Utah State job is open...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

lv2hoop
BobcatNation Letterman

Utah State job is open...

Post by lv2hoop » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:09 am

If you follow this stuff, the Utah State job (Odom left for VCU) is open. He was making $800k per year in Logan. Their message board is saying it is either Miles from SJSU, Johnson from LMU, or Sprinkle as the leading candidates. There's some pretty heated conversations, mostly negative toward Odom for bailing on Utah State and heading back East.

It's going to be an interesting Final Four weekend, as I'm sure Utah St. will want to get a coach on board quickly.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Utah State job is open...

Post by mslacat » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:40 am

lv2hoop wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:09 am
If you follow this stuff, the Utah State job (Odom left for VCU) is open. He was making $800k per year in Logan. Their message board is saying it is either Miles from SJSU, Johnson from LMU, or Sprinkle as the leading candidates. There's some pretty heated conversations, mostly negative toward Odom for bailing on Utah State and heading back East.

It's going to be an interesting Final Four weekend, as I'm sure Utah St. will want to get a coach on board quickly.
Sprinkle's name is being brought up quite a bit by fans on Twitter and Facebook but I have not heard any reliable information that his hat is actually been thrown in. Also, he does not seem to be anyone's "favorite" but who knows? Is Utah State that better of an opportunity than MSU?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:14 am

mslacat wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:40 am
lv2hoop wrote:

Sprinkle's name is being brought up quite a bit by fans on Twitter and Facebook but I have not heard any reliable information that his hat is actually been thrown in. Also, he does not seem to be anyone's "favorite" but who knows? Is Utah State that better of an opportunity than MSU?
Huge salary increase notwithstanding, I'd say it's a pretty clear step up from MSU or any other Big Sky job. The MWC had four teams in the NCAA tournament this year and one in the Final Four. The Big Sky hasn't won an NCAA game since '06 and no Big Sky team will ever get an at-large bid to the tournament short of something ridiculously unlikely like having an undefeated regular season.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:24 pm

mslacat wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:40 am
lv2hoop wrote:

He can afford a bigger snow-thrower at USU.

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:27 pm

This one could very well happen. Danny and Pat Kelsey look like two of the best options. Stu Morrill was there for a long time. Had a nice run at Utah State. So they're not afraid to hire a Big Sky coach out of the State of Montana. This one worries me. Plus, it's a big pay increase.
Last edited by PHAT CAT on Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

homeytennis
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by homeytennis » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:25 pm

USU has an interesting dynamic at the moment. An interim athletic director and a president that is retiring June 1. That could scare some coaches off.

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:38 pm

homeytennis wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:25 pm
USU has an interesting dynamic at the moment. An interim athletic director and a president that is retiring June 1. That could scare some coaches off.
That's some damn good info. I'd need a six at 800k to get on board. If the AD is rolling out. That should be easy to get. Interesting.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:26 am

Hi to the Utah State message board people who are making fun of the length of this thread. Not much to talk about here right now after another successful season and lack of any significant transfer portal entries so far. Don't worry, if we end up with a coaching vacancy because Sprinkle goes to USU there'll be hundreds of posts here too. He'd be an amazing hire for USU if Tunka turns the job down. Don't tell your interim AD that although I'd guess he already knows.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:43 pm

So if Sprinkle takes the USU job, or any other job, who are candidates to replace him? I'd put Colby Blaine (College of Idaho) on the short list. They guy took over a strong NAIA program and elevated them to the next level. NAIA national champs this season.

Also saw Germer just signed with them (as well as Peoples out of Butte Central).

Who else?

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:50 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:43 pm
So if Sprinkle takes the USU job, or any other job, who are candidates to replace him? I'd put Colby Blaine (College of Idaho) on the short list. They guy took over a strong NAIA program and elevated them to the next level. NAIA national champs this season.

Also saw Germer just signed with them (as well as Peoples out of Butte Central).

Who else?
https://406mtsports.com/college/pair-of ... 7bd91.html

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:58 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:50 pm
LTown Cat wrote:

Who else?
https://406mtsports.com/college/pair-of ... 7bd91.html
I meant who else to replace Sprinkle?

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:41 pm

Haslam or Hill have been mentioned here. Are they ready for head job. Blaine is good does he have enough regional connections for recruiting the D1 athlete. How many D1 players have come thru the Select program he is part of?

Sports is not bigger than life

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:12 pm

LTown Cat wrote:

Who else?
You would not enjoy Blaine's style. You probably also would not enjoy Blaine's sideline manner. I'm not saying he is a bad coach, but he is not Big Sky quality. We could find better than that.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:47 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:41 pm
Haslam or Hill have been mentioned here. Are they ready for head job. Blaine is good does he have enough regional connections for recruiting the D1 athlete. How many D1 players have come thru the Select program he is part of?
I think Andy Hill would be a very strong candidate if the job were to come open. His resume has clear similarities to Coach Vigen's career before he came to MSU (Vigen is to Craig Bohl as Hill is to Larry Krystkowiak), and he has also been considered before for the MSU head coaching job in at least one prior search process.

Willneal
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Willneal » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:58 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:41 pm
Justin Wetzel should be added to the short list, he checks a lot of boxes. Current NBA and NBA G league coach (Pacers), former Bobcat assistant and has head coaching experience (college and pro)

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:12 pm

What if Sprinkle really likes what he's built and wants to build a mid-major power?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:15 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:12 pm
What if Sprinkle really likes what he's built and wants to build a mid-major power?
If Sprinkle wants to build a mid-major power then he needs to be coaching in a better conference than the Big Sky.

lv2hoop
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by lv2hoop » Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:20 pm

If there's an opening, Leon is going to want to hit another home run. My guess is that he's at the Final 4 right now getting ready to pounce in case of an opening.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:28 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Well if that's the case then let's tap some kegs and open a few bottles of our favorite hard stuff, throw away the caps cause we won't be needing them and have a party worthy of that great news. While we're at it fire up some grills and get some steaks and chops going from every animal known to Montana ranchers and hunters. Bring your favorite side dish to share.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:57 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
🤞Hopefully he does!