Cats seed?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Cats seed?

Post by Billings_Griz » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:46 pm

Ok, ok, I know I should get ahead of myself (must be the Griz side of me :shock: ) but WHEN the Cats win tonight where will they be seeded?

Because of their sub-500 record will they be a 16 or a shade better?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: Cats seed?

Post by MSU01 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:53 pm

"17" seed - if MSU wins, they will be in the play-in game unless two teams come even more out of nowhere to win the tourney in other conferences. No way in hell would MSU get anything but a 16 even if they could somehow avoid the play-in. I would expect PSU to be a 15 seed probably if they win.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:28 pm

Unfortunately I see us headed for a play in game. Although our OOC wins at the beginning of the season might help us avoid it, but we had such a losing streak going into the tournament.

This is all a big IF we beat PSU. [-o<

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

CPACAT
Member # Retired

Post by CPACAT » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:41 pm

16 seed but not a play in game.

Cleveland State and North Dakota would get that honor ahead of us.

IYAACYAS

catpound
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catpound » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:49 pm

Play in game. It would be good, though, because it would give the Cats a chance to win a tourney game. (good for recruiting) If they go in just as a 16 seed, they wouldn't have the chance to win a game. (they would get someone like UNC, Pitt, or UConn) Plus, with being in the play-in game everyone in the whole country will be watching that game because nothing else will be on TV college basketball wise. Cleveland State will not be in play in game. Probably around 14 seed. they have a pretty good record, they beat 17th ranked Butler in their championship and should have beaten them both times during the regular season.

bozbobcat
Member # Retired

Post by bozbobcat » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:59 pm

I remember that the Bobcats were a SportsCenter stat of the day once...the team with the most wins in college basketball without an NCAA tournament win. If we beat Portland State, we will be in the play-in game. And the play in game counts as an NCAA tournament win. I'm just amazed how this season turned around so quickly...from dead to discussing the possibility of a trip to the NCAA tournament and our first-ever tournament win.

GO CATS!
It's always a good day to be a Bobcat fan! :) =D^ \:D/
My name is Steve, if you'd like to know.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:02 pm

They're talking NDSU as a 13 seed. The play in teams are usually from the MEAC or the SWAC or the Patriot League or something like that. Cleveland State had 20 + wins and the Horizon is pretty well regarded. It won't be them.

CapitalCityCat
Member # Retired

Post by CapitalCityCat » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:27 pm

I really hate to look past tonight, but I'd have to say based on our record alone, we'd be a play-in team. However, I don't think that the Big Sky Conference is historically the worst conference, so that may be enough to bump us up a spot or two. Either way, WHEN we get past PSU :wink: , we'll be no higher than a 16-seed. Bring on Louisville! Or Pitt, UConn, or UNC......

Retiring my moniker. It's time to ride off into the sunset. It's been a fun ride. Go Cats.

catamaran
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by catamaran » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:28 pm

All I know is half a dozen heads would spontaneously combust if MSU matched up with UNC in the first round

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

CATS2000
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by CATS2000 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:35 pm

catamaran wrote:All I know is half a dozen heads would spontaneously combust if MSU matched up with UNC in the first round
If Harlod "The Show" can beat UNC so can the 'Cats!

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:36 pm

catamaran wrote:All I know is half a dozen heads would spontaneously combust if MSU matched up with UNC in the first round
*raises hand...guilty*

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

BgCATfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BgCATfan » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:03 pm

Since I grew uo in Oklahoma, a Mbunga, Blake Griffin matchup would be fun to watch. (maybe not fur Coach Huse) :shock:

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:06 pm

Regarding the play-in game, I think it stinks that two mid-major teams get stuck in it every year when it was the power conferences that bitched and moaned to get the 65th team added to the tournament so they could keep the same number of at-large bids when the MWC was created and received its automatic bid. I think the last two at-large teams selected for the tournament should go to the play-in game and play each other for a 12/13 seed, meaning that all of the automatic qualifiers from small conferences would still get their shot at the North Carolinas and UConns of the tournament. For the TV networks, a game between, say, Michigan and Maryland would get a lot more interest than a game between two teams most people have probably never heard of.

If MSU wins tonight and avoids the play-in round, it will be a bigger upset than beating UM, Weber, and PSU back-to-back to win the Big Sky in the first place. Let's not kid ourselves here!
Last edited by MSU01 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:07 pm

I'm hoping for Oklahoma. That would be a fun game to watch I think. I really hope (if we win) that Fullerton can pull some strings for us and get us out of the play-in game.

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:36 pm

MSU01 wrote:Regarding the play-in game, I think it stinks that two mid-major teams get stuck in it every year when it was the power conferences that bitched and moaned to get the 65th team added to the tournament so they could keep the same number of at-large bids when the MWC was created and received its automatic bid. I think the last two at-large teams selected for the tournament should go to the play-in game and play each other for a 12/13 seed, meaning that all of the automatic qualifiers from small conferences would still get their shot at the North Carolinas and UConns of the tournament. For the TV networks, a game between, say, Michigan and Maryland would get a lot more interest than a game between two teams most people have probably never heard of.

If MSU wins tonight and avoids the play-in round, it will be a bigger upset than beating UM, Weber, and PSU back-to-back to win the Big Sky in the first place. Let's not kid ourselves here!

Though I agree with you, there's actually an NCAA rule that mandates that 1/2 of all teams in the post-season be at-large. So while the power conferences were undoubtedly pleased to reap a ton more money, the additional team was going to happen whether they pushed for it or not. That said, I agree with you. Nothing bores me more than watching the 7th place team in a power conference in the tournament.

We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:59 pm

There are 65 teams, so it's not 1/2 auto and 1/2 at-large. I thought I read somewhere that there are 34 at-larges. If the old 64 team field was half and half, they would have needed to add two teams to keep it half and half.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:06 pm

What is our SOS and RPI? We had some decent wins over the course of the season.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:01 pm

When I checked this morning our RPI was 212 and our SOS was 240.

oldcatfan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by oldcatfan » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:50 pm

I would bet my bottom dollar (if I had one) that we would not get the play-in game. There will be other sub-500 winners of mid-major or minor conferences, but two things in our favor, if we win tonight: body of work earlier--wins against Colorado, Oregon State, Utah Valley...add to that a strong finish, which the committee likes--I doubt we're headed to a play-in game because of a sub 500 record.

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:04 pm

I would think it will be the play-in game.

A sub .500 record.

A 6th place finish in a conference ranked 22nd in RPI.

The "good" win against Colorado? Not really so good. They had an RPI lower than MSU's. Oregon State has an RPI of 142. Utah Valley has an RPI of 240. None of those are likely to open any eyes. Your best wins were probably Weber (RPI of 108).

You have 3 losses to teams with RPIs under 270 and a handful between 200 and 250 (ouch).

And finished well? Prior to the tournament, you'd lost 7 of 9 games.

I just don't see two teams with worse resumes making the field, although stranger things have happened.

That all said, the Cats have played very well the last two games.

We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.