MBB: Great Falls in tonight

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Old Skool Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: MBB: Great Falls in tonight

Post by Old Skool Cat » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:17 am

kmax wrote:
TrueCat wrote:
GrizinWashington wrote:
vike_king wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
mslacat wrote:I did not seem this posted, but Great Fall College will be in town this evening
Ahem...we're playing the University of Great Falls. Sounds a little more impressive anyway.

http://www.ugf.edu/Athletics/MensBasket ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is "The University of the College of Great Falls"!!!!!!! How you get university status by putting up a new sign is beyond me!!

Just as an FYI, you get to be a "university" (vs. a "college") by offering graduate level programs and degrees, somthing "colleges" do not.
Are you sure about that? I have a friend who attended the Graduate Business Program at Providence College...
Guess Rocky Mountain College needs to get a new sign then too.... http://www.rocky.edu/academics/Masters.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Or Boston College.... http://www.bc.edu/schools/gsas/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:52 am

The rule isn't hard and fast and many "prestigious" universities still use the term "college" even though they offer grad progrms. But as a general rule, that's the difference.
While the terms today are often used interchangeably, originally a college was a specific school teaching a specific subject, such as Education, Medicine, etc.

A University is a school made up of numerous colleges.

In general, now a days, the difference is the level of degree that they can award. Colleges typically award Bachelor's degrees and Universities can offer Master's and Doctorate Degrees. The distinction has never been 'enforced' by any organization.

College is also used to refer to a specific group within a University

We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.

Old Skool Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Old Skool Cat » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:54 am

Just a quick peek at the stats from last night. Look at the minutes played, and you can see Coach Huse was able to everybody involved in the game. A couple other stats that jump out at me are: we were 14-18 (78%) from the charity stripe which is a little better than we have been in past games; Mbunga had a nice game scoring, but only 2 rebounds. Rush was 4-13 from the field :shock:; and lastly, from the games I have seen in person and the stats, we are definitely not gonna make our living from the 3-point arc. Since we are going to be undersized in most games we play, we really are going to have become a better perimeter shooting team. Nice to see Piepoli have a good night shooting the rock.

STARTERS MIN FGM/A 3PM/A FTM-A OREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
Bobby Howard, F 20 1-7 0-4 1-2 2 5 2 1 2 3 2 3
Erik Rush, G 22 4-13 1-6 0-0 2 6 0 1 1 3 1 9
Divaldo Mbunga, C 19 7-9 0-0 2-3 1 1 0 2 0 0 2 16
Marquis Navarre, G 20 2-8 0-0 0-0 1 2 2 1 1 1 1 4
Will Bynum, G 24 2-5 0-0 2-2 2 4 5 2 0 1 2 6
BENCH MIN FGM/A 3PM/A FTM-A OREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
Austin Brown, F 10 0-2 0-2 1-2 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 1
James Hennessy, G 17 3-6 0-1 0-0 2 5 3 0 1 0 0 6
Cam Henderson, F 15 1-3 0-0 0-0 2 4 2 0 0 1 2 2
Danny Piepoli, F 26 4-9 4-9 2-2 0 3 1 0 0 1 2 14
Cody Anderson, C 8 1-1 1-1 0-1 1 3 1 0 1 1 0 3
Branden Johnson, F 19 3-5 2-4 6-6 2 6 1 0 0 0 2 14

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:59 pm

The Cats are a streaky 3 point shooting team. They'll be stone cold for part of a game, then hit 4 or 5 out of 6, as was the case last night. When Danny or Bobby get hot from behind the arc, look out.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:02 pm

The thing I noticed last night was how many flippin' shots were in and out. I couldn't believe it. We could not buy a basket. I counted at least 8 shots in the first half that just rimmed out or were halfway through and popped back out.

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:18 pm

longhorn_22 wrote:The thing I noticed last night was how many flippin' shots were in and out. I couldn't believe it. We could not buy a basket. I counted at least 8 shots in the first half that just rimmed out or were halfway through and popped back out.
True story. I can't help but think that no matter what Brad and the coaches were telling the players leading up to the game that the players weren't looking past GF with the EWU game coming up. It wasn't pretty but they got it done & now we have a conference game coming up about a month earlier than I can ever remember (yea, I know about the 'bracket buster' deal). Go Cats!!!

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

bozbobcat
Member # Retired

Post by bozbobcat » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:14 pm

I think last night's game will be a good lesson for this team. The Cats played the role of underdog in the first four games, and this game was a chance to see how they would do as a favorite. I can't help but think, like others have said, that they were looking ahead. But they made great halftime adjustments and played a much better second half. They still need to work on both aspects of the three point game: making them and defending against them. It didn't help that Mbunga was in foul trouble for most of the first half. We also saw what happened when Bobby Howard and Divaldo Mbunga didn't have their top scoring games. The rest of the team will need to step up, defend strongly, and make good shots. This one was a good lesson, now it's on to Eastern Washington and a conference game in early December. (I've seen this in other conferences, and it's not usually a good thing for either team. The conference schedule is a mess this year--it needs to be fixed next season.) I like the direction the team is moving in and I expect good things against Eastern Washington on Saturday night.

GO CATS!
It's always a good day to be a Bobcat fan! :) =D^ \:D/
My name is Steve, if you'd like to know.