MBB- Cats at Southern Mississippi

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catamaran
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: MBB- Cats at Southern Mississippi

Post by catamaran » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:12 am

Officials don't care who wins..........most can't tell you the score when its over

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:19 am

Billings Cat wrote:
whitetrashgriz wrote:refs don't lose games. never have....never will. mistakes, turnovers, lack of defense, and poor shooting loses games. on all levels. :idea:
That's one of the most Polly Anna-ish statements I've heard in a while. Pull your head out of the sand...most officials do as good of a job as they can and most games are decided by the players, but to say that officials NEVER have an impact on the outcome of a game implies that all officials are fair which isn't anymore absolute than saying all soldiers are patriotic, all physicians care about their patients, and all cops are honest. Most are, but not all, and sometimes officials have a definite impact on the outcomes of games that isn't unintentional.

Wow. Nothing like calling out somebody's integrity on a message board. :shock:

I find it difficult to believe that officials intentionally favor one team over another (with an extremely rare and well-publicized exception in the NBA #-o ). I will agree that officials are human and are therefore subjected to human influences, like a persuasive coach shouting in their ear, or a home crowd. Certainly there's no doubt that home teams occasionally get "favorable" calls. But the suggestion that the officials are crooked because of that seems to come from a very jaded individual, IMO.

We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:20 am

catamaran wrote:Officials don't care who wins..........most can't tell you the score when its over
Unless you are playing in Browning. :shock:

whitetrashgriz
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by whitetrashgriz » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:27 am

Billings Cat wrote:
whitetrashgriz wrote:refs don't lose games. never have....never will. mistakes, turnovers, lack of defense, and poor shooting loses games. on all levels. :idea:
That's one of the most Polly Anna-ish statements I've heard in a while. Pull your head out of the sand...most officials do as good of a job as they can and most games are decided by the players, but to say that officials NEVER have an impact on the outcome of a game implies that all officials are fair which isn't anymore absolute than saying all soldiers are patriotic, all physicians care about their patients, and all cops are honest. Most are, but not all, and sometimes officials have a definite impact on the outcomes of games that isn't unintentional.
ahhh....where to begin. first, who the hell is polly anna? next, i understand how me having a different opinion of you automatically means my head is in the sand. :roll: as far as refs go, being a former player, and coach, i have never been a part of a game where the refs won or lost my team a game. i challenge you to ask any coach if they have lost a game because of a ref. sure coaches like to harp on officials all game long, but in the post game, you never hear a coach say we lost this game because of poor officiating. until they get rid of human refs all together and just start using computers or something, human error is always going to be a factor. but unless you play a perfect game, meaning no mistakes on defense, making all your shots, hitting all your free throws, and getting every rebound, you can't blame the refs. that's saved for the fans. :D they can always believe that refs win and lose games. tell you what, let's play a game. as the rest of the season rolls along, you point out all the games that were won by the refs. i'll then tell you my reason for the outcome of the game, and you can once again tell me my head is in the sand. #-o

do you have to know everything to post here? or just think you do?