Modern attendance is a gut shot

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

DMMDCats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Modern attendance is a gut shot

Post by DMMDCats » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:25 pm

I found Coach Sprinkle’s comment about lack of athletics dept assistance in promoting the program was telling.

This was during the sixth man chat Monday.

Same ol different day at fieldsville.

Or a misinterpretation?

Did anyone else catch that comment?

Have a wonderful day!!

RICO CAT
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by RICO CAT » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:19 pm

DMMDCats wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:25 pm
I found Coach Sprinkle’s comment about lack of athletics dept assistance in promoting the program was telling.

Or a misinterpretation?

I wonder if the basketball program has a booster club similar to the BQC?

“OVER THEM MOUNTAINS”

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:01 pm

RICO CAT wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:19 pm
DMMDCats wrote:

Or a misinterpretation?

I wonder if the basketball program has a booster club similar to the BQC?
Yes. For MBB it is 6th Man Club and WBB it is Fast Break Club. Join up and help support the men and women BB programs.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:31 am

The 1976 team I know for sure practiced in the Fieldhouse during the playoffs, but it was easier then because it still had a dirt, dust, and cowpie floor. The roof at 90 feet high at the crown, but with lots of other stuff now hanging down, was not high enough for punting. It’s only 300 feet across so a field with end zones is out of the question. That was a very good idea, though, @Cats15.
Last edited by Bobcat4Ever on Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:34 am

DMMDCats wrote:

Or a misinterpretation?

I didn’t hear it, but man, oh man, that’s been a story since Noah’s ark was a dinghy. Sprinkle isn’t one to go to sleep on something like that. I’d suggest listening to the man while he’s still ours.

aucat

Post by aucat » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:18 am

One thing that doesn't help is the terrible coverage of Bobcat basketball by the media. I remember when Ted Dawson was at KBZK. The guy was at EVERY home game with his camera and he ALWAYS had coverage of both the men's and women's games. I don't know what trouble KBZK is having these days. They have lost some really good people lately and on many evenings you would NEVER KNOW that the Bobcats were playing basketball at home.

The NBC affiliate, which usually has more info on Western MT and Missoula, has actually been doing much better with their coverage of the Cats. So I don't know how much sway MSU has in encouraging them to do a better job but something needs to change.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:44 pm

aucat wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:18 am
One thing that doesn't help is the terrible coverage of Bobcat basketball by the media. I remember when Ted Dawson was at KBZK. The guy was at EVERY home game with his camera and he ALWAYS had coverage of both the men's and women's games. I don't know what trouble KBZK is having these days. They have lost some really good people lately and on many evenings you would NEVER KNOW that the Bobcats were playing basketball at home.

The NBC affiliate, which usually has more info on Western MT and Missoula, has actually been doing much better with their coverage of the Cats. So I don't know how much sway MSU has in encouraging them to do a better job but something needs to change.
I never could understand the criticism of Ted. Now I guess young people don’t go to the games, so they aren’t interested in reporting on them.

Cats15

Post by Cats15 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:15 pm

Not having good coverage on the nightly news is not why students aren't showing up. 50+ crowd maybe, but not the students ;)

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:53 pm

We've discussed this a lot over the years but I think our two basketball teams just emphatically answered the question of how to get students & fans excited about coming to MSU basketball games again.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:12 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:53 pm
We've discussed this a lot over the years but I think our two basketball teams just emphatically answered the question of how to get students & fans excited about coming to MSU basketball games again.
It’s never changed and never will. Winning cures all.

FYI
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FYI » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:18 pm

The Bobcats have been mediocre for the past many years. On a personal note most recently, I had a hard time even on TV watching coach Fish chasing up and down the sideline distracting his players on the floor. He even distracted me.
Nearly everywhere you look winners collect "bandwagoneers" who build the attendance. Bandwagoneers love to hang out with winners..be a part of the scene. When winning stops they slowly fade away and attendance returns to the "base"...the real fans. Weber State has been winning basketball games for a long time and are still drawing nearly 8,000 per game...among the top 100 in the nation. When the Cats keep winning the "special fans" will return.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:43 pm

On the attendance note-I've gone to 3 of the 4 tournaments in Boise (missed last year). I felt like the last few sessions, including the women's final and the men's final had the best attendances I've seen there. They did a smart thing in keeping the endzone bleachers folded on one end which helped compact the crowd. Both sessions I mentioned were mostly Bobcat fans. NAU and UNC didn't have a lot of fans. But I think there may have been more Boise locals in attendance. In any case, it felt like a mini-Frisco with so many Bobcat fans in the arena and all around Downtown Boise. In watching the men's replay I thought it looked really good on TV-best its looked of any of the neutral site tournaments in my opinion. Edit: I see the listed attendance for the men's final was 4,134.

I think the upward trend for Bobcat basketball attendance will continue next season as both teams will be very good.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:05 pm

FYI wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:18 pm
The Bobcats have been mediocre for the past many years. On a personal note most recently, I had a hard time even on TV watching coach Fish chasing up and down the sideline distracting his players on the floor. He even distracted me.
Nearly everywhere you look winners collect "bandwagoneers" who build the attendance. Bandwagoneers love to hang out with winners..be a part of the scene. When winning stops they slowly fade away and attendance returns to the "base"...the real fans. Weber State has been winning basketball games for a long time and are still drawing nearly 8,000 per game...among the top 100 in the nation. When the Cats keep winning the "special fans" will return.
Don’t disagree with your premise of winning brings fans. Not sure where you are getting your number though as Weber was not even close to 8,000 per game. They averaged 4,512 to come in just outside the top 100 in DI at 101.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

FYI
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FYI » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:02 am

kmax wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:05 pm
FYI wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:18 pm
Don’t disagree with your premise of winning brings fans. Not sure where you are getting your number though as Weber was not even close to 8,000 per game. They averaged 4,512 to come in just outside the top 100 in DI at 101.
You are right sir, I stand corrected! :bag:

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:37 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:43 pm
On the attendance note-I've gone to 3 of the 4 tournaments in Boise (missed last year). I felt like the last few sessions, including the women's final and the men's final had the best attendances I've seen there. They did a smart thing in keeping the endzone bleachers folded on one end which helped compact the crowd. Both sessions I mentioned were mostly Bobcat fans. NAU and UNC didn't have a lot of fans. But I think there may have been more Boise locals in attendance. In any case, it felt like a mini-Frisco with so many Bobcat fans in the arena and all around Downtown Boise. In watching the men's replay I thought it looked really good on TV-best its looked of any of the neutral site tournaments in my opinion. Edit: I see the listed attendance for the men's final was 4,134.

I think the upward trend for Bobcat basketball attendance will continue next season as both teams will be very good.
I have been to the last 4 (even Covid year) and concur. I seem to remember one championship game with one of Idaho teams that might have had as many or more in attendance but not sure (fading memory) …….but this tourney was clearly a great representation for MSU fans. Friends were texting me and it was hard to say but I threw out the number that 75% of the audience were probably Bobcat fans….just an eyeball estimate.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:18 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:37 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:43 pm

I have been to the last 4 (even Covid year) and concur. I seem to remember one championship game with one of Idaho teams that might have had as many or more in attendance but not sure (fading memory) …….but this tourney was clearly a great representation for MSU fans. Friends were texting me and it was hard to say but I threw out the number that 75% of the audience were probably Bobcat fans….just an eyeball estimate.
NCU's coach had a comment the night before the championship game that he told his players their game against the Cats was basically a road game because "the Cats have a million fans here". :lol:

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:30 pm

The 2019 final between EWU and the gris in Boise drew 3,737. The previous men's final in Reno only had 1,378.

If we ever get a final between the Cats and the gris it'll be a pretty big crowd. Also if a final ever involved a Montana school and an Idaho school it would do pretty well.
I thought PSU and EWU brought a pretty good number of fans considering their fan bases are very small to begin with. Weber's crowd was a little disappointing. I don't think their fans had a lot of belief in their team after SUU ran them out of their own gym in the regular season finale.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:49 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:30 pm
The 2019 final between EWU and the gris in Boise drew 3,737. The previous men's final in Reno only had 1,378.

If we ever get a final between the Cats and the gris it'll be a pretty big crowd. Also if a final ever involved a Montana school and an Idaho school it would do pretty well.
I thought PSU and EWU brought a pretty good number of fans considering their fan bases are very small to begin with. Weber's crowd was a little disappointing. I don't think their fans had a lot of belief in their team after SUU ran them out of their own gym in the regular season finale.
I was surprised at the small Weber crowd too…..