2024 Transfer Portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Post Reply
imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1731
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:23 am

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal

Post by imacat » Sat May 04, 2024 1:42 pm

I am happy see Jaden found a home. He will be playing in his hometown. I hope he has a great senior season.



4Mare
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 1:34 am

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal

Post by 4Mare » Sat May 04, 2024 10:00 pm

Another Logie boom tonight.
“Puzzle complete” 👀




User avatar
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired
Posts: 2992
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:00 pm
Location: Back in the US, but not home

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sun May 05, 2024 2:50 am

Has to be a PG, right?


"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

lv2hoop
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:55 pm

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal

Post by lv2hoop » Sun May 05, 2024 10:31 am

I think it is Max Agbonkpolo - via USC, Wyoming, and Utah State. He was in the rotation for Sprinks at Utah State before getting injured.



GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 382
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:18 pm

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Sun May 05, 2024 11:54 am

He would be the highest rated recruit. A former 4*. He could be a game changer and with patrick back I love our outside shooting we just needed another threat who can take the ball to the hoop inside and actually play more than a couple times up and down the court without being completely winded.



MSU01
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7769
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:21 pm

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal

Post by MSU01 » Sun May 05, 2024 4:46 pm

Logie continues to build a very veteran roster if Max A. is the new signing. He'll be in his sixth year of basketball and is only eligible for one more by medical redshirt since he only played 10 games last year before being hurt.



msu_agfan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1013
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Central Montana

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal

Post by msu_agfan » Sun May 05, 2024 5:08 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 4:46 pm
Logie continues to build a very veteran roster if Max A. is the new signing. He'll be in his sixth year of basketball and is only eligible for one more by medical redshirt since he only played 10 games last year before being hurt.
I've noticed that a lot of Big Sky teams are quite lacking in the true freshman category. Weber state is one of the schools who is going against that trend. They have 3 incoming freshman: most everyone else is sitting at 1. Other schools do have some offers extended to highschoolers, but none listed as committed.


Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

MSU01
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7769
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:21 pm

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal

Post by MSU01 » Sun May 05, 2024 5:50 pm

msu_agfan wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 5:08 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 4:46 pm
Logie continues to build a very veteran roster if Max A. is the new signing. He'll be in his sixth year of basketball and is only eligible for one more by medical redshirt since he only played 10 games last year before being hurt.
I've noticed that a lot of Big Sky teams are quite lacking in the true freshman category. Weber state is one of the schools who is going against that trend. They have 3 incoming freshman: most everyone else is sitting at 1. Other schools do have some offers extended to highschoolers, but none listed as committed.
It has to be a pretty awful time to be a high school player right now with so many players who'd normally be out of eligibility in their fifth or sixth years due to the Covid year.



User avatar
kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3804
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Kalispell, MT

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue May 07, 2024 10:39 am

MSU01 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 5:50 pm
msu_agfan wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 5:08 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 4:46 pm
Logie continues to build a very veteran roster if Max A. is the new signing. He'll be in his sixth year of basketball and is only eligible for one more by medical redshirt since he only played 10 games last year before being hurt.
I've noticed that a lot of Big Sky teams are quite lacking in the true freshman category. Weber state is one of the schools who is going against that trend. They have 3 incoming freshman: most everyone else is sitting at 1. Other schools do have some offers extended to highschoolers, but none listed as committed.
It has to be a pretty awful time to be a high school player right now with so many players who'd normally be out of eligibility in their fifth or sixth years due to the Covid year.
Yeah, I was wondering what they're doing. Obviously the blue chippers are going to the big programs. But those programs maybe were getting some developmental players that they're probably not taking anymore, right? And the mid majors will take some guys out of high school but not as many. Do these guys have to go to bad programs and hope they can make a splash? Do they have to go the JuCo route? I honestly have no idea...there are the same amount of players for the same amount of spots, so who's taking these guys? I'm guessing they just sign late after the dust settles, with teams who still have scholarships available? Or am I reading too much into this and it's not much different? It just seems like there are a lot of players out there who don't have places to land, but there aren't less spots on teams overall.


Image

sacstateman
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:20 am

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal

Post by sacstateman » Wed May 08, 2024 9:11 am

msu_agfan wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 5:08 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 4:46 pm
Logie continues to build a very veteran roster if Max A. is the new signing. He'll be in his sixth year of basketball and is only eligible for one more by medical redshirt since he only played 10 games last year before being hurt.
I've noticed that a lot of Big Sky teams are quite lacking in the true freshman category. Weber state is one of the schools who is going against that trend. They have 3 incoming freshman: most everyone else is sitting at 1. Other schools do have some offers extended to highschoolers, but none listed as committed.
We had 6 freshmen on the roster last year, 4 played extensively, 1 played marginally and 1 red shirted...This year it looks like we will only have 2 freshmen....



duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 730
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:09 pm

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal

Post by duelalumnicat » Wed May 08, 2024 3:08 pm

I see today that former Bobcat Luca Colceag has signed with Northern Colorado. He is a 6'9" forward from Bucharest, Romania who was recruited by Coach Haslam. He left the Bobcats after the 2022-23 season, and played this past season at JUCO East Florida State. I think he has 2 years of eligibility left. I wonder if he contacted Coach Logie?



Cataholic
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6769
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:15 am

Making the all-conference squads used to mean that player would be a returning starter on the next years team. Now it means they are probably on a different teams roster. The transfer portal has turned the Big Sky into a developmental league.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... 2.amp.html

Great job by Logie keeping his best players. He could dominate the league for years if he can maintain that trend.



User avatar
AFCAT
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9763
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal

Post by AFCAT » Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:24 pm



QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

mslacat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6085
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:12 am
Contact:

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal

Post by mslacat » Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:45 am

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:24 pm
I truly wish her all the best. I thought she was going to be a fun player to watch develop over 4 years, but we all must follow our path and I bet you she does well at Marist



oldrunner
New Recruit
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:17 pm

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal

Post by oldrunner » Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:18 pm

Weber actually has 4 incoming freshmen and one who will be a RS freshman next fall. Verbal Commits is just not 100% on the ball. I agree that the big boys are leaving a significant amount of talent sitting at the HS level. That is one reason why the JC and Prep ranks have been so good over the last few years. The high majors have been telling kids to wait for the dust to settle in the portal and some of those players are left to scramble for any spot.

The dark side of the portal experience is showing through right now. A quick glance at the numbers today show that 35% of the 2,041 D1 transfers in the portal this year, have not found a home. Some of those will be dropping down to D11, D111, or NAIA. However, many of them will be out of basketball for good. This is the last year of the COVID effect on recruiting. It should be a bit more normal in the coming years, but the portal is still where the high majors will do a lot of their recruiting. They want to get old and stay old. They will still take some 4* and 5* guys, but not much below that.

International recruiting is also cutting into the prospects for American HS players. It doesn't help that many HS players are expecting big NIL paydays when they come out.



User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7375
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal

Post by RickRund » Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:43 pm

oldrunner wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:18 pm
Weber actually has 4 incoming freshmen and one who will be a RS freshman next fall. Verbal Commits is just not 100% on the ball. I agree that the big boys are leaving a significant amount of talent sitting at the HS level. That is one reason why the JC and Prep ranks have been so good over the last few years. The high majors have been telling kids to wait for the dust to settle in the portal and some of those players are left to scramble for any spot.

The dark side of the portal experience is showing through right now. A quick glance at the numbers today show that 35% of the 2,041 D1 transfers in the portal this year, have not found a home. Some of those will be dropping down to D11, D111, or NAIA. However, many of them will be out of basketball for good. This is the last year of the COVID effect on recruiting. It should be a bit more normal in the coming years, but the portal is still where the high majors will do a lot of their recruiting. They want to get old and stay old. They will still take some 4* and 5* guys, but not much below that.

International recruiting is also cutting into the prospects for American HS players. It doesn't help that many HS players are expecting big NIL paydays when they come out.
Maybe this trend may make some tend to be satisfied with where they were.


msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

oldrunner
New Recruit
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:17 pm

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal

Post by oldrunner » Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:33 pm

RickRund wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:43 pm
oldrunner wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:18 pm

The dark side of the portal experience is showing through right now. A quick glance at the numbers today show that 35% of the 2,041 D1 transfers in the portal this year, have not found a home. Some of those will be dropping down to D11, D111, or NAIA. However, many of them will be out of basketball for good. This is the last year of the COVID effect on recruiting. It should be a bit more normal in the coming years, but the portal is still where the high majors will do a lot of their recruiting. They want to get old and stay old. They will still take some 4* and 5* guys, but not much below that.

International recruiting is also cutting into the prospects for American HS players. It doesn't help that many HS players are expecting big NIL paydays when they come out.
Maybe this trend may make some tend to be satisfied with where they were.
For a large number of those in the portal it is not about being satisfied where you are, when you are being cut from a team. Some players in the portal were quite comfortable where they were. Maybe a bit too comfortable. Usually it only takes a year or two for a coach to determine if a player is ever going to be a regular contributor or not. If not, they should be moving on, their choice or not.



User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7375
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal

Post by RickRund » Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:10 pm

oldrunner wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:33 pm
RickRund wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:43 pm
oldrunner wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:18 pm

The dark side of the portal experience is showing through right now. A quick glance at the numbers today show that 35% of the 2,041 D1 transfers in the portal this year, have not found a home. Some of those will be dropping down to D11, D111, or NAIA. However, many of them will be out of basketball for good. This is the last year of the COVID effect on recruiting. It should be a bit more normal in the coming years, but the portal is still where the high majors will do a lot of their recruiting. They want to get old and stay old. They will still take some 4* and 5* guys, but not much below that.

International recruiting is also cutting into the prospects for American HS players. It doesn't help that many HS players are expecting big NIL paydays when they come out.
Maybe this trend may make some tend to be satisfied with where they were.
For a large number of those in the portal it is not about being satisfied where you are, when you are being cut from a team. Some players in the portal were quite comfortable where they were. Maybe a bit too comfortable. Usually it only takes a year or two for a coach to determine if a player is ever going to be a regular contributor or not. If not, they should be moving on, their choice or not.
So I guess what you are saying is that a good number have been told that maybe they should look for better opportunities. Not everyone is a Raequan.


msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

homeytennis
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 11:33 am
Location: Boise
Contact:

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal

Post by homeytennis » Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:46 am

Looking around the Big Sky, Weber appears to be the favorite at this juncture based on portal signings. Idaho State has ten new players. EWU appears to have none but their coach may be bringing some players with him. Montana appears to be gutted at this point but there are still players out there.



oldrunner
New Recruit
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:17 pm

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal

Post by oldrunner » Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:42 pm

homeytennis wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:46 am
Looking around the Big Sky, Weber appears to be the favorite at this juncture based on portal signings. Idaho State has ten new players. EWU appears to have none but their coach may be bringing some players with him. Montana appears to be gutted at this point but there are still players out there.
I think UM has done really well in the portal. They don't have a lot of size in the post, but neither do the Bobcats. Another team that has done really well in the portal is UNCo. They seem to have replaced everything they lost. PSU and ISU have had some interesting pickups as well.

If I had to make a wild guess, I would say that the top four will likely be MSU, UM, UNCo, and WSU. Dark horse teams are ISU, NAU, PSU and UI. Teams that I wouldn't bet my bank account on are Sac and EWU. They could surprise me, but both have a lot of rebuilding and development to get done in a short amount of time.



Post Reply