WBB at um

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: WBB at um

Post by rivercat » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:13 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:09 pm
BTW….do people think the broadcast announcers did a reasonable job of keeping it balanced…or Griz homering prevailed? I’m too biased but I struggle with Redpath….she kinda chokes when she has to say something positive about the Cats.
It was Riley Corcoran, voice of the grizzlies. He's a homer but he is very knowledgeable about MSU athletics. Wasn't too bad.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:18 pm

rivercat wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:13 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
BTW….do people think the broadcast announcers did a reasonable job of keeping it balanced…or Griz homering prevailed? I’m too biased but I struggle with Redpath….she kinda chokes when she has to say something positive about the Cats.
It was Riley Corcoran, voice of the grizzlies. He's a homer but he is very knowledgeable about MSU athletics. Wasn't too bad.
Thanks.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:21 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:18 pm
rivercat wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
Thanks.
Tom Wiley and Krista Redpath were on the MTN broadcast. Their sound wasn't working for the first half. Corcoran was on ESPN+. I think Binford's dominance is getting to Redpath.

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:25 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:21 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
rivercat wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
Thanks.
Tom Wiley and Krista Redpath were on the MTN broadcast. Their sound wasn't working for the first half. Corcoran was on ESPN+. I think Binford's dominance is getting to Redpath.
Lol. 8 out of 9 doesn't sit well with her. Tom Wiley went to school in Bozeman with my son.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:37 pm

rivercat wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
Riley Corcoran is knowledgeable about MSU because he was the Voice of MSU Women’s Basketball for a couple of years.

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:39 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:37 pm
rivercat wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
Riley Corcoran is knowledgeable about MSU because he was the Voice of MSU Women’s Basketball for a couple of years.
I had forgotten that.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:40 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
rivercat wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
Thanks.
Krista is a great friend of mine and a contributor on our radio show weekly for a segment she's spearheaded and driven: around the Big Sky in women's hoops. I can assure you she has massive respect for the Bobcats. She spent 45 minutes with Coach Binford the night before the game and called me gushing about how much respect she had for the program. If you listen to our show, she gives love to MSU and the rest of the league generously.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:40 pm

Precursor: so many complaints about the press conference questions....here's the deal....Montana State has an audio-visual team that runs a complete presser room with audio levels and a switch with a mic for the reporters. I won't go into detail of what UM....but it's not that. Sorry for the questions being...questionable in terms of audio...

aucat

Post by aucat » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:17 am

Anytime you win on the road in Missoula it's a great victory. One the Bobcats can be very proud of!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:13 am

rivercat wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:25 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
rivercat wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
Thanks.
Lol. 8 out of 9 doesn't sit well with her. Tom Wiley went to school in Bozeman with my son.
Redpath has definite issues with the ‘Cat games, but at least she’s totally in agreement on one thing — 8 out of 9 doesn’t sit well with Binford, either. 😂

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:44 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:40 pm

Precursor: so many complaints about the press conference questions....here's the deal....Montana State has an audio-visual team that runs a complete presser room with audio levels and a switch with a mic for the reporters. I won't go into detail of what UM....but it's not that. Sorry for the questions being...questionable in terms of audio...
That is totally unfair and against the basic principles of a fan page, to deflect complaints and answer questions before they can be voiced. Where’s the sport in that? 😂
Last edited by Bobcat4Ever on Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imacat

Post by imacat » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:02 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:44 am
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

That is totally unfair and against the basic principals of a fan page, to deflect complaints and answer questions before they can be voiced. Where’s the sport in that? 😂
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:27 pm

Several players on both sides of the #BigSkyWBB rivalry showdown in Missoula yesterday played in the heated game for the first time.

A pair of Lady Griz shined, yet Montana is still searching. @AndrewH202 has more
https://skylinesportsmt.com/despite-roo ... searching/
Last edited by Colter_Nuanez on Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:29 pm

Yesterday's Montana State win over Montana in #BigSkyWBB seemed like an expectation more than anything else.

@Colter_Nuanez has more.

White, Bad Bear lead Montana State to thorough rivalry victory over Lady Griz
https://skylinesportsmt.com/white-bad-b ... lady-griz/

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:54 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
rivercat wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
Thanks.
Krista is a great friend of mine and a contributor on our radio show weekly for a segment she's spearheaded and driven: around the Big Sky in women's hoops. I can assure you she has massive respect for the Bobcats. She spent 45 minutes with Coach Binford the night before the game and called me gushing about how much respect she had for the program. If you listen to our show, she gives love to MSU and the rest of the league generously.
Broadcasting on TV is hard... Like REALLY HARD... VERY REALLY EXTREMELY HARD... You will never make everyone happy. TRUST ME!!! Most Big time crews are Calling about 3-4 games a week with each other. When it comes to MSU and UM, these people are doing 1-2 games a Month (if you are SWX) and and only home games, so about 4 games a Month (if your school has their own ESPN+ announcers). It takes time and the growing pains hurt as you get use to each other, if there are two people doing the games. I think that Redpath does a good job...

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:54 pm

SACCAT wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:54 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
rivercat wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
Thanks.
Broadcasting on TV is hard... Like REALLY HARD... VERY REALLY EXTREMELY HARD... You will never make everyone happy. TRUST ME!!! Most Big time crews are Calling about 3-4 games a week with each other. When it comes to MSU and UM, these people are doing 1-2 games a Month (if you are SWX) and and only home games, so about 4 games a Month (if your school has their own ESPN+ announcers). It takes time and the growing pains hurt as you get use to each other, if there are two people doing the games. I think that Redpath does a good job...
Redpath has called the Big Sky tournament for several years now and I've always thought she has done a good job. She makes no secret of her past as a former UM player, so some MSU fans are immediately put on edge and go in looking for every comment or perceived slight they can pick apart. She is definitely knowledgeable about the entire league and has good insights on all of the teams.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:41 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:54 pm
SACCAT wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:54 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
rivercat wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
Thanks.
Redpath has called the Big Sky tournament for several years now and I've always thought she has done a good job. She makes no secret of her past as a former UM player, so some MSU fans are immediately put on edge and go in looking for every comment or perceived slight they can pick apart. She is definitely knowledgeable about the entire league and has good insights on all of the teams.
Not everyone who watches these games is looking for a reason to complain about a Griz commentator. I have watched her at the Big Sky tourney and I am not overly impressed with her. She is knowledgeable about the Big Sky as you mention and she certainly keeps up on the Griz. How I look at it is if I am listening to a game hosted by a particular school I expect the announcers to be very knowledgeable about their team and have a somewhat working knowledge of opponent….and certainly to favor their home team during the broadcast…..I really don’t have a problem with that…and I don’t complain about it. But when it’s a broadcast put on by the league or a network I expect the announcers to be studied and objective towards both teams……good and bad…..I know that is hard to do in low budget regions. Redpath doesn’t measure up in my opinion…… if she wants to advance her career up the ladder it’s something she can work on…..an example that I think does it well is Gregoriak. Really enjoyed his broadcasts this year on football…he was brutally honest good and bad about the Cats during games….and was certainly balanced during Cat Griz. An example who does it well at the Big Sky tourney is the former coach from Weber State. Oh well…just an opinion.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:25 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:41 pm
Not everyone who watches these games is looking for a reason to complain about a Griz commentator. I have watched her at the Big Sky tourney and I am not overly impressed with her. She is knowledgeable about the Big Sky as you mention and she certainly keeps up on the Griz. How I look at it is if I am listening to a game hosted by a particular school I expect the announcers to be very knowledgeable about their team and have a somewhat working knowledge of opponent….and certainly to favor their home team during the broadcast…..I really don’t have a problem with that…and I don’t complain about it. But when it’s a broadcast put on by the league or a network I expect the announcers to be studied and objective towards both teams……good and bad…..I know that is hard to do in low budget regions. Redpath doesn’t measure up in my opinion…… if she wants to advance her career up the ladder it’s something she can work on…..an example that I think does it well is Gregoriak. Really enjoyed his broadcasts this year on football…he was brutally honest good and bad about the Cats during games….and was certainly balanced during Cat Griz. An example who does it well at the Big Sky tourney is the former coach from Weber State. Oh well…just an opinion.
I didn't say everyone who watches the games is looking for a reason to complain. Based on what I've read on this forum over the years I stand by my assertion that some are. I suppose it's a fair point to say that the local TV broadcasts shouldn't have anyone directly connected to either school, although they did balance it out somewhat by having MSU's Jeff Riggs on the men's broadcast. Redpath isn't a professional announcer nor do I think she has any desire to be one, but in the decades of watching local TV Cat/Griz broadcasts Redpath is far from being amongst the worst announcers they've used in my opinion. My main issue with her is that she can spend too much time talking about herself and former teammate, old coaches, etc. instead of focusing on the game at hand.

Gregorak did a very good job but I can see away fans being a little irked by some of his more boisterous celebrations when MSU made big plays. Totally agree on Joe Cravens, that guy is great but nobody's going to be able to match that personality unless Bob Green wants to come out of retirement for some color basketball commentary!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:33 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:25 am
I didn't say everyone who watches the games is looking for a reason to complain. Based on what I've read on this forum over the years I stand by my assertion that some are. I suppose it's a fair point to say that the local TV broadcasts shouldn't have anyone directly connected to either school, although they did balance it out somewhat by having MSU's Jeff Riggs on the men's broadcast. Redpath isn't a professional announcer nor do I think she has any desire to be one, but in the decades of watching local TV Cat/Griz broadcasts Redpath is far from being amongst the worst announcers they've used in my opinion. My main issue with her is that she can spend too much time talking about herself and former teammate, old coaches, etc. instead of focusing on the game at hand.

Gregorak did a very good job but I can see away fans being a little irked by some of his more boisterous celebrations when MSU made big plays. Totally agree on Joe Cravens, that guy is great but nobody's going to be able to match that personality unless Bob Green wants to come out of retirement for some color basketball commentary!
This confused me. She’s not a professional announcer, or she doesn’t sound like a professional announcer? I suspect she’s getting paid for ‘Cat/gris and the Big Sky Tournament, probably quite well — that’s a professional. I can agree that she doesn’t sound like a professional announcer. And you voiced my problem with her perfectly. I’d love to go through a Big Sky tournament with her being introduced as a former gris player — and that’s it. Focus on the game in front of her.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:30 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:33 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:25 am

This confused me. She’s not a professional announcer, or she doesn’t sound like a professional announcer? I suspect she’s getting paid for ‘Cat/gris and the Big Sky Tournament, probably quite well — that’s a professional. I can agree that she doesn’t sound like a professional announcer. And you voiced my problem with her perfectly. I’d love to go through a Big Sky tournament with her being introduced as a former gris player — and that’s it. Focus on the game in front of her.
What I was going for there is that she isn't a full-time announcer and isn't trying to make a career out of it or advance to a higher-level job like many of the TV and radio announcers are.