MensBB CAT/griz

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Re: MensBB CAT/griz

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:20 pm

I agree with the last couple of posts. I feel our free throw woes are mental and caused by the inexperience of the players. Practice will help, but a psychologist would help guys like Howard. He shot the light out against UVS. He looked confident and actually "shot" the ball. Against the Griz he threw the thing up there. You could tell he was hoping it would go in and not knowing it would go in! I've never seen Bynum and Navarre that bad at the line...but this was their first visit to Missoula.

Piepoli needs to expand his game because if he's our designated three point shooter, he's going to get fewer and fewer minutes. He lacks confidence too....It's too much to put on a sophomore that didn't even play last year to ask him to be the go to guy from three.

Rush seems like he's starting to find out he can slash to the basket now and then. He reminds me of Nico Harrison. He also can pull up and shoot the jumper. I think he is athetic enough to raise his game up to the point where he looks for opportunities. If he takes the ball to the rim or shoots the jumper more often he might become a real threat in this league.

I think Austin Brown is a year away from the same thing...refining his defense this year.

Branden Johnson needs to concentrate on not blowing layups! He plays great right up until the point he gets the ball down low...then he just throws the thing at the basket. He has to be quick...but don't hurry! Look at the PSU forwards...they are quick and so good inside...not overpowering but don't miss when they have the ball underneath.

Howard is trying to do too much...he's trying to be Mr. inside and Mr. outside. He should choose one and go with it. I would say be the inside force...play off Mbunga. Teams are going to look at the Griz game and see what happens when they double Mbunga. Someone has to take up the slack. If he repeatedly takes his defensive man inside, he will get more open shots outside.

Navarre needs to distribute more. In games where we are doing well, he fits the need, but in games like the other night he felt he needed to be the scorer..and he just isn't...he needs to get people like Mbunga, Rush, Piepoli, Howard and Bynum the ball in scoring positions. When everyone feels like anyone can score they play very well, but like the other night everyone was pressing to be the one to create offense. The result was chaos!

Hennesy needs to shoot or drive. He's reported to be a good shot, but so far seems to have a problem with it...again confidence. He should get a little of what Piepoli's got...lack of conscience! He's trying to play a totally unselfish game and once in a rare while he will take the ball to the rim and score.

2024 Resume dominance