Asst. Coaches

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Asst. Coaches

Post by Ilikecats » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:57 pm

Disappointing to hear we’re losing Asst. Coaches because they can’t afford to live in Bozeman with their current compensation. I know we can’t pay everyone, but this is going to have an impact on the program long term. I’m hearing rumors of coaches in both hoops programs are leaving. I’m happy to see that we retained Coach Sprinkle and Binford, but let’s face it, the heavy lifting is being done by the Asst. Coaches…….

Any idea of what we can do to retain coaches? Heard of one today that I didn’t expect.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Asst. Coaches

Post by coloradocat » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:39 pm

I know we can’t pay everyone
I'd like someone to explain this. Why can't we pay everyone? I understand that is the official line but it would be great if the reasons for that were explicitly stated by Waded/Leon. It's long been university policy to institute a "living in Bozeman" discount to salaries but it's time to flip that and create a "living in Bozeman" premium. Employees, both athletics and academics, should be making above average compared to our peers, not less.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:27 pm

Has it been confirmed that is why they are leaving. We lost assistants in past, before housing got so high. Most comments were with successful programs it was hard to keep up and comers. We have strong programs, but sometimes assistants want to learn under others as well to help them move up.

Sports is not bigger than life

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:45 pm

Ilikecats wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:57 pm
Disappointing to hear we’re losing Asst. Coaches because they can’t afford to live in Bozeman with their current compensation. I know we can’t pay everyone, but this is going to have an impact on the program long term. I’m hearing rumors of coaches in both hoops programs are leaving. I’m happy to see that we retained Coach Sprinkle and Binford, but let’s face it, the heavy lifting is being done by the Asst. Coaches…….

Any idea of what we can do to retain coaches? Heard of one today that I didn’t expect.
Must be Haslam on the men's side because they've already lost the other two assistants this off-season! Frequent turnover of assistant coaches is just a fact of life in Division 1 Athletics, and many young assistants will jump at any opportunity to move up the coaching ladder towards the ultimate goal of a head coaching job. My guess is that Bozeman's cost of living plays much less of a role in most of these moves than most of us assume.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:33 pm

We lost another woman’s coach according to a letter we received from the team.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:40 pm

I know it's easy to point the finger at the cost of living but at this point it's all just speculation. Like others have said, coaching carousels at our level of athletics is pretty common.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:07 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:09 pm

Catlady wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:33 pm
Blaire Braxton has removed references to being an MSU assistant from her Twitter bio. I have no inside info but sure looks like she's the one leaving.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:03 am

Disappointing! That’s a lost for the team, University and the Bozeman community. Did she take another position?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:39 am

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:09 pm
Catlady wrote:
Blaire Braxton has removed references to being an MSU assistant from her Twitter bio. I have no inside info but sure looks like she's the one leaving.
MSU mentioned this a few weeks ago. She is headed back home to Colorado.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:23 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:39 am
MSU01 wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:09 pm
Catlady wrote:
MSU mentioned this a few weeks ago. She is headed back home to Colorado.
AFCAT is right…pursuing a new adventure back in her home state. It was unclear exactly what she was going to be doing but was not going to be in coaching. Sad thing is that she is a loss to the community and her behind the scenes leadership is oft unrecognized. I was hoping with her Business Management degree she would find something locally to get her to stay in the area. Wish her the best on her new life path.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:12 pm

https://twitter.com/MSUBobcatsWBB/statu ... NsstGdNofA
SUNNY SMALLWOOD - MONTANA STATE

On June 29, 2018, Sunny Smallwood was named Montana State's Associate Head Coach. Smallwood, regarded as one of the top assistant coaches in NCAA Division I basketball, spent the previous two seasons as associate head coach at the University of Arizona. Additionally, the 30-year veteran has held assistant head coaching positions at Nebraska, California, and Boise State. Smallwood also worked as an assistant at the University of Washington and Washington State University. According to ProspectsNation.com, Smallwood helped the Wildcats land the nation's fourth best recruiting class and the top haul in the Pac 12 in her second season at Arizona. It was Arizona's highest-ranked class in history, highlighted by McDonald's All-American Cate Reese, who is regarded as one of the top five incoming post players in the country.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act