Cats / Utah Valley

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Cats / Utah Valley

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:56 pm

That was an amazing and improbable win. Utah Valley is one of the best free throw shooting teams in the country-but they missed 10. We on the other hand only missed 3 (both teams shot the same number of FT's). A total role reversal there.

Howard will make us all crazy. In the first half he's throwing up air balls and inbounding the ball to nobody and in the second half he's knocking down the three to tie it.

Utah Valley sure wouldn't scare anybody walking throught the airport. They looked like a bunch of average 6'5" guys runnning around. But they are very fundamentally sound, they play very hard, and they are extremely crafty-taking after their coach I think. Of course without Toolson they wouldn't be very good.

I think we could have controlled things a little more-but the refs just wouldn't Mbunga play. They couldn't handle him-but ticky tacky fouls early kept him on the bench too much.

I think this game was a good character builder for the young guys. Eric Rush especially. He can get his shot off against anyone-now if he dials it in a little more he's going to be a load in the Big Sky.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:59 pm

GOKATS wrote:Great game, the blizzard earlier kept me at home. Anyone hear how the ladies did earlier.

Cats now up 51-49 3:35 to go
Women won 75-71 over Albany.

Great game tonight, the 'Cats were terrible in the first half but played fantastic defense for the rest of the game. UVU's #10 was pretty much unstoppable until the 'Cats started to guard him better - unfortunately for UVU, their offense for the second half and OT seemed to mainly be standing around waiting for #10 to do something. The few times they got the ball inside, they scored. It was also very nice to see bad FT shooting cost the other team for once! Howard had a poor game but is developing a pattern of coming up big at the end of games, which is awesome to see.

bozbobcat
Member # Retired

Post by bozbobcat » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:06 am

A few thoughts from tonight's amazing game...

1. Utah Valley is a very strong team. They're one of the best D-1 independents year in and year out. They always play a hard-nosed defensive game. Their one player was an absolute stud. The Cats defended him well, but he still got his shots. Of course, the most amusing part of Utah Valley is watching their coach throughout the course of a game. He went from well-dressed to looking like he'd slept in his clothes after a night of drinking. He was quite a clown, but probably a mighty fine coach.

2. The Cats put out an extremely well-balanced effort. Nobody really stood out to me as the top player of the game, but there were a few solid performances. I was pleased with Will Bynum. Bobby Howard didn't have much of a game, but really redeemed himself by forcing the overtime AGAIN and coming up clutch from the free throw line. The team's effort from the stripe was excellent. And I was extremely impressed by the poise and control of the team in the second half and overtime. There were a lot of guys with four fouls and Navarre was the only one who fouled out. That's quite impressive.

3. I have to tip my proverbial cap to the coaching staff. I would have loved to hear what Coach Huse had to say in the half time locker room. He came out of that locker room looking like he was ready to kill somebody. I'm convinced that Coach Huse can do more with less than any coach I've seen. After the first half, we had no business winning that game. The second half and overtime were so well played. And the defense was great!

4. There are a few things to improve on. Mbunga needs to be more involved, and the short guys can't keep trying to go under the basket and put up bad shots. The whole team has to be more consistent in their results. It's a good idea, but if you can't do it, don't do it. And there were a few bonehead moments. I'm confident that these will be improved.

And for the good news of the non-conference season:

The Cats finished a mighty tough non-conference stretch at 7-4 (I'm not counting the loss at Eastern Washington in this analysis) and nailed down 3 D-1 road wins, and got a couple of decent D-1 comeback wins at home. This has to bode well for the start of the conference season, at least. This next game should be a good one, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Cats snuck out of Missoula with a win on Saturday Night.

But for tonight, that was a great win for the Bobcats!

GO CATS!
It's always a good day to be a Bobcat fan! :) =D^ \:D/
My name is Steve, if you'd like to know.

Weltercat
Member # Retired

Post by Weltercat » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:27 am

Eastcoastgriz wrote:
Weltercat wrote:Nice win going into conference. Now lets see 'em take care of the griz on the road to start out 1-1 in conference.

didn't you already start your conference play some time ago with a loss at EWU??
I think that was implied when I said we'd be 1-1??? Even for a UM fan that shouldn't be hard to understand.

cats22
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by cats22 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:12 am

Alright I cannot hold my tongue any longer. Can we cut this kid a break... Howard is in the top 5 in scoring and rebounding for our conference and all you people do is rip him. Make his late second heroics seem irrelevant. The kid shot 3-11... bad yes. But Rush goes 3-15 and everyone just says how great he is. Howard gets enough crap from Huse alone. He needs some of you so called fans to rally around and support him. I didn't see anyone rippin every Carlos performance to shreds. Night in and night out he plays his tail off all over the place, and produces. Yet, all you people can say is how bad he played. There's a reason why there is two halves to games. Also, I'll take his 13 and 6 a night over any of your dumb ass opinions.

bpcats
Member # Retired

Post by bpcats » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:51 am

I haven't seen the lady's team or the men's team play since the start of the season but after listening a few games I think there are some trends developing.

Men's side:

This team is taking on the personality of their coach. We have a bunch of transfers and new guys that are really working well together. It seems to me that this team will be all about their hustle on rebounds, to loose balls and defense. We don't have that superstar to rely on but the team trusts Howard the most. This team will be well balanced in scoring but seems to struggle unless Howard and Peipoli go off on the three pointers all night.

The matchup against the Griz should be interesting. The Cats will have to focus their energy on defense and rebounding for us to win that game. Staudacher is hitting 57% on 3 point attempts and will have to be guarded closely. I expect the Griz to win the game in a close battle...but with the Cats being such a young team they have a chance to surprise.

Womens side: They can score on anybody, but their defense needs work and it sounds like it is getting better. The main issues seem to be whether they come out firing for a whole game or not. Coach Binford has done a great job assembling talent and by the end of the season, this team should be dangerous.

The matchup against the Griz is coming too early for the Cats. The Lady Griz have been playing great and are very tough on the boards and their defense. It will be a good test to see where we are at. I expect Sarah Ena to have a big game against us. A win against the Griz next weekend would totally shock me.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:23 am

cats22 wrote:Alright I cannot hold my tongue any longer. Can we cut this kid a break... Howard is in the top 5 in scoring and rebounding for our conference and all you people do is rip him. Make his late second heroics seem irrelevant. The kid shot 3-11... bad yes. But Rush goes 3-15 and everyone just says how great he is. Howard gets enough crap from Huse alone. He needs some of you so called fans to rally around and support him. I didn't see anyone rippin every Carlos performance to shreds. Night in and night out he plays his tail off all over the place, and produces. Yet, all you people can say is how bad he played. There's a reason why there is two halves to games. Also, I'll take his 13 and 6 a night over any of your dumb ass opinions.
Easy there partner. I haven't seen people continually ripping on Bobby. I think everyone is a fan and is happy that he's part of the MSU family. I think some people are questioning his consistency a little bit, but I think Bobby would even agree that the area of his game that needs the most improvement is his consistency.

As for your comments about Rush. I'm not exactly sure why you feel the need tear Rush down to build up your boy Bobby. Wasn't Rush voted the MVP of the tournament? Usually the voters consist of the coaches and SIDs/Media...so he must have done something right this weekend.

Personally I think their games compliment each other nicely, but they both need to become more consistent. The good news is that they're both Sophs, and we get to watch them play together (along with Danny P.) for the next 2 1/2 years.

whitetrashgriz
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by whitetrashgriz » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:46 am

cats22 wrote:Alright I cannot hold my tongue any longer. Can we cut this kid a break... Howard is in the top 5 in scoring and rebounding for our conference and all you people do is rip him. Make his late second heroics seem irrelevant. The kid shot 3-11... bad yes. But Rush goes 3-15 and everyone just says how great he is. Howard gets enough crap from Huse alone. He needs some of you so called fans to rally around and support him. I didn't see anyone rippin every Carlos performance to shreds. Night in and night out he plays his tail off all over the place, and produces. Yet, all you people can say is how bad he played. There's a reason why there is two halves to games. Also, I'll take his 13 and 6 a night over any of your dumb ass opinions.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

do you have to know everything to post here? or just think you do?

Gomez
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Gomez » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:39 pm

I was at the game last night....it was sweet! Great win for the Cats...victory came about because of many things already mentioned on this board, Great D by everyone on the team (Eric Rush and Will B in particular), excellent free throw shooting, a never say die attitude, and heart...

Those things will get you a long way :D :D :D

Don't believe everything you think...

4everacatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by 4everacatfan » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:41 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Easy there partner. I haven't seen people continually ripping on Bobby. I think everyone is a fan and is happy that he's part of the MSU family. I think some people are questioning his consistency a little bit, but I think Bobby would even agree that the area of his game that needs the most improvement is his consistency.

As for your comments about Rush. I'm not exactly sure why you feel the need tear Rush down to build up your boy Bobby. Wasn't Rush voted the MVP of the tournament? Usually the voters consist of the coaches and SIDs/Media...so he must have done something right this weekend. (Picked By the 6th man club as well)

Personally I think their games compliment each other nicely, but they both need to become more consistent. The good news is that they're both Sophs, and we get to watch them play together (along with Danny P.) for the next 2 1/2 years.
(I hope all three stick around)

I think what cat22 is saying (and not very diplomatically) is that both Howard and Rush had bad shooting nites. Not saying Erik did not play well but some on this board are willing to give Rush a pass where as some of you don't possibly give the same pass to Howard. Erik several weeks ago was struggling mightly with games of 2, 3, and 5 and not much was said. Bobby had two poor first halves in this tourney but did turn in a double-double on Sunday and double figures on Monday as well and he made the all tourney team as well. I found this while reading the Bozeman Chronicle Sunday on line and maybe this explains it best in Bobby's on words about Montana fans.
It is from the Dec. 28th version of the chronicle (sorry not computer savy enough to make the link come up)

I want my number called’

By PETE DELMOE Chronicle Sports Writer

When Bobby Howard was growing up, he never had trouble getting time on the court.

Howard’s father, Bob, was a basketball coach and gym access was easy to come by - even in winter when playing outside has its challenges.

NICK WOLCOTT/CHRONICLE Bobby Howard, showing his game face in the Brick Breeden Fieldhouse, is a sophomore leading the Bobcats in scoring with 13.1 points per game. “I always had a gym to get into,” Bobby Howard, a Montana State University sophomore, said. “I always had a ball in my hands. Basically, anytime I wanted to shoot I didn’t have to go shovel snow or anything. I could just go ask dad, ‘let’s go to the gym.’ I got a lot more jump shots in that way.”

All those extra jumpers have paid off for the 6-foot-7 forward, who leads the Bobcats and is fifth in the Big Sky Conference in scoring (13.1 points per game). Howard started the season on the bench, but was moved into the starting lineup after two games.

The Great Falls High graduate is a versatile player that can score inside and on the perimeter n he is currently sixth in the conference in 3-pointers made with more than two a game.

“He’s got the ability to square up and shoot the basketball from the 3-point line, which makes him dangerous,” MSU coach Brad Huse said. “It’s hard for opposing ‘bigs’ to step out on him, yet he has the ability to get to the rim.”

Being a consistent scorer, however, is something Howard is still struggling with. In the Bobcats’ five wins Howard has averaged more than 15 points a game. In their five losses he has averaged 10.8 points.

“He’s becoming more consistent,” Huse said. “He was a little up and down early on. For us it’s developing a level of consistency and a balance. I know that’s what he’s striving for, too. When he’s been productive we’ve had success.”

Howard has only 10 starts under his belt, yet he has a knack for making big shots. He made a last-second shot to force overtime in a win against Colorado and hit a 3-pointer in the last 30 seconds of regulation in an overtime win against Oregon State earlier this season.

“If my team needs a basket, I want my number to be called, and if it’s called, I’m going to get it done,” Howard said.

Howard has been getting it done for some time. As a senior at Great Falls High, he led the state, averaging 22.2 points and 10.4 rebounds per game. Howard said putting up those kinds of numbers was needed to quiet those who felt he was receiving special treatment.

When he was a freshman at GFH, his father was in his first year as head coach for the Bison. The younger Howard played on the varsity as a freshman and he said some people took issue with that. He said his father made him work that much harder to get playing time.

“He made it so I had to go over earning it,” Howard said of his father. “I had to go above and beyond to prove myself because there were a lot of people in the community who didn’t think I should be able to start just because my dad’s the head coach.

“That made me push more and more each year. I felt I had to prove myself.”

Bob Howard said his son handled it the right way and canceled any doubt once he was on the floor.

“It was probably a lot harder on him than it was for me,” said Bob, who is in his sixth year with GFH. “You’re always kind of second guessing how much playing time he’s getting, but to his credit, he probably exceeded all the expectations. There wasn’t much room to criticize how much playing time he was getting or his role offensively or defensively. He kind of took care of that himself.”

The Howards silenced all the critics during Bobby’s junior year, when the Bison won the state championship. Bob said during their run through the state tournament, Bobby carried the team offensively in the first half, allowing the rest of the team to get into the flow of the game.

Bobby said winning the title with his father and longtime friends made the championship that much more special.

“It turned it more into not just a team, but a family thing,” he said. “I grew up with all those kids, played with those kids my whole life and he always coached us. For us to win that, it was pretty special.”

Bob said he’s not sure if the true impact of winning a state championship with his son has reached its full meaning.

“The longer I go, the more important it will be,” he said. “That was one of the highlights of my career.”

For Bobby’s mother Kathleen, who is in the Bobcat Athletic Hall of Fame and had her jersey retired by the basketball program, watching her husband and son win a championship was also quite an experience.

“It was one of the greatest feelings of my life,” she said.

Bob also played basketball at MSU, but he said he mostly played on the junior varsity team and played “about a minute of a varsity game.” He was also a coach for the Bobcats at one point.

With both parents having played at MSU it would seem natural that Bobby follow in their footsteps, but they left the decision up to him. Bobby was recruited by schools on the West Coast, in the Ivy Leagues and even that hated rival over in Missoula, but he said in the end, Bozeman just felt like the right choice. Bobby spent a lot of time in Bozeman growing up and extending the Howard legacy at MSU did play a part in his decision to become a Bobcat.

“I kind of wanted to be a part of something that pushes the Bobcats a little bigger,” he said. “Get to the NCAA Tournament. We’re about due.”

Staying in Montana was also a part of the decision. He’s close to home and his parents can watch his home games when Bob doesn’t have a game of his own to coach.

“I think Bobby is a Montana kid and it meant a lot to him to stay in Montana,” Kathleen Howard said. “We’re a very close family. I think he wanted to be where we could see him play.”

For Bob, being able to watch Bobby play is a double-edged sword. He won’t miss any game that he has the opportunity to attend, but he doesn’t exactly sit back and relax while at the games.

“I don’t like it,” said Bob. “I see some games and I’ve got to sit by myself. I just try to get through it. When you’re used to being in charge it’s kind of tough to sit and watch.”

Choosing MSU also has given Bobby the privilege of being the only Montana player on the team’s roster. For Bobby that means something.

“Every time I come out here, I’m representing the whole state,” he said. “I think that any kid who goes to their home state and plays a game they’re thinking that, too. You’ve got to play hard because (Montanans) are going to tell you when you don’t.”Teammate and roommate Erik Rush said Bobby gets teased about being an outsider on a team that features five California players, but in the end, nobody cares where you’re from. It’s what you do on the court.

“He plays hard,” said Rush, who is from San Jose, Calif. “So that’s going to get anybody’s respect,”

Pete Delmoe can be reac

I have read and commented on this board for probably the last 3 years and it has always been that way alot of you are tougher on guys like Casey and Bobby then you are on the out of staters I have always chalked it up to you think they are your own so it is fine. JMO
Last edited by 4everacatfan on Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Billings Cat

Post by Billings Cat » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:59 pm

It was interesting to see Bobby mature during his high school career. When he started he definitely had a hard time keeping his emotions in check, but by the time he was a senior he definitely was able to handle the bad (the state tournament his senior year) along with the good. Great to see him doing well.

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:02 pm

Rush's first name is spelled with a "k," for the record.

4everacatfan

Post by 4everacatfan » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:13 pm

longhorn_22 wrote:Rush's first name is spelled with a "k," for the record.
I think I got them all fixed sorry about that. :)