WBB: Binford gets another commit

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

WBB: Binford gets another commit

Post by mslacat » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:30 am

The Fall signing period starts Tomorrow (11-12-08) and it appears Binford has landed another commit. It is being reported (See link below) that 5-8 point guard Ally Schmitt from Snohomish High school in Washington will sign tomorrow. Ally is rated as a 3 star prospect by Scout.com and Hoopgurlz.com has given her a 65 rating and ranked as the 51 best point guard in the country. Alley missed all of last year with a knee injury but will still widely recruited this year. She sounds like another great pick-up for the Cats. I believe Binford is hoping to sign 5 players this fall.

So it appears Binford will sign two Montana Girls, one girl from New Mexico, and now a girl from Washington.

http://heraldnet.com/article/20081111/S ... 19958/1007" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cat Pride
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: WBB: Binford gets another commit

Post by Cat Pride » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:35 am

mslacat wrote:The Fall signing period starts Tomorrow (11-12-08) and it appears Binford has landed another commit. It is being reported (See link below) that 5-8 point guard Ally Schmitt from Snohomish High school in Washington will sign tomorrow. Ally is rated as a 3 star prospect by Scout.com and Hoopgurlz.com has given her a 65 rating and ranked as the 51 best point guard in the country. Alley missed all of last year with a knee injury but will still widely recruited this year. She sounds like another great pick-up for the Cats. I believe Binford is hoping to sign 5 players this fall.

So it appears Binford will sign two Montana Girls, one girl from New Mexico, and now a girl from Washington.

http://heraldnet.com/article/20081111/S ... 19958/1007" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Any word on that Janette Jackson? She was highly regarded as a transfer last season with amazing athletic abilities.

BentonGrizFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BentonGrizFan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:54 am

Cat Pride wrote:
mslacat wrote:The Fall signing period starts Tomorrow (11-12-08) and it appears Binford has landed another commit. It is being reported (See link below) that 5-8 point guard Ally Schmitt from Snohomish High school in Washington will sign tomorrow. Ally is rated as a 3 star prospect by Scout.com and Hoopgurlz.com has given her a 65 rating and ranked as the 51 best point guard in the country. Alley missed all of last year with a knee injury but will still widely recruited this year. She sounds like another great pick-up for the Cats. I believe Binford is hoping to sign 5 players this fall.

Any word on that Janette Jackson? She was highly regarded as a transfer last season with amazing athletic abilities.
Janette! Miss Jackson if you're nasty!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:58 pm

Cat Pride wrote:

I have heard a little. Ms. Jackson, is clearly the most athletic player on the women's teams roster and very explosive. This transfer / redshirt could be a blessing in disguise, by allowing her the opportunity to refine other aspects of her game. The whole situating reminds me a lot Eric Rush for the men's team last year. Janette could be a really good player for the Cats.

BTW: The level of talent Binford and her staff is bring in is outstanding! We have some of the best talent right now on this team that we have had in a while. A lot of it is young, so if we can keep Binford here a few more years we could have something really special.

Bleedinbluengold
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bleedinbluengold » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:23 pm

BentonGrizFan wrote:
Cat Pride wrote:

Janette! Miss Jackson if you're nasty!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: =D^ =D^ =D^ =D^ =D^

That is going to crack me up all day!

Montana State IS what "they" think Montana is.

DCC2MSU
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by DCC2MSU » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:27 am

Regis girls basketball may run out of ink in taking advantage of the early signing period. The Raiders, 75-8 the past three seasons but without a Colorado title, will have a whopping seven players making official plans to play Division I college ball, in what should be quite the signing party Friday afternoon: Mary Bokenkamp (Texas Tech), Kelsey Roben (Montana State), Diana Rolniak (Utah), T'Keyah Shealy (Pepperdine), Mariah Williams (UCLA), Meghan Winters (Gonzaga) and Ruta Zuraskyte (Santa Clara). "That's unheard of," Regis coach Carl Mattei said. The Abby Waner-led ThunderRidge Grizzlies had five four seasons ago. Neil H. Devlin, The Denver Post

This is out of this mornings Denver Post. Pretty impressive to go 7 deep with D-I players.

Didn't Billings Central have 4 the year Shannon Cate was a senior?

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:35 am

DCC2MSU wrote:Regis girls basketball may run out of ink in taking advantage of the early signing period. The Raiders, 75-8 the past three seasons but without a Colorado title, will have a whopping seven players making official plans to play Division I college ball, in what should be quite the signing party Friday afternoon: Mary Bokenkamp (Texas Tech), Kelsey Roben (Montana State), Diana Rolniak (Utah), T'Keyah Shealy (Pepperdine), Mariah Williams (UCLA), Meghan Winters (Gonzaga) and Ruta Zuraskyte (Santa Clara). "That's unheard of," Regis coach Carl Mattei said. The Abby Waner-led ThunderRidge Grizzlies had five four seasons ago. Neil H. Devlin, The Denver Post

This is out of this mornings Denver Post. Pretty impressive to go 7 deep with D-I players.

Didn't Billings Central have 4 the year Shannon Cate was a senior?
I'm not sure about that, but how many players did Billings West sent to D-I programs during a span of a couple of years recently? I can think of 4 off the top of my head....Mandy Morales, Dana Conway, Sara Bents, and Shandra Robinson. Billings people....am I missing anyone?

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:39 am

Here's another little piece of trivia along the same lines. Back in 1995, Great Falls natives Rob Compson, Dave Dickenson, and Ryan Leaf all started at QB on the same Saturday. I have often wondered how many other cities of any size, may have had 3 guys starting at QB for I-A or I-AA programs on that same day. I suppose the answer would be partially dependent upon whether you consider metro areas as all one city, or whether you split those areas up into individual incorporated entities, i.e. the LA metro area versus LA, Anahiem, San Fernando Valley, et al. I am sure there were others, but I'll bet the list was not very long.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:18 pm

Here's the official list....

Bobcat Women's Basketball Squad Inks Five to the Fold
MSU Bobcats Women's Basketball News : 2008-11-13 : Bozeman, Mont.
By Tom Schulz

The Montana State women’s basketball program has signed five high school student-athletes to national letters-of-intent, announced MSU fourth-year head coach Tricia Binford

Signing for the 2009-10 season are Latisha Adams, Albuquerque, NM, Ashley Albert, Hamilton, Chelsea Banis, Fairfield, Kelsey Roben, Denver, Colo., and Ally Schmitt, Snohomish, Wash.

“With the signing of this class, we fill a need at every position on the court,” Binford said. “They all come from outstanding programs and will help us succeed both athletically and academically.”

Latisha (Tish) Adams is a 5-9 guard at West Mesa High School in Albuquerque, NM. A four-year letterwinner, she averaged 16.1 points, 7.6 rebounds, 4.3 steals and 2.7 assists, last season. For her efforts, Adams was named the Mustangs’ top offensive and defensive player. In addition, she garnered all-metro honors and was named to the Albuquerque Tribune All Metro Second Team.

Adams is a three-time academic letterwinner and was named all-tournament at the Joe Armijo Classic on two occasions.

“Tish is a tremendous athlete that is playing the point for her high school team,” Binford said. “Because of her athleticism, she has tons of potential. She has great ability off the dribble and is the type of player that makes those around her better. We’ll use her at the 2/3 spots, and she can absolutely lock-it-down on defense.”

One of two Montana in-state recruits, Ashley Albert is a 6-1forward from Hamilton. Last season, she averaged 12 points, 8 rebounds, three assists and two blocks per game, en route to being selected to the Montana Class A All-State squad. In addition, Albert was a first-team All Southwestern A choice.

A four-year letterwinner, Albert led the Broncs to a 14-7 overall mark as a junior. Albert is a ten-time all-state academic performer and boasts a 4.0 grade-point average.

“Ashley plays point for her high school and we’ll look to move her into a forward spot,” Binford said. “She is very versatile and is one of the purest shooters in the state. Ashley, being the daughter of a coach, has a high basketball IQ and great court awareness. She is another player with huge potential.”

MSU’s other Treasure State signee is Chelsea Banis, a 6-3 center. As a junior, Banis was an all-state and all-conference selection. She helped guide Fairfield High School to the 2008 Class B state title scoring 21 points and hauling down 17 rebounds in the championship game. For her efforts, Banis was named the Class B MVP.

A four-year letterwinner, Banis was a Great Falls Tribune Super State honoree as a junior and is a two-time academic all-state performer, as well. She also lettered for the Eagles in volleyball and track and field.

“Chelsea is a strong, physical player that moves very well and has a great touch,” Binford said. “She will join Jamie Thornton as a true center in our program. We’re excited that she possesses a hungry attitude for the game and unlimited potential.

“We’re happy to have signed two of the top players in the state,” Binford added. “Our program is now at the level where we can compete for the top in-state prospects.”

Kelsey Roben, a 5-10 guard at Denver’s Regis Jesuit High School, is one of seven NCAA Division I signees for the Raiders. Regis Jesuit is preseason No. 6 in the nation and is the top ranked squad in the West region.

Roben, who came off the bench to post 10 points in last year’s Colorado 5A championship game loss to Highlands Ranch, is a projected starter for head coach Carl Mattei’s squad this winter.

As a junior, Roben ranked among the top five in three-point field-goals, assists, steals and blocked shots in the Continental League. In the last three seasons, Regis Jesuit has posted a 75-8 record. A strong student, Roben garnered highest academic honors as a freshman and sophomore.

“Kelsey’s stats basically don’t tell her story as she plays on such an outstanding team- one that is among the nation’s best,” Binford said. “We see a lot of potential in Kelsey. She runs the floor very well, can shoot the three and go to the basket. Kelsey is a good defender and she can play many positions. She has a great upper-end.”

Ally Schmitt, a 5-7 guard at Snohomish High School, sat out her junior season due to a torn ACL. Last year’s Panther squad went 21-7 overall and 14-2 in the WestCo Conference. Snohomish finished seventh at the Washington 4A state tournament.

As a sophomore, Schmitt averaged 4.5 points per game as a point-guard.

“We feel Ally was overlooked as she is coming off an ACL injury,” Binford said. “I really like her mental toughness and that’s a great trait for a point guard. We feel she has tremendous leadership skills and basketball savvy. Ally can really create opportunities for her teammates and that’s what we like from the position. She is a strong, confident competitor.”

Binford stated the Bobcats have one more scholarship available, which MSU might fill during the spring signing period.

2008-09 Montana State Women’s Basketball Recruiting Class

Latisha Adams G 5-9 Fr Albuquerque, NM/West Mesa HS
Ashley Albert F 6-1 Fr Hamilton, MT/Hamilton HS
Chelsea Banis C 6-4 Fr Fairfield, MT/Fairfield HS
Kelsey Roben G 5-10 Fr Denver, CO/Regis Jesuit HS
Ally Schmitt G 5-7 Fr Snohomish, WA/Snohomish HS

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:45 pm

I like this class a lot. Some size and a hell of a lot of athleticism. I don't think Binfords teams will ever be a physically dominating team in the paint but she will have some size, but will have quicker and more skilled interior players, who will stretch defences and pull the big girls out. This is the type of team that can compete outside of the Big Sky Conference. Binford has been able to raise the level of talent each year. We may lose a Mercer type player, but the talent of the over all team still rises. You should also notice how we she has shifted away more and more from JC players as her younger player step up. I hope we can keep her in Bozeman as long as possible.

Man I wish the NCAA would allow the Men to go back to 15 scholarships

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:49 pm

wbtfg wrote:Here's the official list....

Bobcat Women's Basketball Squad Inks Five to the Fold
MSU Bobcats Women's Basketball News : 2008-11-13 : Bozeman, Mont.
By Tom Schulz

The Montana State women’s basketball program has signed five high school student-athletes to national letters-of-intent, announced MSU fourth-year head coach Tricia Binford

Signing for the 2009-10 season are Latisha Adams, Albuquerque, NM, Ashley Albert, Hamilton, Chelsea Banis, Fairfield, Kelsey Roben, Denver, Colo., and Ally Schmitt, Snohomish, Wash.

“With the signing of this class, we fill a need at every position on the court,” Binford said. “They all come from outstanding programs and will help us succeed both athletically and academically.”

Latisha (Tish) Adams is a 5-9 guard at West Mesa High School in Albuquerque, NM. A four-year letterwinner, she averaged 16.1 points, 7.6 rebounds, 4.3 steals and 2.7 assists, last season. For her efforts, Adams was named the Mustangs’ top offensive and defensive player. In addition, she garnered all-metro honors and was named to the Albuquerque Tribune All Metro Second Team.

Adams is a three-time academic letterwinner and was named all-tournament at the Joe Armijo Classic on two occasions.

“Tish is a tremendous athlete that is playing the point for her high school team,” Binford said. “Because of her athleticism, she has tons of potential. She has great ability off the dribble and is the type of player that makes those around her better. We’ll use her at the 2/3 spots, and she can absolutely lock-it-down on defense.”

One of two Montana in-state recruits, Ashley Albert is a 6-1forward from Hamilton. Last season, she averaged 12 points, 8 rebounds, three assists and two blocks per game, en route to being selected to the Montana Class A All-State squad. In addition, Albert was a first-team All Southwestern A choice.

A four-year letterwinner, Albert led the Broncs to a 14-7 overall mark as a junior. Albert is a ten-time all-state academic performer and boasts a 4.0 grade-point average.

“Ashley plays point for her high school and we’ll look to move her into a forward spot,” Binford said. “She is very versatile and is one of the purest shooters in the state. Ashley, being the daughter of a coach, has a high basketball IQ and great court awareness. She is another player with huge potential.”

MSU’s other Treasure State signee is Chelsea Banis, a 6-3 center. As a junior, Banis was an all-state and all-conference selection. She helped guide Fairfield High School to the 2008 Class B state title scoring 21 points and hauling down 17 rebounds in the championship game. For her efforts, Banis was named the Class B MVP.

A four-year letterwinner, Banis was a Great Falls Tribune Super State honoree as a junior and is a two-time academic all-state performer, as well. She also lettered for the Eagles in volleyball and track and field.

“Chelsea is a strong, physical player that moves very well and has a great touch,” Binford said. “She will join Jamie Thornton as a true center in our program. We’re excited that she possesses a hungry attitude for the game and unlimited potential.

“We’re happy to have signed two of the top players in the state,” Binford added. “Our program is now at the level where we can compete for the top in-state prospects.”

Kelsey Roben, a 5-10 guard at Denver’s Regis Jesuit High School, is one of seven NCAA Division I signees for the Raiders. Regis Jesuit is preseason No. 6 in the nation and is the top ranked squad in the West region.

Roben, who came off the bench to post 10 points in last year’s Colorado 5A championship game loss to Highlands Ranch, is a projected starter for head coach Carl Mattei’s squad this winter.

As a junior, Roben ranked among the top five in three-point field-goals, assists, steals and blocked shots in the Continental League. In the last three seasons, Regis Jesuit has posted a 75-8 record. A strong student, Roben garnered highest academic honors as a freshman and sophomore.

“Kelsey’s stats basically don’t tell her story as she plays on such an outstanding team- one that is among the nation’s best,” Binford said. “We see a lot of potential in Kelsey. She runs the floor very well, can shoot the three and go to the basket. Kelsey is a good defender and she can play many positions. She has a great upper-end.”

Ally Schmitt, a 5-7 guard at Snohomish High School, sat out her junior season due to a torn ACL. Last year’s Panther squad went 21-7 overall and 14-2 in the WestCo Conference. Snohomish finished seventh at the Washington 4A state tournament.

As a sophomore, Schmitt averaged 4.5 points per game as a point-guard.

“We feel Ally was overlooked as she is coming off an ACL injury,” Binford said. “I really like her mental toughness and that’s a great trait for a point guard. We feel she has tremendous leadership skills and basketball savvy. Ally can really create opportunities for her teammates and that’s what we like from the position. She is a strong, confident competitor.”

Binford stated the Bobcats have one more scholarship available, which MSU might fill during the spring signing period.

2008-09 Montana State Women’s Basketball Recruiting Class

Latisha Adams G 5-9 Fr Albuquerque, NM/West Mesa HS
Ashley Albert F 6-1 Fr Hamilton, MT/Hamilton HS
Chelsea Banis C 6-4 Fr Fairfield, MT/Fairfield HS
Kelsey Roben G 5-10 Fr Denver, CO/Regis Jesuit HS
Ally Schmitt G 5-7 Fr Snohomish, WA/Snohomish HS
WOW!!! Look like great recruits including a couple great Montana recruits including one from griz territory.
=D^ =D^ =D^ =D^ =D^

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

cat-o-nine
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by cat-o-nine » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:11 am

This ran in the Great Falls Trib this morning, too, with a picture. Great job, Coach! It is fantastic to see some more Montana kids making the squad!

I know I've raised this issue before, but I only wish Huse could find a few more Montana boys for the men's team. One is a pretty sad number and there has got to be some more Montana players out there who could help the team and excite the fans.