WBB vs Sac State for First Place Saturday afternoon

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: WBB vs Sac State for First Place Saturday afternoon

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:57 pm

Lot of good comments already.

Gotta admit I was surprised at size of crowd. I said earlier it might be sparse but folks showed up for “pack the place in pink” and it was a loud crowd during come back! Way to go fans.

SacSt other starter for most of season Peneuta did not play this weekend but Amusan really delivered for Hornets. Amusan was averaging only about 13 min per game and she only made 3 of 19 from the arc in conference play to date (less than 20%)! Then she goes off against the Griz shooting 6 of 10 from the arc and repeats the 6 of 10 number against the Cats! I can understand a game plan giving her the arc shot at start of game…thought Cats made some good adjustments to disrupt her better as the game progressed.

Dean is a great player. She was unstoppable at times. Agree she looked like she got wearier late.

Proud of the Ladies! Great recovery. Never gave up.

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:47 pm

I agree that the crowd size really surprised me. The roads were slick, it was cold with the wind howling, but really a good turnout and it got loud.

When we were down 17 I figured it was just a matter of how many points we would eventually lose by. Little by little we chipped away and got back in it, but dang. gotta avoid these kind of starts. Glad we got the W at home because it will be tough at their little noisy gym.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:19 am

As @Colter_Nuanez said on @1029ESPN on Thursday: Montana State women's hoops is finding ways to win even when they don't play particularly well. That's why they are reigning #BigSkyWBB champions.

https://skylinesportsmt.com/montana-sta ... rst-place/

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:20 am

nevadacat wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:59 pm
Our ladies have grit, no doubt about it.

Great win!

Some of the worst officiating I have seen in a long time.
I agree. It looked absolutely terrible from the ESPN+ replays. Just disgusting actually. That one call on Leia — she’s a foot off the floor grabbing a rebound straight up with both hands. The Sac player just throws herself into Leia and draws a foul. Never have I ever … I told my wife, I have no idea how Trish keeps herself together during such moments. I hope that game gets highlighted for review at Big Sky headquarters.

hoopsforhope
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by hoopsforhope » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:44 pm

What a game. Still not sure of the starting lineup - Leia buckets should be there.
She is a sparkplug out there!
Great win and grit shown by all.

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:01 pm

hoopsforhope wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:44 pm
What a game. Still not sure of the starting lineup - Leia buckets should be there.
There was a point earlier in the season when Beatty seemed a bit out of control on the offensive end. It wasn't long after we saw Jackson take her starting position. I would imagine she will have to return to her sophomore form, and then some, to get the starting role back. As it sits now, you have two players -- Jackson and Beattie -- who would start on just about every team in the Big Sky,

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:35 pm

nevadacat wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:01 pm
hoopsforhope wrote:
There was a point earlier in the season when Beatty seemed a bit out of control on the offensive end. It wasn't long after we saw Jackson take her starting position. I would imagine she will have to return to her sophomore form, and then some, to get the starting role back. As it sits now, you have two players -- Jackson and Beattie -- who would start on just about every team in the Big Sky,
Starting for Binford really doesn't mean much. I think coach looks at units that play well together and that matters most. Her teams are deep and she rotates like a hockey team. Some nights the bench has more points than the starting lineup.

I also think some players play better coming off the bench instead of starting. Peyton Ferris didn't start until she was a senior and is one of the best players in Bobcat history.

I guess what I'm saying is the starting lineup for the Bobcat WBB team is just not that important.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:57 pm

Regarding the starting lineup, with 6 wins in a row I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Who finishes is more important than who starts anyway.

Also, I saw today that Dean of Sac State won Player of the Week. Very well deserved, though it has to be rare for the winner to come from a team that had an 0-2 weekend.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:53 pm

nevadacat wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:01 pm
hoopsforhope wrote:
I haven’t looked, but at least for the first few games after Leia and Madison switched, it seemed like Leia’s offensive performance went up a level. I’m totally fine with her entering the game against some reserves from the other team!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:43 pm

If they have more starts like Saturday we might see a change. Beattie coming in means instant offense for that second unit. Jackson is a high energy player and sets the tone on defense locking somebody down. She was sick this weekend so maybe that's why it didn't work so well. If you swap Jackson and Beattie the second unit doesn't have the offensive punch with Lexi Deden also starting. Beattie coming in against a tired unit can really work like a charm. Beattie should get top reserve all conference if she continues coming off the bench.