EWU hires Dan Monson

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

EWU hires Dan Monson

Post by MSU01 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:45 pm

Great hire for them, Monson returns to the Spokane area where he helped to start off Gonzaga's run back in the '90s. Logie's decision to turn down WSU certainly had some interesting carryon effects!

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: EWU hires Dan Monson

Post by imacat » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:52 pm

I agree with you … a great hire. EWU broke with it’s recent trend and hired someone outside the program.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:43 am

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:45 pm
Great hire for them, Monson returns to the Spokane area where he helped to start off Gonzaga's run back in the '90s. Logie's decision to turn down WSU certainly had some interesting carryon effects!
and his dad was Don Monson who coached a few years at idaho and won the BSC in 1981 and 1982. with a sweet 16 appearance, the only one for the BSC.

i was at u of i then and enjoyed playing pickup games with a few of the players at the gym. nothing like getting your ass handed to you on a plate in Memorial Gym.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

imacat

Post by imacat » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:01 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:43 am
MSU01 wrote:
and his dad was Don Monson who coached a few years at idaho and won the BSC in 1981 and 1982. with a sweet 16 appearance, the only one for the BSC.

i was at u of i then and enjoyed playing pickup games with a few of the players at the gym. nothing like getting your ass handed to you on a plate in Memorial Gym.
The 1976-77 Idaho State team defeated UCLA in the Sweet 16.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:11 pm

imacat wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:01 pm
Montanabob wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

oops forgot about the other idaho

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Desert_Bobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

EWU: Dan Monson

Post by Desert_Bobcat » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:47 pm

Saw earlier today that EUpee-yew hired Dan Monson as their new head basketball coach. Hard to say that isn’t a great get for their program.

Monson, of course, is pretty well known for launching the Gonzaga dynasty (leading them to the Elite 8 in ‘99). But maybe more recently he is known for being fired at Long Beach St and then running the table to win the Big West taking the Beach to the NCAA Tournament this year.

It’ll be interesting to see if he is able to retain any EWU talent that is currently in the portal in addition to adding any of his dudes that are in the portal from LBS.

All-in-all a good get for the conference. But I fear those clowns in Cheney might not be going away anytime soon

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: EWU: Dan Monson

Post by AFCAT » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:28 am

Hmmm, a good coach on the downside of his career coming back home. It's almost like Eastern got tired of losing their younger coaches every few years and went with somebody older that wanted to stay in that area.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:02 am

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:28 am
Hmmm, a good coach on the downside of his career coming back home. It's almost like Eastern got tired of losing their younger coaches every few years and went with somebody older that wanted to stay in that area.
We will see, got fired so might be all he could get and could still move if opportunity arises.

Sports is not bigger than life

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:53 am

tetoncat wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:02 am
AFCAT wrote:
We will see, got fired so might be all he could get and could still move if opportunity arises.
And still won the conference tourney after getting fired. He is a good coach and I think he will build EWU up once again.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:17 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:53 am
tetoncat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
And still won the conference tourney after getting fired. He is a good coach and I think he will build EWU up once again.
Wasn't saying not a good coach. More your point of a coach on downside of career, coming home, and might stay. If successful he could get plucked away as well, just have to see. Just don't think it was his choice to be looking. Might be content now since was fired.

Sports is not bigger than life

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:47 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:17 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:53 am
tetoncat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Wasn't saying not a good coach. More your point of a coach on downside of career, coming home, and might stay. If successful he could get plucked away as well, just have to see. Just don't think it was his choice to be looking. Might be content now since was fired.
I know, I was just commenting on how well he did last season. I think EWU hit a home run there. Time will tell though

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:10 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:11 pm
imacat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

A few other BSC teams made the Sweet 16 "back in the day". UM almost beat UCLA in 1975 in the Sweet 16, and UCLA went on to win the championship which was John Woodens last title. Weber made the Sweet 16 at least once, maybe a couple times, in the 70s and early 80s. The BSC used to be much more competitive back then. I don't really understand why that's changed so drastically.

imacat

Post by imacat » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:48 pm

John K wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:10 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:11 pm
imacat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

A few other BSC teams made the Sweet 16 "back in the day". UM almost beat UCLA in 1975 in the Sweet 16, and UCLA went on to win the championship which was John Woodens last title. Weber made the Sweet 16 at least once, maybe a couple times, in the 70s and early 80s. The BSC used to be much more competitive back then. I don't really understand why that's changed so drastically.
The 1981-82 Idaho team was ranked No. 8 in nation in both the AP and Coaches poll.