MBB:Cal State Fullerton

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

MBB:Cal State Fullerton

Post by mslacat » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:26 pm

Just to remind you folks, that the men's basketball team will be playing @ Cal State Fulleton tonight with tip off scheduled at 8:00 Mountain Time. Since we last played CSF they have picked up a 23 point win against Cal State Bakersfield (yes they are a D-1 team). I really think CSF is going to be gunning for us on their home court, since losing to us, so it is going to take another very good effort to get the win and the road sweep. Right now we have an RPI rating of 101 while CSF carries a 152 rating and yet we are considered a 6 point underdog going into the game.

I think our win at Long Beach State is the template for how I would like to see the MSU basketball team play. While Bynum was definitely our game MVP we got solid contribution from just about everyone who played, and Huse went deep into the bench, freshman Cody Anderson came off the bench to give us 16 quality minutes and 11 point and 3 rebounds. I think we have 3-4 players who could be that catalyst Bynum was Saturday, and that type of balance will make us tough to shut down. If it is not Bynum, then maybe Howard or maybe Mbunga.

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Re: MBB:Cal State Fullerton

Post by GOKATS » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:36 pm

Last game the Titans were without Gerard Anderson, starting forward, with an ankle injury. He's back but not 100%. Need to put the clamps on Akognon again, he scored 15 in the first half last game but only managed 3 in the second half- he scored 41 in the Titans recent win over Bakersfield.

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

GavinDonos
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GavinDonos » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:57 pm

I'm jacked for BBall!

I've got a feeling of excitement about 'Cat basketball that I haven't had for years. Can't wait for tip-off!

...just thought I'd share. :D

CATS2000
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by CATS2000 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:59 pm

Man I wish Rush would show me somethin'...

LETS DO THIS CATS! GET THE SWEEP!

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:02 pm

CATS2000 wrote:Man I wish Rush would show me somethin'...

LETS DO THIS CATS! GET THE SWEEP!
He's looking better, give him some time.

FTG!!

bpcats
Member # Retired

Post by bpcats » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:42 pm

Turnovers killed us tonight along with some questionable calls and noncalls. We have to learn how to defend the 3 ball as Staudacer from UM and Portland State in general will make us pay.

Nice fight from the team though. Need to figure out how to score consistently. Rush sounds like he is starting to settle down.

Should be interesting to see how this team does in Big Sky play. Defense will be the key to any success that we have.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:55 pm

bpcats wrote:Turnovers killed us tonight along with some questionable calls and noncalls. We have to learn how to defend the 3 ball as Staudacer from UM and Portland State in general will make us pay.

Nice fight from the team though. Need to figure out how to score consistently. Rush sounds like he is starting to settle down.

Should be interesting to see how this team does in Big Sky play. Defense will be the key to any success that we have.
I have no worries about defending the 3 point line this year. The only player in the BSC who has a shot nearly as quick as Akonogn (however you spell it) is PSU's Dominguez, and there is no one in the BSC who comes close to his quickness off screens. He is their team. If we don't turn the ball over 24 times in the game, we win, especially the way we were shooting the ball. Take half the turovers, and score on half of those possessions, we end up winning by at least 4, maybe more.

The Cats are gonna be a tough out all season in conference. They seem to have no problems on the road - we'll see how they handle conference road games.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:01 pm

Tough loss, but all in all not bad for a road game. Too many TO's but Akognon throwing 7-3's in the second half was the game.

FTG!!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:17 pm

Fullerton has some athletes that we just don't see everyday. In our league the only team as athletic as Fullerton is Portland State. A lot of the outcome depends on Fullerton. If they are tired, or their shot is off they are quite beatable. But if they are feeling it-very, very few teams will beat them-especially in their place and especially with a guard who will probably be in the NBA. I think Huse painted the picture in the post-game show-Bynum was right with him and he stuck the shots anyway-nothing you can do about that.

I'm encouraged that our shots are starting to fall consistently, Rush is starting to come on, and we're playing better as a team. I just wish we could have that Eastern Washington game back-that could haunt us.

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:19 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:Fullerton has some athletes that we just don't see everyday. In our league the only team as athletic as Fullerton is Portland State. A lot of the outcome depends on Fullerton. If they are tired, or their shot is off they are quite beatable. But if they are feeling it-very, very few teams will beat them-especially in their place and especially with a guard who will probably be in the NBA. I think Huse painted the picture in the post-game show-Bynum was right with him and he stuck the shots anyway-nothing you can do about that.

I'm encouraged that our shots are starting to fall consistently, Rush is starting to come on, and we're playing better as a team. I just wish we could have that Eastern Washington game back-that could haunt us.
EWU squeaked by Evergreen St. tonight by three.

FTG!!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:24 pm

GOKATS wrote:EWU squeaked by Evergreen St. tonight by three.

#-o

bpcats
Member # Retired

Post by bpcats » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:44 am

The men's team losing to Eastern early isn't that big of a deal. MSU will make a strong push later in the conference season.

The same thing can be said for the women also. They open up conference play against Montana and we are currently not playing well enough to beat them this early. I do expect a big push later on in conference play for the women also.

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:32 am

Never thought I'd see a box score like that and have it be a loss (minus the turnovers). 20 points from Rush? Wow. Hopefully this is his breakout game. I hope we can build on this and take it through conference play.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:07 am

If you were to have told me yesterday at this time that we would have out rebounded a Cal St Ful 16 -36, shoot 55% from the field, and Erik would have 20 point, I would have taken that in a heart beat. Those turn overs really killed us! I saw a a lot of positive in the game including the fact we kept making runs to get it under single digits. On the negatives, turn overs are the type of things that have a way bugging a team for an extended period of time. I would not be surprised if teams start to challenge our ball handling for at least the next few games if not well into conference until we can prove we can take care of the ball. Still I like I keep on saying I like the balance we bring as conference approaches. We have 4 players averaging in double digits, and Rush just on the out skirts of there. We have a rebound margin of +5, and this team seems to have a real good chemistry. I still think Portland State is clearly the cream of thee conference but, but we are definitely looking better than 8th place.

How is that for going out on a limb!

4everacatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by 4everacatfan » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:41 am

On the Cal State Fullerton radio show they explained that offensive fouls are also counted as turnovers as well as ball handling misques. So not to diminsh the turnover problem but how many offensive fouls did we have last night? That had to a count for a significant number of them.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:57 pm

Piepoli also didn't show up and he is usually a medium contributor.

2024 Resume dominance

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:11 pm

Helcat72 wrote:Piepoli also didn't show up and he is usually a medium contributor.
I call him more than that. He has been our most consistent player thus far, save the game last night.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl: