MBB: Home game vs. Northern Colorado tonite

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Re: MBB: Home game vs. Northern Colorado tonite

Post by GOKATS » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:07 pm

I think this explains it all..................

From MSU-

BOZEMAN, Mont. -- Northern Colorado shot 55% in the second half while
holding Montana State to 25% shooting after the intermission in a 65-55
road win over the Bobcats on Thursday.

Devon Beitzel and Jabril each scored a game-high 15 points to lead NC,
while Will Bynum scored a dozen for the Bobcats. Northern Colorado
finished at 49% shooting, while holding MSU to 33%, the team's second
straight game shooting below 35%.

"I thought their energy was greater than ours," said MSU coach Brad
Huse. "Their determination factor was a notch higher, and that's tough
to swallow. They got their hands on more passes, got to more loose
balls. I don't think we played with enough energy and passion. I give
them a lot of credit."

Northern Colorado jumped to an eight-point lead midway through the first
half on a Robert Palacios free throw, but Cody Anderson's three-pointer
started a 9-0 Bobcat run that found MSU leading after a Marquis Navarre
jumper.

The Bears took a 30-27 lead into the intermission, then after a Bobby
Howard three-pointer tied the game at the start of the second half
Northern Colorado scored eight straight to take control of the game,
which the team would not relinquish.

Montana State falls to 9-8 with the loss, 3-4 in Big Sky action, while
the Bears are now 8-12 overall, 4-3 in the conference.

-msu-

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:22 pm

...do I see the second coming of micky? We're so happy we have a basketball team--check the attendance. But we'll get a michigan and oregon rasslin match going!

DawsonPirate
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by DawsonPirate » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:32 pm

Who is the coach responsible for the guards and wings in terms of shooting?

That coach should be working overtime on correcting this severe problem. Howard isstarting like last year and looks to be running out of gas.

USM in Hattiesburg will be bad and a very long road trip as will UTPA.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:42 pm

DawsonPirate wrote:Who is the coach responsible for the guards and wings in terms of shooting?

That coach should be working overtime on correcting this severe problem. Howard isstarting like last year and looks to be running out of gas.

...and if you were one with any cahoonas (sic) you're handle would be "No Sh#t, Sherlock!!!" BUT----at least we have ONE Monatana kid on the roster! That'll keep the deep pocket our strip-joint -AD -loves -so -much pervert (yuck--a couple of GUYS grabbing on each other)...dang, I defer to BAC :x

whitetrashgriz
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by whitetrashgriz » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:56 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :suds: :suds: :suds: :suds: :suds: :suds: :suds: :suds: :suds: :suds: :suds: :suds: :suds: :suds:

do you have to know everything to post here? or just think you do?

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:22 am

Cat Grad wrote:
DawsonPirate wrote:Who is the coach responsible for the guards and wings in terms of shooting?

...and if you were one with any cahoonas (sic) you're handle would be "No Sh#t, Sherlock!!!" BUT----at least we have ONE Monatana kid on the roster! That'll keep the deep pocket our strip-joint -AD -loves -so -much pervert (yuck--a couple of GUYS grabbing on each other)...dang, I defer to BAC :x
You are not seriously pulling the Montana kid card are you?

STREETCAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by STREETCAT » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:31 am

I think the out come could have been different had Divaldo Mbunga Not go into foul trouble..... But when he is in the game,

GIVE THE BIG MAN THE ROCK!

Especially when you are struggling from the outside!!!!
Last edited by STREETCAT on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce.

I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't give a damn.

whitetrashgriz

Post by whitetrashgriz » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:45 am

STREETCAT wrote:I think the out turn could have been different had Divaldo Mbunga Not go into foul trouble..... But when he is in the game,

what's an "out turn"? :wink:

STREETCAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by STREETCAT » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:46 am

whitetrashgriz wrote:
STREETCAT wrote:I think the out turn could have been different had Divaldo Mbunga Not go into foul trouble..... But when he is in the game,

English major, can't ya tell?

Out Come

I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce.

I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't give a damn.

whitetrashgriz

Post by whitetrashgriz » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:50 am

STREETCAT wrote:
whitetrashgriz wrote:

English major, can't ya tell?

Out Come
ya i know. just playin'. as for your post....agree completely.

Old Skool Cat

Post by Old Skool Cat » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:56 am

25% shooting from the field in the second half for the Cats? Honestly, I think I could make more shots blindfolded with one arm behind my back and I suck! I know this may sound cruel, but when Bobby Howard is on, he's as good as most in the conference. But when he's off, I swear it looks like he's never played the game before. And he's been off way more often than he's been on. And for as long as I have followed Bobcat basketball, I have only one question - why in the hell can we not establish an inside game? There has been only a handful of times in the last 25 years when we've had the kind of quality big men in the middle that most other teams have. And then when we do have decent big men, like Mbunga, we don't use them!!! Does anybody on this team want to assume a leadership role? Because right now, it looks like we have five individuals running around on the floor and none of them are on the same page. Sorry for the rant, but when are Bobcat fans going to start expecting a little more out of their teams and quit accepting this mediocre crap that's run out on the court every night?

whitetrashgriz

Post by whitetrashgriz » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:14 am

Old Skool Cat wrote:25% shooting from the field in the second half for the Cats? Honestly, I think I could make more shots blindfolded with one arm behind my back and I suck! I know this may sound cruel, but when Bobby Howard is on, he's as good as most in the conference. But when he's off, I swear it looks like he's never played the game before. And he's been off way more often than he's been on. And for as long as I have followed Bobcat basketball, I have only one question - why in the hell can we not establish an inside game? There has been only a handful of times in the last 25 years when we've had the kind of quality big men in the middle that most other teams have. And then when we do have decent big men, like Mbunga, we don't use them!!! Does anybody on this team want to assume a leadership role? Because right now, it looks like we have five individuals running around on the floor and none of them are on the same page. Sorry for the rant, but when are Bobcat fans going to start expecting a little more out of their teams and quit accepting this mediocre crap that's run out on the court every night?
i agree. who was our last really good big man? i agree i think mbunga is pretty tough, but he lacks some low-post moves, and let's face it....we don't give him the ball anyway. holmstadt? granted he had some great players around him like sprinks, but it just seems like our offense always went through him when he was here. so maybe that's what i'm asking. maybe not the last really good big man, but rather the last big man that was the focal point of our offense.

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:27 am

whitetrashgriz wrote: i agree. who was our last really good big man? i agree i think mbunga is pretty tough, but he lacks some low-post moves, and let's face it....we don't give him the ball anyway. holmstadt? granted he had some great players around him like sprinks, but it just seems like our offense always went through him when he was here. so maybe that's what i'm asking. maybe not the last really good big man, but rather the last big man that was the focal point of our offense.
Al Beye.

Gus
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Gus » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:46 am

I think the problem last night is that we have no backup for Mbunga. He gets two quick foul and Huse sends in Johnson who looked lost all night. I thought Anderson looked ok for a freshman when he came in and he did contribute one of the two three pointers...

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:19 am

Gus wrote:I think the problem last night is that we have no backup for Mbunga. He gets two quick foul and Huse sends in Johnson who looked lost all night. I thought Anderson looked ok for a freshman when he came in and he did contribute one of the two three pointers...
But that brings up another whole problem---Anderson should be being redshirted and developed for the future. Just like this should be Howard's first year of playing. Hell in another 5-6 weeks 1/2 of Howard's eligibility is already gone! We have to quit wasting years on these kids and develop them. I really doubt our record is any better right now than it would have been had we redshirted Anderson and Brown and let them develop. Or last year did playing Bobby really give us that many more wins?

Just my opinion....for what it's worth.

whitetrashgriz

Post by whitetrashgriz » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:20 am

longhorn_22 wrote:
whitetrashgriz wrote: i agree. who was our last really good big man? i agree i think mbunga is pretty tough, but he lacks some low-post moves, and let's face it....we don't give him the ball anyway. holmstadt? granted he had some great players around him like sprinks, but it just seems like our offense always went through him when he was here. so maybe that's what i'm asking. maybe not the last really good big man, but rather the last big man that was the focal point of our offense.
Al Beye.
sadly, i disagree. al was a good buddy of mine and miss him terribly but our offense never ran through him. he would have told you that himself. he was a hell of a shot-blocker, and a fan favorite, but his numbers would never wow you, and he definitely wasn't the focal point of our offense. i don't know if you were around when nate was here, but he's honestly the last big man i remember where teams came in knowing that they had to stop him to stop the cats. and it didn't hurt that we passed him the ball! #-o

Old Skool Cat

Post by Old Skool Cat » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:21 am

longhorn_22 wrote:
Al Beye.
As good as Beye was defensively, he was almost a weak spot on offense. Tall but extremely lanky, he just got pushed around too much in the middle. Great shot blocker; not much of a score or rebounder. Just not an all-around great big man. Miss his smile though :(

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:24 am

Al is the last center we had that I can distinctly remember posting up and us lobbing the ball to him behind the defender under the basket. We never do that with Mbunga and I don't recall seeing it with Ted.

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:36 am

And I have to disagree with you all about his offense. In 05-06 he averaged 11.6 points per game (up from 8.5 the previous year) and shot 61% (he shot 63.6% in 04-05).

SaltyCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by SaltyCat » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:27 pm

We haven't even had a half decent big man since Big Nate.