WBB at UNC

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

WBB at UNC

Post by catscat » Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:13 pm

This game is lots more fun to watch than Thursday's. Cats comfortably ahead all game, just need to finish.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: WBB at UNC

Post by MSU01 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:40 pm

And...everybody exhale.

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:47 pm

80-60 Cats.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:14 pm

What a difference a day — and another day — makes. Only 8 turnovers, shot over 50% from the field (even with missed bunnies), and no giving up uncontested layups and threes. Hopefully Flagstaff will just be the sole datum in the long left tail of performance.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:25 pm

Won 80-60 and got killed at the FT line. Really not bad.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:11 pm

RickRund wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:25 pm
Won 80-60 and got killed at the FT line. Really not bad.
The Cats did get out scored 21 to 7 from the free throw line but it is important to look a little closer on that.
Cats shot 7 of 7 free throws 100%
bears shot 21 of 30 free throws 70%

The difference arose from the Cats being called for 23 fouls while the bears were called for 12.
There might have been a few missed calls but over all that was just how the two teams played today.
Good win for the lady Cats.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:14 pm

‘Cats did a *much* better job of maintaining spacing on offense. When they did, it kept the ball moving and they got great looks inside. When they didn’t and went back to their standby of three in the paint drawing three defenders, followed by a shovel or bounce pass, it didn’t end well. Keep the spacing — they’ll be much better. Horrible foul discrepancy against us today — fortunately played well enough to overcome that. I think Darian shot one free throw. Go, ‘Cats. 💙💛😺

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:43 pm

Good bounce back. Darian with 25. NAU experienced point guard Regan Schenck caused problems on Thursday, but today UNCU's guards provided little resistance. The lady griz beat NAU so that helps us. NAU has the tiebreaker so we need them to drop a few.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:43 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:43 pm
Good bounce back. Darian with 25. NAU experienced point guard Regan Schenck caused problems on Thursday, but today UNCU's guards provided little resistance. The lady griz beat NAU so that helps us. NAU has the tiebreaker so we need them to drop a few.
Can't believe how Darian was shooting from 3. She looked like Katie Bussey. Maybe they had a little shooting class between Thursday and Saturday.

2024 Resume dominance

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:21 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:43 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:43 pm
Can't believe how Darian was shooting from 3. She looked like Katie Bussey. Maybe they had a little shooting class between Thursday and Saturday.
Darian was shooting very well but not from 3. She didn't shoot a single 3 ball. She did have a couple long shots for two though... close to the arc but refs ruled she was inside the arc. Official box score was 0-0 from the arc on Darian.

The one who shot well from outside was KJ Limardo who went 4 for 9 from the arc. I know some on the board have been critical of KJ for her play this season but she does have the 2nd most made 3s on the team (2nd only to Beattie) and KJ has the best shooting % from the arc on the team at just a bit over 39% after close to 80 shots taken from long range (Leia is close behind at 38.5%). Something for fans to watch in remaining games is that Coach Bin has been asking a lot more from KJ on defense this season and with her long arms and defense movement she is an effective defender.....she leads the team in steals at 36 (better than even Darian this year)... and KJ did record 4 steals in the UNC game. I kinda would like to see KJ a bit more involved in the offense to use her 3 point shooting, I know we have better people than KJ on the team to take it inside so her 85% free throw shooting % is underutilized....but seems like we could work some more plays to get her open on the perimeter for long range shots. KJ really needs to improve her ball handling this year as she has made a lot of turnovers... her assist to turnover ratio is under 1.0 so something to work on.

Additional sidenotes:

First, if my counting is correct, this is Coach Binfords win #308 which ties her for 2nd all time in wins for coaches in the Big Sky.

Second, this gives the Lady Cats 16 wins which means this is another winning season. I believe we will pass 20 wins again by end of season... gosh I hope so or we will have totally collapsed.

Third, Coach this week said that Grace Beasley is also going to be part of the senior night event. In a separate thread I had reported on Kola, Darian, and Maddie but I was hoping Grace would make it clear she was staying for a 2nd year.... and she still can... I'm just hoping this is not an early indication that she is planning on moving on also.