CAT gris WBB

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CatRowdy
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: CAT gris WBB

Post by CatRowdy » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:55 pm

Let's not forget this game is the end of four in a row for the Cats! Strong strong finish! Depth on the bench really adds to the ability to close out games! These girls are meshed and locked in to winning games!
NAU fought like hell and tonight the Griz had something to prove, neither team were able to beat the CAT's tenacity!
February 17th at noon starts MSU giving day; show your support to the Lady Bobcats by donating to the FASTBREAK Club. All the money goes to the woman's program providing needed funds for medical equipment, summer scholarships, cost of attendance, and equipment not provide by the university. These women have earned our support!

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:57 pm

wapiti wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:09 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:05 pm
wapiti wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:59 pm
Chris Byers said during the first quarter that the griz are the better team.

I say the better team won the game and it wasn't close.
Did he own it in the fourth quarter? Or did he say the game was a fluke?
Just let him continue that talk. He is knocking on the wood for the griz. He will cry himself to sleep tonight.
Chris is a great guy. He's no griz lover. I worked Cat football games with him back in the early 90's on KUSM. I've ran into him over the years. Straight up good dude. Lady griz have been playing well. Tonight they got worked. Someday those Malta girls will stop going to Missoula. GO CATS!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:26 am

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:31 am

PHAT CAT wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:57 pm
wapiti wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
wapiti wrote:

Just let him continue that talk. He is knocking on the wood for the griz. He will cry himself to sleep tonight.
Chris is a great guy. He's no griz lover. I worked Cat football games with him back in the early 90's on KUSM. I've ran into him over the years. Straight up good dude. Lady griz have been playing well. Tonight they got worked. Someday those Malta girls will stop going to Missoula. GO CATS!
I totally agree that Byers is a good guy. I don’t like him as a play by play announcer. He definitely has a gris bias.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:48 am

‘Cats made pemmican out of gris bear meat. Nice work. I love it. 💙 💛 😺 🏀

alleycat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by alleycat » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:03 am

Nice game Cats!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:43 am

We are so lucky to have trish. Amazing to think how far she brought this program.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:06 am

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:43 am
We are so lucky to have trish. Amazing to think how far she brought this program.
At some point you have to start comparing what Coach Binford has done for MSU with what Robin Selvig did at UM during his lengthy career there. Obviously the overall level of competition is much higher now than it was in the '80s and '90s when UM was dominating the Big Sky, but the parallels are certainly there if Binford decides she wants to stick around for a while and not risk chasing a job at a bigger school.

Bocephus

Post by Bocephus » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:36 am

rivercat wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:04 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:59 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:47 pm
Another was to first place ISU on the road by 10.
Without Darian White in that one.

Not a surprise we won. Huge surprise that won that easily. Balance and depth-that's what this team has...and Darian White-who didn't have her best game, but she was still awesome. Sophia Stiles is a really good player and she's had a nice career over there-and a legendary high school career. But Darian White just eats her alive. It's just a tough matchup for them.

Taylor Janssen has killed the gris before too. She hit a bunch of threes up in Missoula a couple of years ago. She is really blossoming this conference season. The only place we struggled was Kola Bad Bear inside a little bit. They're pretty long and it bothered her somewhat. Mocchi moved some people around though.

Funny-we were switching on their screens and Darian was caught guarding Gfeller sometimes. It wasn't disastrous though and they never got going from outside until garbage time.

That was fun. This team's got some swagger and they're playing with great spirit right now.
When I first saw that happening, I thought this could be bad. But after the switch, the gris guards couldn't find a way around our bigs to get a pass into Anderson or Geller. Great defense on the perimeter by Kola, Taylor and Mocchi.

I only caught the second half, but the Cats were in a 2-3 zone. Were they playing man in the first half? Seemed like the gris really had trouble with the 2-3.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:50 am

I was worried about this game - haven't paid as much attention to the either basketball team this year mainly due to football going so long but it seemed like maybe the Cats were having a down year and the gris were getting back on track. Awesome win!

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:37 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:22 pm
Does the feed suck for everyone else too?
Glad to know it wasn't just me. I thought it was my internet.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

aucat

Post by aucat » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:51 am

Based on the results to date I thought we could win but never expected the Lady Cats to DOMINATE the lady griz. I agree with the poster who said if we had not missed a bunch of bunnies and put backs, it would've been a 30 point win.

It was a Monday night and snow was falling and the roads were icy, yet we had 2300 LOUD fans on hand. It was a beatdown.
Congratulations to all the players and coaches for such a stellar performance. And congrats to the fans who came out. Ditto to the students who packed the end zone. And the always great MSU band. Proud to be a Bobcat!!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:10 am

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:50 am
I was worried about this game - haven't paid as much attention to the either basketball team this year mainly due to football going so long but it seemed like maybe the Cats were having a down year and the gris were getting back on track. Awesome win!
That's exactly what it did seem like until the Cats just rolled through their 4-game home win streak including three quality opponents in Idaho, NAU, and UM. Now to see if they can keep it up on the road-heavy back half of the conference schedule.

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:28 am

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:10 am
CelticCat wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:50 am
That's exactly what it did seem like until the Cats just rolled through their 4-game home win streak including three quality opponents in Idaho, NAU, and UM. Now to see if they can keep it up on the road-heavy back half of the conference schedule.
The team I watched this past week is what I expected to see this year. They have had the talent, but just weren't playing to their potential. They seemed to be meshing and playing with a lot of effort and confidence now. I expect this team to continue to improve and be playing ISU in the BSC championship game. I'm sure they expect the same.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:13 pm

aucat wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:51 am
Based on the results to date I thought we could win but never expected the Lady Cats to DOMINATE the lady griz. I agree with the poster who said if we had not missed a bunch of bunnies and put backs, it would've been a 30 point win.

It was a Monday night and snow was falling and the roads were icy, yet we had 2300 LOUD fans on hand. It was a beatdown.
Congratulations to all the players and coaches for such a stellar performance. And congrats to the fans who came out. Ditto to the students who packed the end zone. And the always great MSU band. Proud to be a Bobcat!!
And this is exactly why I made my earlier argument, that it’s really, really poor scheduling to play any ‘Cat/gris while school is between sessions. Compare this to the men’s game atmosphere as was reported a few weeks ago.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:29 pm

aucat wrote:

I was wondering what may have kept some fans away. Still decent attendance.

Looking at other games and I think Sac had the next best draw at roughly 350. One venue was I think 102...

Yes, a great game for the LADIES... Did a good job against a good opponent.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

aucat

Post by aucat » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:48 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:06 am
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:43 am
At some point you have to start comparing what Coach Binford has done for MSU with what Robin Selvig did at UM during his lengthy career there. Obviously the overall level of competition is much higher now than it was in the '80s and '90s when UM was dominating the Big Sky, but the parallels are certainly there if Binford decides she wants to stick around for a while and not risk chasing a job at a bigger school.
Last night when I got home from the game I decided to watch some of the replay on TV since I had set my DVR recorder (It was on CWX, channel 199 on Spectrum.) One of the announcers was Krista Redpath, who as most people know was a star for the Lady Griz and was even considered for the head coaching job at UM. Despite Krista's obvious bias, I think she tries to be professionally objective during her telecasts. There is no question that Robin Selvig was a legendary coach at UM and he dominated the Big Sky. HOWEVER, Krista made a key point last night during her comments. When she played for the Lady Griz, and all during the time Selvig was at UM, the WINNER of the regular season got to HOST the Big Sky conference tournament. AND NOT ALL TEAMS GOT TO GO, only the top SIX. Plus I think the top two teams had a bye. So win two games, AT HOME IN FRONT OF A RAUCOUS CROWD, and you are the tournament champ and get to represent the Big Sky in the NCAA Dance. This was a HUGE advantage to Selvig and UM that Coach Binford and MSU doesn't have.

I understand the need to have a neutral site for the Big Sky Tournament, but a KEY POINT that Krista made last night: Formerly, by REWARDING the regular season champ with hosting the tournament, you had a better chance that THE BEST TEAM IN THE CONFERENCE would end up representing the Big Sky in the NCAAs. With a neutral site, it is easier for the regular season champ to get upset by some lower seed that might have a hot night. So you very well might end up sending a team to the NCAAs which is definitely NOT the overall best team in the conference.

I truly, truly wish that there was a viable way to return to the REWARDING of the regular season champ with hosting the tournament, but with the great difference in arenas as well as the difficulty in last minute travel arrangements, it will never happen. So yes, Robin Selvig had a great run at UM. Those were golden years for him and UM. He certainly took advantage of hosting the tournament many times in Missoula.
Last edited by aucat on Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:49 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
wapiti wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
wapiti wrote:

There's a sophomore in Saco (North Country) that we HAVE to get. Coach's kid and she can already dunk!!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:52 pm

aucat wrote:

Really good student turnout and excitement, And our band is HUGE!!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:39 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:49 pm
PHAT CAT wrote:
wapiti wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
wapiti wrote:

There's a sophomore in Saco (North Country) that we HAVE to get. Coach's kid and she can already dunk!!
Good grief! Hopefully she is a smart girl who wouldn’t consider going to a school where they spell out gris.