TRANSFERS/RECRUITING

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

TRANSFERS/RECRUITING

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:57 am

Any more ideas if we have anybody else coming in now we have a couple schollies open. Are we better to bring in another high school guy or are we better to get some more transfers? Double edge sword as we don't want to lose any of the remaining youngsters we have, but if they see a guy a year ahead of them until they are seniors are they gonna want to hang around to start until they are a senior? Kids these days wanna play and aren't as willing to sit the bench I don't believe. Also is the bozeman kid going to hang around?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: TRANSFERS/RECRUITING

Post by MSU01 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:55 am

I do believe MSU still has two scholarships open (Reinalda, Tynes, Spears, Fernandez, Gatkuoth outgoing and Brown, Ford, Miller incoming so far). I'd guess we'll see at least one transfer big guy to provide more depth at the 4/5 spot. I feel like Sprinkle would also want to load up on great shooters, although that's of course easier said than done.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sat May 07, 2022 11:37 am

Has it been confirmed how many scholarships are currently available?

Anyone have any insight on potential recruits and/or transfers?

FTG- GO CATS GO!

GrizgradCatFan

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Mon May 09, 2022 10:05 pm

The shiz on the other side of hill lost another player

GrizgradCatFan

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:45 am

Anymore guys we are targeting out there?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:55 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:27 am

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

GrizgradCatFan

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:37 am

Both those guys look good. The second guy looks like he would be fun to watch as he has some hops and looks aggressive. Looks like he has one bigger offer, but hopefully Sprinkle can sell him on Montana.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:54 am

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:08 am

I have had a really busy summer, between work, vaction, catching covid on my vacation and then tring to catch up with work, so there has not been a lot of recruiting info from me. Here is a little

Men:
This has been a VERY slow year for dredging up recruiting news. While I have seen probably 18-24 2023 Griz recruits showing interest, offered or committed this summer the number of Bobcat recruits I have been able to identify could be counted on one hand. Things seem to have picked up some now (a month ago I knew of maybe one). It really seems Sprinkle and Haslam ( I beleive New assistant coach Andy Hill also has some strong international recruiting contacts) are recruiting Europe pretty hard right now. That makes a lot of sence becuase of our recruiting history and the summer tour of Europe. Almost all of the recruits are mobile big men who run the court. There is a 6-6 guard/wing from Barking Abbey, though, I think the Bobcats are really interested in along with a handful of other D-1's. The Bobcats, though only have 2 seniors/scholarship, to offer right now. They may have additional scholarships that open up next spring do to the inevitable transfers, but I would bet they sign a maximum of only 2 scholarships this fall.

Women:
As slow as the recruiting info on men's team is slow this year, the women recruiting news is easily the most rebust I have ever seen it. Binford has at least 1 commit already. They have 3 seniors and one open scholarship to offer. All three seniors will be hard to replace. I have seen about a dozen offeres this summer and with 2 (possibly 3) 2025 (sophomores to be) recruits taking unofficial vists (on the same days) to MSU this summer. All three also attanded camp at MSU. If Binford could land any one of these recruits it would be a HUGE get for the program. As in the past, the Bobcat coaches are recruiting sophome and junior classes very hard. I would say over 1/2 of the recruits I have heard of since June have all been for the 2024 and 2025 recruiting class. In the last couple weeks, they also seem have offered a couple Swedish prospects. Over all they seem to be casting a pretty wide net in terms of possition. If anything they seem to be looking a little at point guards and the 6-1- to 6-2 bigs that can run the floor types that Binford loves so much.

If I get a little more time I will post a list later. You can also check out my Twitter Feed for the majority of the recruits.

duelalumnicat

Post by duelalumnicat » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:58 pm

As always, mslacat, thank you for your information and insights.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:09 pm

On the women's side, I am selfishly hoping that Darian and Kola take advantage of the COVID year and come back for '23-'24! What an experienced and talent-laden team that could be.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:14 am

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:09 pm
On the women's side, I am selfishly hoping that Darian and Kola take advantage of the COVID year and come back for '23-'24! What an experienced and talent-laden team that could be.
So true...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:17 pm

RickRund wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:14 am
MSU01 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:09 pm
So true...
Yep that would be outstanding! And I would take Madison Jackson back in a heart beat too. Talk about someone with “hop” …energy…and positive spirit that would be Maddie.

Some forget that Maddie was an Idaho track champion in hurdles and high jump as well as great basketball recruit. She has missed a lot of playing time…as a sophomore….as she said herself in one interview “Covid really kicked my butt” as her time to recover from Covid in the middle of season hurt. Last year she started out with a hand injury and lost playing time. Both as a sophomore and Junior she shot over 40% from the arc but didn’t see the court enough minutes to be a major contributor. But she is a good person to bring off the bench for a quick burst of energy on the court! Great kid to be around…one of those people that gives you positive “energy” just visiting with her! But she is engaged so that might put a damper on another year of participation for her!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:14 pm

GrizgradCatFan

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:59 pm

any news on recruiting?

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:22 pm

mslacat wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:08 am
I have had a really busy summer, between work, vaction, catching covid on my vacation and then tring to catch up with work, so there has not been a lot of recruiting info from me. Here is a little

Men:
This has been a VERY slow year for dredging up recruiting news. While I have seen probably 18-24 2023 Griz recruits showing interest, offered or committed this summer the number of Bobcat recruits I have been able to identify could be counted on one hand. Things seem to have picked up some now (a month ago I knew of maybe one). It really seems Sprinkle and Haslam ( I beleive New assistant coach Andy Hill also has some strong international recruiting contacts) are recruiting Europe pretty hard right now. That makes a lot of sence becuase of our recruiting history and the summer tour of Europe. Almost all of the recruits are mobile big men who run the court. There is a 6-6 guard/wing from Barking Abbey, though, I think the Bobcats are really interested in along with a handful of other D-1's. The Bobcats, though only have 2 seniors/scholarship, to offer right now. They may have additional scholarships that open up next spring do to the inevitable transfers, but I would bet they sign a maximum of only 2 scholarships this fall.

Women:
As slow as the recruiting info on men's team is slow this year, the women recruiting news is easily the most rebust I have ever seen it. Binford has at least 1 commit already. They have 3 seniors and one open scholarship to offer. All three seniors will be hard to replace. I have seen about a dozen offeres this summer and with 2 (possibly 3) 2025 (sophomores to be) recruits taking unofficial vists (on the same days) to MSU this summer. All three also attanded camp at MSU. If Binford could land any one of these recruits it would be a HUGE get for the program. As in the past, the Bobcat coaches are recruiting sophome and junior classes very hard. I would say over 1/2 of the recruits I have heard of since June have all been for the 2024 and 2025 recruiting class. In the last couple weeks, they also seem have offered a couple Swedish prospects. Over all they seem to be casting a pretty wide net in terms of possition. If anything they seem to be looking a little at point guards and the 6-1- to 6-2 bigs that can run the floor types that Binford loves so much.

If I get a little more time I will post a list later. You can also check out my Twitter Feed for the majority of the recruits.
I fear the day of recruiting even a really good MT kid is gone. Especially in Men's basketball. Sad, but true fact.Not that our state is loaded with talent, but it is getting harder because of the foreign push.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:33 am

superbobcat wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:22 pm
mslacat wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:08 am

Men:

Women:

I fear the day of recruiting even a really good MT kid is gone. Especially in Men's basketball. Sad, but true fact.Not that our state is loaded with talent, but it is getting harder because of the foreign push.
There was a time when every MSU and UM head basketball coach's first line in their mission statement was to sign the best Montana athlete every year. Back then there was up 3 or 4 D-1 prospects and always at least one high school basketball player who signed. 90% of the time they would sign with MSU and/or UM. The majority of these players would move on to be All Big Sky players caliber. Back then D-1 schools had fifteen scholarships. In high schools’ basketball was on par with football in popularity. Montana kids were not involved in AAU national scene and as such rarely recruited outside the Big Sky. Today D-1 programs have only thirteen scholarships and some of the best athletes are choosing to football (or other sports). Additionally, there are no hidden/secret/underrecruited players hiding in Montana. If they have talent D-1 schools will find you (unless you are Native American) and the competition for players (not to mention players not satisfied for playing in state) has sky-rocketed (if they have the talent).

There simply are not as many D-1 caliber players in Montana as there used to be and those who are of that level are being much more heavily recruited by schools from around the nation. What I will say now, though is that Montana is producing some high-level D-1 talent BUT it is a once in every 3-5 years event. Most do not sign in state.

Now that said. I will agree most of the D-1 coaches at MSU and UM would seem to want to give the benefit of the doubt to out of state players then Montana players. I know of two Montana players from my neck of the woods in Montana over the past fifteen or so years, who coming into their senior years were very well known but had no D-1 offers. These were kids who went to both schools’ camps and starred. Both extremely interested in MSU. I personally mentioned both to the head coaches at the time and the answer I got was basically "If they are that good why doesn't UM sign them.” Both eventually were offered by UM, extremely late (April-May of their senior year) They both immediately committed and signed (their only D-1 offers) and eventually turned into starters. I would need to check but at least one was all conference multiple years. I do agree with you, in that Montana D-1 Coaches have a history over the past 10 years of overlooking in state talent. Fortunately for some athletes when one coach ignores another might not. Brian Fish wanted nothing to do with recruiting Montana. The fact remains, that Montana is producing a fraction of the D-1 basketball talent it once was, so in many coaches minds it is: do I want to play with Montana players, or do I want to win!

A similar thing is happening with high school girl athletes. The difference is where there were once 5-6 players signing each year there is now only 1-2

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:43 am

Luke Mceldon a 6-11 very mobile forward / center who was on the MSU campus for the Gold Rush football game will be making his decision on where he will be playiing in college tonight. He took visits to MSU, Brown, Santa Clara and U Mass the past few weeks. He has been a players who has seen his recruitment really take off over the last couple of months and has seen many schools trying to get in on him lately. He would be an instant contributer for the Bobcats. He has 20 offers. Below is a link to his Verbal Commits page and I tweet he made after his Montana State visit.

https://twitter.com/luke_mceldon/status ... 49/photo/1

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/luke-mceldon

duelalumnicat

Post by duelalumnicat » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:35 pm

Luke McEldon committed to Santa Clara.

I think that the fact that MSU was even in the running with a high mid-major like Santa Clara is a clear statement on the quality of the program that Coach Sprinkle is building at MSU.