WBB at um

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: WBB at um

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:55 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:30 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:33 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:25 am
I didn't say everyone who watches the games is looking for a reason to complain. Based on what I've read on this forum over the years I stand by my assertion that some are. I suppose it's a fair point to say that the local TV broadcasts shouldn't have anyone directly connected to either school, although they did balance it out somewhat by having MSU's Jeff Riggs on the men's broadcast. Redpath isn't a professional announcer nor do I think she has any desire to be one, but in the decades of watching local TV Cat/Griz broadcasts Redpath is far from being amongst the worst announcers they've used in my opinion. My main issue with her is that she can spend too much time talking about herself and former teammate, old coaches, etc. instead of focusing on the game at hand.

Gregorak did a very good job but I can see away fans being a little irked by some of his more boisterous celebrations when MSU made big plays. Totally agree on Joe Cravens, that guy is great but nobody's going to be able to match that personality unless Bob Green wants to come out of retirement for some color basketball commentary!
This confused me. She’s not a professional announcer, or she doesn’t sound like a professional announcer? I suspect she’s getting paid for ‘Cat/gris and the Big Sky Tournament, probably quite well — that’s a professional. I can agree that she doesn’t sound like a professional announcer. And you voiced my problem with her perfectly. I’d love to go through a Big Sky tournament with her being introduced as a former gris player — and that’s it. Focus on the game in front of her.
What I was going for there is that she isn't a full-time announcer and isn't trying to make a career out of it or advance to a higher-level job like many of the TV and radio announcers are.
Gotcha! Not a career professional. Actually, that is some small comfort. She could be fine at the Big Sky Conference, but some qualified coaching and some red-lining reviews of her on-air work would help.

And, yes, she’s far from the worst if she would just focus. She’s intelligent, well-spoken and knowledgeable. Forget the past. The future is wearing a Bobcat suit.