Can I get my money back?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kcatz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Can I get my money back?

Post by kcatz » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:41 pm

I don't understand why we didn't run their butts off! They were down 3 players (4 by 8 1/2 left). We were down 4 points with double foul shots (not even in bonus yet) and had 4 more players and we couldn't even stay close!!

It makes no sense to me

thecitygriz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by thecitygriz » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:48 am

we griz fans have been mighty critical of tinkle these past three years but through it all i've maintained that he is a first-class recruiter. he's brought in the first two three-star recruits in griz history--rundles and selvig--together with the north dakota high school player of the year--qvale--not to mention anthony johnson. next year he brings in at least one kid that i am absolutely stupefied he was able to recruit--will cherry, a guard who scored 23 points and had 14 rebounds in leading his team to a win in last year's major high-school division california championship game. rundles didn't pan out (nor did austin swift, another california kid i had high hopes for) but to get these kids, tinkle has won some battles. if you believe recruiting is at least half the battle--and i do--then tinkle is doing his job.

when i think of huse, i think of a krysko clone. the two are extremely close, and seem to share a lot of personality traits--a grim, no-nonsense, hustle-your-butt work ethic, combined with a knight-like ability to rip into a kid in front of fans, teammates and tv cameras. i reject this style. i wonder if players really do too, and if it doesn't carry over to the recruiting trail, where neither knight nor krysko excelled, and huse is only fair. he may have out-recruited us when it comes to next year's post players, but except for that, howard was a lock for the cats, and rush is his only other stellar recruit in three years. in this regard, sprinkle was a huge loss, because i agree with those big sky coaches who say it all comes down to talent. the cats have some nice pieces, but not the overall talent of that i'm seeing at portland state and ogden, or even missoula, and it's hard to overcome superior talent.

whitetrashgriz
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by whitetrashgriz » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:46 am

thecitygriz wrote:we griz fans have been mighty critical of tinkle these past three years but through it all i've maintained that he is a first-class recruiter. he's brought in the first two three-star recruits in griz history--rundles and selvig--together with the north dakota high school player of the year--qvale--not to mention anthony johnson. next year he brings in at least one kid that i am absolutely stupefied he was able to recruit--will cherry, a guard who scored 23 points and had 14 rebounds in leading his team to a win in last year's major high-school division california championship game. rundles didn't pan out (nor did austin swift, another california kid i had high hopes for) but to get these kids, tinkle has won some battles. if you believe recruiting is at least half the battle--and i do--then tinkle is doing his job.

when i think of huse, i think of a krysko clone. the two are extremely close, and seem to share a lot of personality traits--a grim, no-nonsense, hustle-your-butt work ethic, combined with a knight-like ability to rip into a kid in front of fans, teammates and tv cameras. i reject this style. i wonder if players really do too, and if it doesn't carry over to the recruiting trail, where neither knight nor krysko excelled, and huse is only fair. he may have out-recruited us when it comes to next year's post players, but except for that, howard was a lock for the cats, and rush is his only other stellar recruit in three years. in this regard, sprinkle was a huge loss, because i agree with those big sky coaches who say it all comes down to talent. the cats have some nice pieces, but not the overall talent of that i'm seeing at portland state and ogden, or even missoula, and it's hard to overcome superior talent.
very good post. i don't think many people realize how difficult the road became when we lost sprinks, as well as dirden and orton who also were pretty good recruiters.

do you have to know everything to post here? or just think you do?

duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by duelalumnicat » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:48 am

I am not a basketball expert, but I have season tickets and, on the average, I only miss one or two home games each season. I share mslacat's frustration. And I am really, really tired of losing to the Grizzlies year after year in seemingly every sport but track. (Thank you Coach Kennedy.) Unfortunately, I don't think losing to the Grizzlies bothers the Athletics Department...it is just another (name your sport) game.

Bleedinbluengold

Post by Bleedinbluengold » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:12 pm

sadly, the rival is definitely on a roll in many sports. We were on a roll until O'Day became AD...he's not universally liked by all in griz-nation, but he's dang smart and "gets it."

Montana State IS what "they" think Montana is.

BobcatOninetails
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatOninetails » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:07 pm

Didn't see the game but do know one thing. If anyone walked who walked out Saturday has never walked out when Mick "I only got to keep my job for sixteen years because I'm a Cat alum" was coaching then you truly let Coach Huse down. I'm not for one second saying that Coach Huse is the end all be all, but Mick was the drizzlings. He's the reason I quite going to games 7 years ago. Brad the reason I've started to go back. These are kids and sometimes they are going to play like they have no heart. I'd rather see that than a coach without a heart, like Mick showed me IMO.

"Success is simple. Do what's right, the right way, at the right time." - Arnold H. Glasgow

Eastcoastgriz
Member # Retired

Post by Eastcoastgriz » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:18 pm

Good news. I just talked to our AD and we have a few seats available for new band wagon fans. Please feel free to jump on board.

The GRIZ, a quarter century of total football dominance over the cats.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:44 pm

Eastcoastgriz wrote:Good news. I just talked to our AD and we have a few seats available for new band wagon fans. Please feel free to jump on board.
You have more than just a few.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:25 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Eastcoastgriz wrote:Good news. I just talked to our AD and we have a few seats available for new band wagon fans. Please feel free to jump on board.

Are we expanding again??

We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:51 pm

GrizinWashington wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

Are we expanding again??
I thought last time Dahlberg Arena was remodeled, there were fewer seats? Am I missing something here.

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:07 pm

CelticCat wrote:
GrizinWashington wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

Are we expanding again??
I thought last time Dahlberg Arena was remodeled, there were fewer seats? Am I missing something here.
Ziiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:28 pm

Big Sky Men's attendance:

1. Montana 3606
2. msu 3520

Big Sky Women's attendance:

1. Montana 2166
2. msu 1566

Huh. Perhaps not as much room in Adams as there is at the Cow College. Your numbers are pretty good though. Do a lot of people show up thinking a rodeo is going on?

ZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:34 pm

GrizinWashington wrote:Big Sky Men's attendance:

1. Montana 3606
2. msu 3520

Big Sky Women's attendance:

1. Montana 2166
2. msu 1566

Huh. Perhaps not as much room in Adams as there is at the Cow College. Your numbers are pretty good though. Do a lot of people show up thinking a rodeo is going on?

ZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
Boooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggg..................

:yawn:

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:15 pm

I'm not the one who started the smack. Then you tried to football smack a basketball thread (brilliant I might add). Whatever.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:25 pm

Mods: Since I started this thread can I ask that it be locked?

OK folks we have vented for the past couple of day's, It time to saddle up and support the guy's on the hard court wearing the Blue and Gold. Remember we are not Grizzly fans. Games are coming this Thursday, show some support. Despite what happened Saturday, these guy's do put out the effort, they are very young, but are very good guy's, and represent MSU sports very well. Drop the smack and get behind them!

thecitygriz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by thecitygriz » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:12 am

mslacat: a voice of information, wisdom and moderation, and the most wonderfulest of contributors to both boards. may he return soon from elba and his self-imposed exile.

hokeyfine
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by hokeyfine » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:41 am

gotta get my nickels worth in. i've noticed for a while now that msu athletics is not strong mentally. It seems to me that subconciously they are afraid of success. i've called for many years for the athletic department to hire a sports psychologist.

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:58 am

hokeyfine wrote:gotta get my nickels worth in. i've noticed for a while now that msu athletics is not strong mentally. It seems to me that subconciously they are afraid of success. i've called for many years for the athletic department to hire a sports psychologist.
Dave Gantt (former volleyball coach) teaches a sports psychology class at MSU. Or at least he did recently.

Old Skool Cat

Post by Old Skool Cat » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:59 am

mslacat wrote:Mods: Since I started this thread can I ask that it be locked?

OK folks we have vented for the past couple of day's, It time to saddle up and support the guy's on the hard court wearing the Blue and Gold. Remember we are not Grizzly fans. Games are coming this Thursday, show some support. Despite what happened Saturday, these guy's do put out the effort, they are very young, but are very good guy's, and represent MSU sports very well. Drop the smack and get behind them!
Wells said mslacat. I don't think it's wrong at all for fans to voice their disgust over the performance of their team, especially when it comes against your rival. But to take it any farther than that is uncalled for. I for one was pretty peeved about last weekend's performance, and I get upset when I see both coaches and players not performing to their abilities. This team is better than we showed Saturday night, and that's aggravating. But there's time to turn it around and right the ship. Let's get the ball rolling again tomorrow night Cats!!

CAT 1988
New Recruit

Post by CAT 1988 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:03 pm

What is the story with Brandon Johnson? He seems to be in the doghouse alot......any ideas or insight?