Darian White in portal - no surprise.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Darian White in portal - no surprise.

Post by AFCAT » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:18 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: Darian White in portal - no surprise.

Post by MSU01 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:20 pm

I have never been more supportive of an MSU player entering the portal than I am in this case. I hope Darian tears up the Pac 12 for a year and goes on to a lucrative pro career. Will be a fan of whichever school she ends up at next year!

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:34 pm

Go Darian!

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:36 pm

Go, Darian! She had wound up her career at MSU, and it would probably benefit her greatly to use her unexpected Covid bonus year at a higher level of competition. We love you, Darian, and hope to see you somewhere next year. 💙 💛 😺

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:17 am

This is classy! Even more respect for a coach who wants the best for her kids!

https://twitter.com/coachbin/status/164 ... Sqwar5_4nQ

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:13 pm

It will be an interesting Hall of Fame class when Ifanse and White are inducted together. Both are all time greats for MSU and both chose to use their last year of eligibility elsewhere. No harm doing that in my opinion and shouldn’t hurt their legacies, but still a strange fact.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:19 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:13 pm
It will be an interesting Hall of Fame class when Ifanse and White are inducted together. Both are all time greats for MSU and both chose to use their last year of eligibility elsewhere. No harm doing that in my opinion and shouldn’t hurt their legacies, but still a strange fact.

I hate it.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:21 pm

AFCAT wrote:
And hopefully what everyone remembers Is that if it wasn't for COVID, they would have no eligibility. They held up their end of commitment

Sports is not bigger than life

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:21 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:19 pm
AFCAT wrote:

I hate it.
Blame it on Covid. Without the “bonus” year, this issue would be moot. Once those classes cycle out, things should get somewhat less nuts.

(And at 2:21 p.m. two of us agreed. Amazing, on here.)

aucat

Post by aucat » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:37 pm

So Darian White has one more year of eligibility, even though she played four seasons for MSU, and she has entered the portal.

I can see some teams willing to shell out some big bucks if they are missing a key point guard who can really handle the ball, give out assists, play tough defense, and shoot free throws. ESPECIALLY, if your team already has good shooters from the perimeter, because as we know Darian is not a consistent 3 point shooter.

As for Darian, I say, go for it. Good for her!

But for the landscape of college basketball, it is absolutely crazy.

There was a good interview with Charles Barkley on 60 Minutes last Sunday. As he described it, the world of college sports will now feature about 25 schools that have the big bucks and are willing to shell it out. Maybe not a serious issues yet for FCS football or mid-majors like MSU in hoops, but Charles hits the nail on the head. College sports as we used to know it has been ruined.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:38 pm

aucat wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:37 pm
So Darian White has one more year of eligibility, even though she played four seasons for MSU, and she has entered the portal.

I can see some teams willing to shell out some big bucks if they are missing a key point guard who can really handle the ball, give out assists, play tough defense, and shoot free throws. ESPECIALLY, if your team already has good shooters from the perimeter, because as we know Darian is not a consistent 3 point shooter.

There was a good interview with Charles Barkley on 60 Minutes last Sunday. As he described it, the world of college sports will now feature about 25 schools that have the big bucks and are willing to shell it out. Maybe not a serious issues yet for FCS football or mid-majors like MSU in hoops, but Charles hits the nail on the head. College sports as we used to know it has been ruined.
Yup. I hate it.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:40 pm

aucat wrote:

And yet we have 3 of the 4 teams in the final four who have never been there before. And they aren’t super transfer heavy teams.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:22 pm

One of my all time favorite Bobcats-in any sport. Hope she has fun where-ever she ends up.

aucat

Post by aucat » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:12 am

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:40 pm
aucat wrote:

And yet we have 3 of the 4 teams in the final four who have never been there before. And they aren’t super transfer heavy teams.
Yes, that's the magic of basketball. There are a lot of kids out there who can play good basketball and shoot the rock. However, I doubt that we will see such Cincerella teams advancing in the FBS football playoffs. But heck yeah, go FAU!

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:17 am

aucat wrote:

Not a major thing for FCS Football? Its exists in a major major way and has created a GIANT gap. The DSU's, the Montana schools, even Weebs has a nice facility. There are definitely the have and have nots and it has a TON to do with money.

Hating the griz since 02.

catgradtimes2
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by catgradtimes2 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:20 am

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:40 pm
aucat wrote:

One of those schools is following the NIL model to a T though. Miami has cash flowing from John Ruiz. Has for years, but now that’s it all above ground the deals are Huge. Nijel Pack (KSU transfer) is making 400k a year, Wong is making 100k a year. It’s a new world out there, and Miami is definitely in the have group.

aucat

Post by aucat » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:30 am

CodyCat wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:17 am
aucat wrote:

Not a major thing for FCS Football? Its exists in a major major way and has created a GIANT gap. The DSU's, the Montana schools, even Weebs has a nice facility. There are definitely the have and have nots and it has a TON to do with money.
Cody I don't disagree with you. I didn't make a very good comment there. As you say, there is a HUGE disparity among FCS schools and I often worry how it is going to shake out. The LAST thing I want is for MSU to move up to FBS. I have seen so many other FCS schools do that and I just don't see the advantage. They become tiny fish in a humongous pond. MSU is really in the upper echelon in FCS right now, but you are certainly correct that others are rather pathetic regarding fan support and facilities. I don't know what the answer is.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:09 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:19 pm
AFCAT wrote:

I hate it.
Ditto. Not to derail but if II was heading to Georgia, It’s say good for him, he deserves a shot at the absolute highest level. But…… he’s going to play for a mediocre team that the Cats would probably beat.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:14 am

Anyword on offers?

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:26 pm

AFCAT wrote:
I disagree. It very much harms their MSU legacy in my book. You want to be in the MSU hall of fame? Finish your career as a Bobcat. I wish Darian and Isaiah the best, and it is their prerogative to leave but I just don't see them the same way after they leave and go play elsewhere.