mbb vs Idaho State

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Re: mbb vs Idaho State

Post by Helcat72 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:34 pm

I think Huse blew up at Hennessy because the turnover was caused by an attempted blind behind-the-back pass that was intercepted.

I agree that the assistants pretty much don't do anything during the game. They look like they are there to observe and don't really add anything to the timouts. Priebe comes up to the Ogle room before every game and gives us the rundown on what the oppponent is going to try and do during the game and what their strengths are and such. He says the same thing every time...the guys are really fired up and "this time we are going to take care of business!" He used to ask for questions but it seemed like the ones that were asked he didn't try to answer too well ...so last night he didn't even ask! Then when the game starts there is no indication of what he said taking place. So either he is lying....or not really in on the game plan! He strikes me as a hanger on rather than a leader!
Last edited by Helcat72 on Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2024 Resume dominance

orsalak
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by orsalak » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:36 pm

Old Skool Cat wrote:Someone mentioned earlier that this team is young, and indeed they are, very young. So there's time. But bad play and bad attitudes become contagious and we need to turn it around the see positive results next season. I'm not sure this season can be fixed, but I'm no Nostradamus be any means. They could flat out surprise me. We need at least one more conference win, probably, to ensure our spot in the BSC tourney. But it's gonna be hard, as there are no gimmes left in Weber, Portland State, & Northern Colorado.
I agree making the tourney will be very hard this year as it feels like we are going to lose our last four conference games and five total.
Will next year be better? I don't think so. Maybe give coach Huse two more years if we are below .500 for those years he has got to go!

22-0

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:38 pm

orsalak wrote:
Old Skool Cat wrote:Someone mentioned earlier that this team is young, and indeed they are, very young. So there's time. But bad play and bad attitudes become contagious and we need to turn it around the see positive results next season. I'm not sure this season can be fixed, but I'm no Nostradamus be any means. They could flat out surprise me. We need at least one more conference win, probably, to ensure our spot in the BSC tourney. But it's gonna be hard, as there are no gimmes left in Weber, Portland State, & Northern Colorado.
I agree making the tourney will be very hard this year as it feels like we are going to lose our last four conference games and five total.
Will next year be better? I don't think so. Maybe give coach Huse two more years if we are below .500 for those years he has got to go!
How can it be better? We have one senior and already have two recruits slated to come in. non of which are shooters!

2024 Resume dominance

4everacatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by 4everacatfan » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:45 pm

DawsonPirate wrote:One blogger said it perfectly. " all the assistants huddled in the center of the floor." This is while Huse is coaching. That message tells you alot. The problem is the disconnect of players and coaches. Huse is rough and fair ---- but you need an assistant that motivates and counsels on mistakes or good play. This staff does not have this nor do their personalities show those traits.

You have a young team --- however next year is the year.... I would seriously look at making some changes on the assistant sides. What do Starr and Priebe real bring to this program? Carson we all know is the director of basketball operations. If Huse was to go I would look hard at Sprinkle.
- NO WAY !!! Let us not forget that all these guys who we are dealing with was during the Sprinkle recruiting time. One note I am here in Bozeman this weekend for some business and went to the game last night and did Henderson play good the first half yes but then came back to earth in the second half when he tried to do too much that to me is a big part of this teams problem too many guys think they have to be the MAN and they cannot but if they would all accept their role and stay within those roles we would be doing much better. I do not know what has happened to Dvialdo but he has seemed to check out completely maybe not getting the ball when he is clearly got his man pinned has got to the point where he is saying why bother. Also there was no spark last night BJ I wish you would give more EFFORT on both ends When ISU is laying it up and you still have not gotten back past half court on D no wonder Huse explodes on you and how about helping on Defense once in awhile if your guy sets the pick. Too me we are down 4 with 7 minutes and some guys were not even hustling back on Defense. I can understand a bad shooting nite but never is a bad nite on defense acceptable. Also watching Hennessey hobble off and the trainer working on him the first half I think he had a pretty serious knee injury as well. I do not know what Bobby's status is for the stretch run but I hope he gets back next week whether you like his shot selection or not he does play hard and yes he does have some ups and downs but he makes plays happen and from what I have heard from people he does give us a spark and he sparks his teammates. Not having him last night ISU was able to focus their defense a little more on Rush and Piepoli on the outside not that BJ cannot hit the shot but he has not proven he can this year and he is not the threat that Bobby is to drive to the hole.

I do not want to right off this team and these coaches some of you say the assistants do nothing on the bench sitting in the front row last nite across from the bench I do see Carson talking to the players coming off the court and when a guy comes out of the game All three of the others are making contact with them. Let us not forget that some of this may possibly be coach Huse wants one voice on the bench during the game and that should be his. I have watched a couple practices this week from the balconey and those coaches do their best work in practice getting those guys to work on the little things.

One of the things that does bother me is the first half we were getting the ball inside and our bigs were not finishing but the minute things did not work it seemd like Bynum and Navarre panicked the second half and quit going to what worked for us the first half. That is when Huse has to step up and sit those two for whoever and say stay with in the game plan or else. Numerous times this past week Huse talked on TV about distributing the ball and knowing who our scores are that to me is squarely on the guards shoulders. I for one as talented as Bynum is am tired of watching him dribble in 1 on 5 and watching him throw up a prayer. This was my last game this season to see in person, I hope these guys can take the attitude that they are still in the playoffs and just give it there all these last three weeks because unfortunately they did not do that last night.

JMO

Old Skool Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Old Skool Cat » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:19 pm

by 4everacatfan on Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:45 pm

One of the things that does bother me is the first half we were getting the ball inside and our bigs were not finishing but the minute things did not work it seemd like Bynum and Navarre panicked the second half and quit going to what worked for us the first half. That is when Huse has to step up and sit those two for whoever and say stay with in the game plan or else. Numerous times this past week Huse talked on TV about distributing the ball and knowing who our scores are that to me is squarely on the guards shoulders. I for one as talented as Bynum is am tired of watching him dribble in 1 on 5 and watching him throw up a prayer. This was my last game this season to see in person, I hope these guys can take the attitude that they are still in the playoffs and just give it there all these last three weeks because unfortunately they did not do that last night.
I agree with that part about Bynum. He was doing the same two weeks ago in the griz game and it wasn't working then, either. First of all, he's a good ballplayer, but that's not his strength. Like you pointed out, when he does this, the shots he throws up are just ridiculous. And if he does make it to the line, he's one of our worst shooters. And he's a guard for crying out loud!

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:24 pm

Sprinkle won't ever be back here. He loves Cali too much. And he's not that great of a coach from what I've heard. Good player's coach, but very lackluster in the X's and O's department.

oldcatfan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by oldcatfan » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:03 pm

This thread is absolutely amazing--everybody on here knows everything about everything--same as you do about football. It must be wonderful to be an expert at everything!

:roll:

On a more serious note---I wouldn't get too critical of assistants and their roles. Starr and Priebe are both quiet guys by nature, kind of like Orton and Sprinkle were--quiet and attention to detail. I think one fiery coach on the sideline is enough. Unless you've seen them in action at practice, I wouldn't bellyache too much about what their game duties are---One thing I can tell you about Priebe is that he is a good recruiter--he had that reputation before he came here. Huse knows what he is doing, but just remember this is his first D-1 head job, I believe, so I think he gets more than three years before he gets the boot. If he hadn't been left with a completely bare cupboard, it might be different.

eastcoastcat
New Recruit

Post by eastcoastcat » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:48 am

Is there anyone else on the team who can create their own shot other than Bynum? Some of the shots look unorthodox, but also are creative depending on your point of view. Bynum has been the Cats best player in conference play. He leads the team in scoring, FG percentage, 2nd in blocks (as a guard), and leads the entire BSC in steals. I think most will he agree he's the Cats best defender as well. He isn't perfect by any means. He needs to work on his free throw shooting. But I can't think of anyone on the team who's playing better overall in conference games than Bynum.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:16 am

eastcoastcat wrote:Is there anyone else on the team who can create their own shot other than Bynum? Some of the shots look unorthodox, but also are creative depending on your point of view. Bynum has been the Cats best player in conference play. He leads the team in scoring, FG percentage, 2nd in blocks (as a guard), and leads the entire BSC in steals. I think most will he agree he's the Cats best defender as well. He isn't perfect by any means. He needs to work on his free throw shooting. But I can't think of anyone on the team who's playing better overall in conference games than Bynum.
:goodpost:

Will has been the only guy who has tried to step up in the last few games, it seems. He might be the guy that steps up as our leader next season.

I have a couple of questions for you guys..

1) What the hell happened to Eric Rush? He was guarded by Matt Stuki all night, and even though Stuki is a senior and has much more expereince, he is slower and less atheletic than Rush. Eric did absolutely NOTHING in that game. He wasn't even looking to shoot. For someone who has the physical tools to dominate a game, he sure lacks confidence. He could have driven into the lane any number of times and elevated over the slower defender and at least tried to get a decent shot off.

2) I liked the play of Cam Henderson in the first half. Maybe he should have played some more minutes in the second half?

3) Does anyone else thing Mbunga tries to do everything too fast? he tries to move to fast, shoot too soon, rushes his shot, etc. I think that is one of the reasons he misses so many bunnies.

Oh, and that blond headed fool of a ref must be Eric Curry's brother or something. I still don't understand how we can get so royally screwed by the officials more often than not when we play at home... At one point, the entire crowd booed that blond guy for almost 2 full minutes. He had at least a half dozen absolutely terrible sequences where he either made the wrong call (three tipped ball plays), or didn't call a blatantly obvious foul, like in the first half when an ISU player took out Rush's legs on a loose ball that ended up in a fast break layup for ISU. Or the obvious charge call that he called a block, then on the other end called the same play a charge on MSU.

I get so sick of complaining about the officiating, but will continue to point out their ineptitude. When an offensive player is going after a rebound and meets a defensive player coming in from the opposite drection, if they meet at the ball and it goes out of bounds BEHIND THE OFFENSIVE PLAYER'S HEAD how can it be called off of the offensive player? It's simple physics.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Ponycat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Ponycat » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:46 pm

Erik Rush dislocated his hip in practice and is having some issues with his foot.
Hennessy didn't play in the second half due to torn miniscus in his knee.
Not sure why Navarre was limping but he looked hobbles.

I am pretty disappointed in how this year has gone but you nay-sayers who are calling for Huse's head have to remeber that we have ONE senior on this team. The team is very young and this is Huse's first year with mainly his guys, and really only 4 player returning with playing time. Huse has made the tournament his first thwo seasons and we have an above average chance of making it again this year. I don't always agree with his style of play or coaching, but there is a reason why I am not coaching college basketball. Also, whoever said that Huse's 3-year record is worse than Durham worst three years, is either a jonny come lately or someone with a very short memory.

Give me a break and give these kids a break. We are right were we were with last years team when we had all those great leaders I keep hearing about and when we the ended conference at 7-9. We'll make the tourney this year and have two more years with Howard, Rush, Peipoli, and Brown making up a pretty solid base.

I am by no means OK with a .500 team but I'm willing to give any coach 5 years to get his program in place, especially when taking over a program that was a complete wreck.

The devil made me do it the first time... the second time I done it on my own.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:40 pm

Ponycat wrote:Erik Rush dislocated his hip in practice and is having some issues with his foot.
Hennessy didn't play in the second half due to torn miniscus in his knee.
Ahh. That explains the lack of production. What a schitty time for a bunch of injuries. Bobby out, Rush and Hennessy playing hurt...

So it comes down to beating PSU or UNC on the road, or beating league leading WSU at home to make they BSC Tourney...

Oh well, as Cubs fans have been saying for a century, "There's always next year!"

#-o

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl: