Big Sky Women’s Basketball Tournament

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Big Sky Women’s Basketball Tournament

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:23 pm

I’m concerned about our posts, and not just the ones here on Bobcat Nation. 😜 Losing Kola will really hurt. She did a lot of work down in there (along with Lexi). Kola had the form and ability to shoot from outside, but she was as good as a freshman as she was a senior. These other teams must be developing their bigs with a more position-less strategy. Coach Binford was headed there a ways back, but then we became one of the few teams (like the men) that actually play people as pure posts. Anyway, I think there is one “big” recruit. I think Marah has all the tools to be such a player. I’m not too worried about the guards. We always have a lot of them and getting Brooke Berry was a huge bonus.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:15 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:23 pm
I’m concerned about our posts, and not just the ones here on Bobcat Nation. 😜 Losing Kola will really hurt. She did a lot of work down in there (along with Lexi). Kola had the form and ability to shoot from outside, but she was as good as a freshman as she was a senior. These other teams must be developing their bigs with a more position-less strategy. Coach Binford was headed there a ways back, but then we became one of the few teams (like the men) that actually play people as pure posts. Anyway, I think there is one “big” recruit. I think Marah has all the tools to be such a player. I’m not too worried about the guards. We always have a lot of them and getting Brooke Berry was a huge bonus.
Now wait a minute. You aren’t serious saying Kola played as good as a freshman as she did as a senior are you? Remember Kola didn’t even run the floor effectively as a freshman due to her BAB (Big A$$ Brace), she went from a no name in Conference to 2nd team all-conference, she improved in just about every category except 3 point shooting?

I don’t believe the sky is falling like some predict but I do believe we are in for a rebuilding year or two. I also don’t think a 20 win season and tie for Big Sky Conference regular season championship is a tragedy nor an indication we should rid ourselves of the coaching staff. A loss in the tourney definitely is discouraging to me but not the end of the world as we know it.

I do agree that we need more strength on the inside. I am more concerned than you about the guard situation if Darian and Grace both go because we have no one who has played the point on offense but them. I wouldn’t count out the possibility we lose one or two other players to transfer (even possibly one of our key junior players) . And I just don’t know the potential of the incoming recruits yet but they certainly will not contribute at the level of the outgoing crew.

I do think the Big Sky is getting stronger. There have been several great new coaches hired taking over programs. New better competition only makes the conference better and I am OK with that.

It will be an interesting transition year.

aucat

Post by aucat » Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:51 pm

Wherever Sac State goes to play in the NCAA I just hope that they don't get the jitters and fail to play up to their potential.

If I'm not mistaken this is their first time in the NCAA. And last year our MSU team appeared to be shellshocked and was
intimidated by Stanford. As I remember we did not even score in the first period and Taylor Janson got "dunked on." On the other hand the year that we played Washington in the NCAA I recall we started strong and stayed with them for at least a half. And that UW team had some real stars that have gone on to the WNBA.

If Sac State can play the way they were playing at the end of the season I believe they can stay with most teams for a decent portion
of the game. As for MSU going forward, you gotta have some strong physicality in the post and you have to have great shooters on the perimeter.
Watching the MSU men the last two games against Weber and NAU, did you watch just how HARD and INTENSELY our guys guarded? I mean it was lights out. I don't know how Coach Sprinkle gets them to play that relentless and that hard but he needs to share some of his methods with Coach Binford.
NAU had some GREAT 3 point shooters but our guys rarely allowed them an open shot.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:50 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote: Kola had the form and ability to shoot from outside, but she was as good as a freshman as she was a senior.
Oh, no! That qualifier only applies to the first part of the sentence — her outside shooting. Other aspects of her game got better year-by-year, month-by-month. That’s why we’ll miss her so badly. One of my favorite players ever, and she represents my ancestral area of the state. Love the girls from Billings and east.

I though when Grace first came in there was talk of her playing two years. I kind of relaxed on that, but now it sounds like she could be done. Then, that’s an issue. I have not wanted to write the word “transfer” and I’ve tried to keep my brain away from it, too, but to no avail.

We’ll be fine. This is a top-flight program with a top-flight head coach. A Darius Brown II may appear just as a Fallyn Freije did when we needed such a person. Coach Bin is on top of things, I have no doubt.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:27 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:50 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote: Kola had the form and ability to shoot from outside, but she was as good as a freshman as she was a senior.
Oh, no! That qualifier only applies to the first part of the sentence — her outside shooting. Other aspects of her game got better year-by-year, month-by-month. That’s why we’ll miss her so badly. One of my favorite players ever, and she represents my ancestral area of the state. Love the girls from Billings and east.

I though when Grace first came in there was talk of her playing two years. I kind of relaxed on that, but now it sounds like she could be done. Then, that’s an issue. I have not wanted to write the word “transfer” and I’ve tried to keep my brain away from it, too, but to no avail.

We’ll be fine. This is a top-flight program with a top-flight head coach. A Darius Brown II may appear just as a Fallyn Freije did when we needed such a person. Coach Bin is on top of things, I have no doubt.
I think Brooke Berry is an elite defender, especially on the perimeter. She’s got great length and athleticism. If she doesn’t start, she’ll still get a ton of minutes. She’s going to change how MSU plays defense.

It’s too soon to get overly excited about Erickson, but she played one of the most complete games I’ve seen by a HS player in ages last night. Her length, jumping ability and athleticism are very good. Only a junior. She totally appears to understand the game. Great combination of positional defense and athletic ability.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:44 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:27 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

I think Brooke Berry is an elite defender, especially on the perimeter. She’s got great length and athleticism. If she doesn’t start, she’ll still get a ton of minutes. She’s going to change how MSU plays defense.

It’s too soon to get overly excited about Erickson, but she played one of the most complete games I’ve seen by a HS player in ages last night. Her length, jumping ability and athleticism are very good. Only a junior. She totally appears to understand the game. Great combination of positional defense and athletic ability.
I will ask again TomCat88. Has Erickson’s commitment to the Cats been confirmed anywhere? Or is your “I heard she committed to MSU” confirmation enough?

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:43 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:

Thanks for clarifying on Kola. Agreed.

Yes Gracie came in with two to play and I hope she does decide to come back. If she doesn’t graduate she would have to sit another year if she transferred (I believe since she has already transferred from UW to MSU). If she graduates and moves to grad school she can make a move without penalty. At her age, my “opinion” is she just moves on with life or decides to come back for her last season. But I have been wrong before.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:48 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:44 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:27 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

I will ask again TomCat88. Has Erickson’s commitment to the Cats been confirmed anywhere? Or is your “I heard she committed to MSU” confirmation enough?
Coach Smallwood presented the attached recruiting schedule (in more succinct form) at a booster meeting. She said MSU will say nothing “official” on a recruit except during signing periods. For spring that will start April 12 (see towards bottom of the article). However, the recruit can talk about as much as they want on social media, with friends, etc. I suspect we will know something “official” in a few weeks.

https://www.ncsasports.org/womens-baske ... ar-rules#5