstaff. But that tourney run also included a win over the griz. Back then the title game was tape-delayed on ESPN. I tried to avoid all media contact so I could watch the game without knowing the outcome. But my wife, who didn't want to stay up that late checked the score, and the look on her face told me what had happened.

Old Skool Cat

Post by Old Skool Cat » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:27 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:We played in the championship game in 1998 as well (I think it was 1998). Nate Holmstadt, Danny Sprinkle, Dan Sullivan et al, got creamed by NAU in Flagstaff. But that tourney run also included a win over the griz. Back then the title game was tape-delayed on ESPN. I tried to avoid all media contact so I could watch the game without knowing the outcome. But my wife, who didn't want to stay up that late checked the score, and the look on her face told me what had happened.
You are correct about 1998 - I have edited my original post!

Old Skool Cat

Post by Old Skool Cat » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:00 am

some more . . .

[8]) The DUNK! Will Bynum's jam session over WSU's Daviin Davis makes ESPN Top Ten list as the #1 highlight of the day for Tuesday, March 10.
9) The Cats get to play in front of a national television audience on ESPN2