Asst. Coaches

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Asst. Coaches

Post by Ilikecats » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:57 pm

Disappointing to hear we’re losing Asst. Coaches because they can’t afford to live in Bozeman with their current compensation. I know we can’t pay everyone, but this is going to have an impact on the program long term. I’m hearing rumors of coaches in both hoops programs are leaving. I’m happy to see that we retained Coach Sprinkle and Binford, but let’s face it, the heavy lifting is being done by the Asst. Coaches…….

Any idea of what we can do to retain coaches? Heard of one today that I didn’t expect.

coloradocat
Member # Retired

Re: Asst. Coaches

Post by coloradocat » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:39 pm

I know we can’t pay everyone
I'd like someone to explain this. Why can't we pay everyone? I understand that is the official line but it would be great if the reasons for that were explicitly stated by Waded/Leon. It's long been university policy to institute a "living in Bozeman" discount to salaries but it's time to flip that and create a "living in Bozeman" premium. Employees, both athletics and academics, should be making above average compared to our peers, not less.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

tetoncat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tetoncat » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:27 pm

Has it been confirmed that is why they are leaving. We lost assistants in past, before housing got so high. Most comments were with successful programs it was hard to keep up and comers. We have strong programs, but sometimes assistants want to learn under others as well to help them move up.

Sports is not bigger than life

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:45 pm

Ilikecats wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:57 pm
Disappointing to hear we’re losing Asst. Coaches because they can’t afford to live in Bozeman with their current compensation. I know we can’t pay everyone, but this is going to have an impact on the program long term. I’m hearing rumors of coaches in both hoops programs are leaving. I’m happy to see that we retained Coach Sprinkle and Binford, but let’s face it, the heavy lifting is being done by the Asst. Coaches…….

Any idea of what we can do to retain coaches? Heard of one today that I didn’t expect.
Must be Haslam on the men's side because they've already lost the other two assistants this off-season! Frequent turnover of assistant coaches is just a fact of life in Division 1 Athletics, and many young assistants will jump at any opportunity to move up the coaching ladder towards the ultimate goal of a head coaching job. My guess is that Bozeman's cost of living plays much less of a role in most of these moves than most of us assume.

Go Bobcats!

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:33 pm

We lost another woman’s coach according to a letter we received from the team.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:40 pm

I know it's easy to point the finger at the cost of living but at this point it's all just speculation. Like others have said, coaching carousels at our level of athletics is pretty common.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:07 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."