Question about Covid Protocols?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Question about Covid Protocols?

Post by aucat » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:44 pm

I am really confused about the big rash of postponed games in the Big Sky. The reason I say that is because this last week I have watched several SEC games. The arenas were jam packed with fans. I didn't see much mask wearing by players or coaches on the benches. Yet NO GAMES HAVE BEEN POSTPONED IN THE SEC. I found this recent article that addressed Covid protocol for college NCAA basketball and it seems pretty strong. I will post it below.

So what are we doing wrong in the Big Sky?

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... 072288002/

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Question about Covid Protocols?

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:21 pm

I think it’s regional. The Northern (cold) states have seen rising rates since the holidays.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:55 pm

Yes, noticed this week was pretty bad...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:05 pm

aucat wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:44 pm
I am really confused about the big rash of postponed games in the Big Sky. The reason I say that is because this last week I have watched several SEC games. The arenas were jam packed with fans. I didn't see much mask wearing by players or coaches on the benches. Yet NO GAMES HAVE BEEN POSTPONED IN THE SEC. I found this recent article that addressed Covid protocol for college NCAA basketball and it seems pretty strong. I will post it below.

So what are we doing wrong in the Big Sky?

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... 072288002/
It’s not true that SEC games have not been impacted. Florida, Ole Miss, and One other (skips my mind) all had mens games canceled over the Christmas break.

Read the recent article below stating that 140 D-1 men’s BB programs have been impacted with 220 games canceled. A long list of schools that have put a “pause” in BB and I quickly scanned and observed a couple SEC names. But if you look at the list you see a list including many areas of the country. Guess my point is that this is not just a Big Sky thing.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... sed-teams/

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:57 pm

Just did a quick scan and the following SEC schools have had BB games canceled and rescheduled due to Covid either on the men or women (or both) side.

Florida, Ole Miss, Miss State, South Carolina, Tennessee, Missouri, Kentucky, Auburn

It does “seem” those games were canceled earlier in season (most of them anyway) which kinda reflects that we are spiking the latest variant outbreak a bit later.

Just an observation…..

One note for those not aware is that you are required to play if you have 7 scholarship athletes available to play (plus a coach) or you forfeit the game. In the case of MSU, I know one of the ladies that had a positive test and obviously had to quarantine but since she had two fellow players in the condo, they are also required to quarantine 5 days…in effect one case took out 3 players….and if others are considered having “close contact” they are required to quarantine also. So unless the kids are all in separate living facilities one or two separate positive tests can take out a number of players. Fortunately Montana is following the latest CDC guidelines of only 5 days quarantine then retest ……schools like UConn have been hurt worse because Connecticut still requires the 10 days quarantine.