cat - griz #3.....

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

whitetrashgriz
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: cat - griz #3.....

Post by whitetrashgriz » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:46 am

twentythreeOh4 wrote:
whitetrashgriz wrote:wow...this thread really got derailed. i guess i should have known better than to attempt an actual post relating to basketball, and this weekends match-up. i'm a little surprised that some griz fans seem to be so confident regarding this weekend. i agree with billingsgriz that the nod should go to the griz based on home-court advantage. but i really don't think these guys are separated by very much when it comes to talent. like i said, if the cats can finally get out of this shooting slump, we could have a great game on our hands. shocking that eastcoastgriz couldn't post without turning it into smack. thanks for that. although i can hardly blame you. over on egriz the mods, edit, delete, and ban like it's there job, and you wouldn't get away with posts like that. at least if it's anti-griz. here, you pretty much can post whatever you want, even if you look like a clown in the process.
I'm not expecting a blow out, and certainly anything can happen in any given game, but to imply that a "shooting slump" is the difference between the two teams just isn't backed up by the facts. Let's look at the stats for the 16 games in conference play.

MSU is dead last in the conference in FG percentage.
6.Montana............. 16 359 808 .444
9.Montana State....... 16 332 841 .395

MSU is also dead last in 3 pt FG percentage.
6.Montana............. 16 95 261 .364
9.Montana State....... 16 91 302 .301

And even when there is no defense, MSU is dead last in FT percentage.
1.Montana............. 16 237 306 .775
9.Montana State....... 16 245 373 .657

Meanwhile, UM is first in the conference in FG percentage defense.
1.Montana............. 16 344 850 .405
6.Montana State....... 16 393 842 .467

And UM is 2nd in 3 pt FG percentage defense.
2.Montana............. 16 85 257 .331
6.Montana State....... 16 98 256 .383

It's not a shooting slump, MSU is just the worst shooting team in the conference and UM is one of the best defensive teams in the conference. The shooting percentages in the first 2 games were no fluke.
i don't disagree with anything you wrote. but maybe "slump" was the wrong choice of words. my point was, i would rather see our struggles this year be shooting woes, rather than rebounds, turnovers, or lack of defense. and while msu is dead last in fg percentage and 3pt percentage, um is sitting in 6th so it's not like they are lights out. and i agree with the free throw percentage. my point is, these guys are college athletes, who are CAPABLE of making free throws. if they miss them, and a majority of their three, then we'll get ran out of the gym....like i said. there is no denying that the griz play good defense, but i have also been to games where the cats shot pretty well. all i'm saying is that there is no pressure on the cats what-so-ever to win this game, and if they shoot even a little better than they have been, there is no reason they can't.

do you have to know everything to post here? or just think you do?

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:08 am

Well, those stats just state the fact that MSU is "due" to shoot lights out. :wink:

I still like the Griz at home but this one will go down to the wire. Heck, it's March--there are no blowouts.

I love College Hoops in March. =D^ =D^ =D^ =D^ =D^ =D^

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:54 pm

Billings_Griz wrote:Well, those stats just state the fact that MSU is "due" to shoot lights out. :wink:

I still like the Griz at home but this one will go down to the wire. Heck, it's March--there are no blowouts.

If you think there are no blowouts this time of year, then you haven't been paying attention to MSU's scores, have you?

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:00 pm

Billings_Griz wrote:Funny thing about that year is thats the year Holst took the Griz to the big dance only to lose his job to Kennedy? :evil: (well, it wasn't really funny)

For all of us who love to bash Peter Fields (and I am as gulity of that as anyone), at least he's not as bad as Wayne Hogan was, during his tenure at UM. I thought it was unforgivable for him to fire a guy who won one regular season BSC title, and one tournament title, during his four years on the job, just so Hogan could hire his old drinking buddy from FSU, Pat Kennedy.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:07 pm

twentythreeOh4 wrote:
whitetrashgriz wrote:wow...this thread really got derailed. i guess i should have known better than to attempt an actual post relating to basketball, and this weekends match-up. i'm a little surprised that some griz fans seem to be so confident regarding this weekend. i agree with billingsgriz that the nod should go to the griz based on home-court advantage. but i really don't think these guys are separated by very much when it comes to talent. like i said, if the cats can finally get out of this shooting slump, we could have a great game on our hands. shocking that eastcoastgriz couldn't post without turning it into smack. thanks for that. although i can hardly blame you. over on egriz the mods, edit, delete, and ban like it's there job, and you wouldn't get away with posts like that. at least if it's anti-griz. here, you pretty much can post whatever you want, even if you look like a clown in the process.
I'm not expecting a blow out, and certainly anything can happen in any given game, but to imply that a "shooting slump" is the difference between the two teams just isn't backed up by the facts. Let's look at the stats for the 16 games in conference play.

MSU is dead last in the conference in FG percentage.
6.Montana............. 16 359 808 .444
9.Montana State....... 16 332 841 .395MSU is also dead last in 3 pt FG percentage.
6.Montana............. 16 95 261 .364
9.Montana State....... 16 91 302 .301

And even when there is no defense, MSU is dead last in FT percentage.
1.Montana............. 16 237 306 .775
9.Montana State....... 16 245 373 .657
Meanwhile, UM is first in the conference in FG percentage defense.
1.Montana............. 16 344 850 .405
6.Montana State....... 16 393 842 .467

And UM is 2nd in 3 pt FG percentage defense.
2.Montana............. 16 85 257 .331
6.Montana State....... 16 98 256 .383

It's not a shooting slump, MSU is just the worst shooting team in the conference and UM is one of the best defensive teams in the conference. The shooting percentages in the first 2 games were no fluke.
Wow, those are some pretty ugly shooting stats. Less than 40% on FG, and barely 30% on 3-pointers? That must make the guys like Domako and Sprinkle, who played on some of those great shooting teams of the mid to late 80's and mid to late 90's, just absolutely cringe.

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:30 am

John K wrote:
Billings_Griz wrote:Well, those stats just state the fact that MSU is "due" to shoot lights out. :wink:

If you think there are no blowouts this time of year, then you haven't been paying attention to MSU's scores, have you?
Yes, I said March but meant tourney games. And yes, I know there will be blowouts but there are also upset shockers--that's why I love March Hoops! I just don't think this game will be a blowout....

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:02 pm

56-54 Cats in round 3. Who'd-a-thunk it? Not me. I gave us no chance and I still can't believe it.

But this is a sweet, sweet win. It exercises a few demons anyway.

Congrats Cats and thankyou. As far as I'm concerned-whatever happens at Weber is just gravy.

msutrackfan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by msutrackfan » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:38 am

We all know who gave Weber their only conference loss and at WSU as well. GO CATS! Sure would like to see a similar performance :D

CATS2000
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by CATS2000 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:13 pm

Wow - 'Cats fought hard all 40 minutes and came out with the win ending the griz season. They won in Ogden before so hopefully they can get mentally prepared for a hostile crowd and a good team in Weber. Congrats 'Cats! Keep it goin'!

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:27 pm

Great win!! Now let's thump the Wildcats at home again.

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

MaZooLaGriz
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by MaZooLaGriz » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:17 pm

GOKATS wrote:Great win!! Now let's thump the Wildcats at home again.
Absolutely... get 'em ALL!

Everything is always on its way somewhere.

Weltercat
Member # Retired

Post by Weltercat » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:29 pm

Eastcoastgriz wrote:I am personally looking forward to another beat down of the cats. The only thing better than beating the cats 3 times in a season, would be to beat them 4 times. GO GRIZ!!!
So eastcoastgriz how did this one come out man???? I didn't see the score..

"The conservation of natural resources is the fundamental problem. Unless we solve that problem it will avail us little to solve all others." Theodore Roosevelt

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:50 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:56-54 Cats in round 3. Who'd-a-thunk it? Not me. I gave us no chance and I still can't believe it.

But this is a sweet, sweet win. It exercises a few demons anyway.

Congrats Cats and thankyou. As far as I'm concerned-whatever happens at Weber is just gravy.

My thoughts exactly, though I think the term you were looking for was exorcise, unless you are into taking a couple of demons out for a quick jog. :P :mrgreen:

From what I saw on BSTV - which has been a godsend this season - the Cats dominated the first half, though the score may not have showed it. For the game, I counted 18 - give or take a couple - missed shots inside 5 feet for the Cats, and most of those were in the first half. A good number of those were tips around the basket that just would not fall. All 6 of the first 6 shots the Cats took were from inside 3 feet from the hoop, and 5 of them somehow rolled out or bounced just wrong, and I was thinking, here we go again. But they fought through it, mainly on the strength of their rebounding. It was a gritty, tough, and intelligent game played by the Cats. For the first time in a long time, they delibrately ran a half court offense almost every time down the floor and it worked. They were patient, didn't get flustered, and played very mature. Navarre might have had his best game as a point guard in an MSU uniform. He just looked so much more composed, and not so helter-skelter. And what can you say about Bynum. He's gonna be fun to watch next season - lets hope he works on his shooting touch over the summer. If he develops his midrange jumpshot and his freethrows, he'll have the total package.

And to think they won without any minutes from Danny or James. Huse's subbing was very efficient. When I looked at the box score, I couldn't believe the only Bobcat to log over 35 minutes was Divaldo. BJ hit some big shots in the first half, and Bobby hit some in the second. A complete team win.

Give Weber hell, Bobcats.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Eastcoastgriz
Member # Retired

Post by Eastcoastgriz » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:35 am

Weltercat wrote:
Eastcoastgriz wrote:I am personally looking forward to another beat down of the cats. The only thing better than beating the cats 3 times in a season, would be to beat them 4 times. GO GRIZ!!!
So eastcoastgriz how did this one come out man???? I didn't see the score..
Great win for the cats. Won when it mattered most. Good luck at the tourney.

The GRIZ, a quarter century of total football dominance over the cats.

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:19 am

I was right on it being close but the wrong team won. #-o

Good win Cats....bastards. :lol: