MBB @ UNC

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BStinsMSU
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: MBB @ UNC

Post by BStinsMSU » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:48 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:23 pm
BStinsMSU wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:11 pm
Also, these announcers are atrocious. Maybe it’s a stupid pet peeve but I can’t stand when dudes can’t even keep track of what player is on what team. Apparently Belo just blocked Nick G on that layup
Do you know who that play by play guys is, Jason Alvine, former Bobcat announcer.
If I’m being honest he caught the brunt of me being pissed off with the overtime. I think it was fine. Couple of weird disagreements with calls but whatever. I’m just upset

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

msu_agfan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:48 pm

msu_agfan wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:25 pm
ESPN says we only have a 35% chance to win... let's prove em wrong Bobcats!
Apparently ESPN gave UNC the nod before tipoff... so they cant be that much of a slouch team.. hope we.can get a split this week with a win on Saturday...

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:53 pm

BStinsMSU wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:48 pm
AFCAT wrote:
BStinsMSU wrote:
Also, these announcers are atrocious. Maybe it’s a stupid pet peeve but I can’t stand when dudes can’t even keep track of what player is on what team. Apparently Belo just blocked Nick G on that layup
Do you know who that play by play guys is, Jason Alvine, former Bobcat announcer.
If I’m being honest he caught the brunt of me being pissed off with the overtime. I think it was fine. Couple of weird disagreements with calls but whatever. I’m just upset
Yeah, sucks hearing him being excited when some other team wins.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:53 pm

BStinsMSU wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BStinsMSU wrote:
I thought he was spot on with the calls he questioned (in a very professional way compared to some announcers, too). The third foul on Bodie Hume was non-existent and there was a charge called against UNC early in the second half that was quite a headscratcher as neither MSU defender was anywhere near set.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:55 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:47 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:28 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:19 pm
MSU01 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:09 pm
Amazing that the Cats just can’t seem to get over the hump.
How so? They had a pretty damn successful 2020-21 season including a road sweep of UNC and trip to the Big Sky title game. They're going to win a lot of games this year. Road games against top half conference opponents are tough.
You have to win road games too if you want to be the best. The 2021 tourney was great, but the regular season was really hit and miss. The Cats lost to the worst team in the league in Idaho and gave them their only win of the season.. Beat the number one team in the tourney and lost to the worst team in the league during the regular season. That’s not what great teams do.

UNC is not a top tier Big Sky team. I’m tired of hovering around 500 every year and losing games they should win.
You're going to be waiting a very long time for a team in any sport that never loses games they "should win". The good news is they'll also win some that they "should lose", such as the Big Sky semifinals last year. UNC may not be a top tier Big Sky team but they've got a lot of experienced Senior talent just like MSU, and were picked to finish in the top half of the conference just like I said. MSU will not be the only good Big Sky team to lose in Greeley this year.
Never said they wouldn’t lose some road games, but they need to win these type of games if they want to be elite in the conference. I want the Cats to be the best, it’s been way too long since they have been. There is no reason we have to settle for 500 every year.
Well sure, I want to see MSU be elite again too. It'll take Sprinkle more than three years though, especially given the very strong programs elsewhere in the conference they'll not just have to catch up to but surpass in order to get there.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:09 am

This team can be pretty dang frustrating.

It’s early in the season so a lot can change. But something seems to be missing... Team chemistry a little off? Bad coaching or game planning? I don’t know what it is, but something is not being maximized or needs to be corrected.

This team is absolutely loaded with talent. It seems like everyone is a 7th year senior, with a ton of depth.

I am still very optimistic about the season, and think we will have a good shot at the conference title. But at this point it doesn’t seem like they are “clicking on all cylinders”.

Again, if they CAN figure out how to put it all together, the sky is the limit for this team.

Go cats!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:45 am

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:22 pm
BStinsMSU wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:04 pm
I love Sprinkle but what the hell man… get your team together. No TO and not even bothering to set up anything on offense. This is a piss poor way to start conference play
I am 99% certain that calling a timeout does not allow the team to advance the ball to midcourt like it does in the NBA and NCAA women's basketball. Sprinkle could've called TO there but they'd have allowed UNC to set up its defense and still would've had to go the length of the court. Probably the right call to let it go and hope for a defensive lapse.
Good point. They probably practice a set of final possession plays so they don't have to call a timeout. Scramble the defense's brains, in a manner of speaking.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

WolfPtCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by WolfPtCat » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:09 am

WYCAT wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:59 pm
Not a good look with over 5 seconds left after they scored.
That is where we lost the game....

Five seconds left....we should have 2 or 3 plays memorized (like a football 2 minute drill). Bishop drives into lane...takes shot/foul if it is there, otherwise kicks to spot up shooters or slasher via backscreens.

Worst case is dribble aimlesslessly then heave a 40 footer

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:14 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:09 am

It’s early in the season so a lot can change. But something seems to be missing... Team chemistry a little off? Bad coaching or game planning? I don’t know what it is, but something is not being maximized or needs to be corrected.

This team is absolutely loaded with talent. It seems like everyone is a 7th year senior, with a ton of depth.

I am still very optimistic about the season, and think we will have a good shot at the conference title. But at this point it doesn’t seem like they are “clicking on all cylinders”.

Again, if they CAN figure out how to put it all together, the sky is the limit for this team.

Go cats!
To my untrained eye, the single biggest problem is that we can’t seem to be able to stop anyone from driving to the basket. Teams with good guards and/or quick forwards just drive to the basket and score or dish it off for a three. In contrast, I do not us getting to the basket this easy very often.

Drives to the basket killed us in the second half of this game and sure cost us the last basket which created the overtime.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:46 am

This is one of the most talented men's teams I've seen in almost 50 years of watching MSU basketball...and we'll still probably end up being somewhere in the middle of the pack. This team took the Colorado Buffalos and New Mexico Lobos down the wire in big hostile environments...and then they go down to the wire against UNCU??? It seems like we play to the level of our competition-which leads to a lot of woulda-coulda-shoulda results.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:39 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:09 am

Go cats!
I thought the coaching and game planning were great last night. What likely turned a reasonably comfortable 10-point victory into an OT loss was how poorly MSU shot for most of the first half - unfortunately no coach in the world can fix that issue! This team is desperately in need of a few home games, it has to be tough to play on Friday/Saturday/Sunday in Texas and then have to turn around immediately and start the longest road trip in the Big Sky against a well-rested UNC team. IMO, MSU has as good of a shot at winning the conference as anyone and nothing I saw last night changes that opinion.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:12 pm

On a positive note, ESPN had a snippet of the highlights on Sportscenter. Very cool and highly unusual for Big Sky teams. The main highlight was the UNC block of Gazelas at the end of the game, but still very cool.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:47 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:53 pm
BStinsMSU wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BStinsMSU wrote:
I thought he was spot on with the calls he questioned (in a very professional way compared to some announcers, too). The third foul on Bodie Hume was non-existent and there was a charge called against UNC early in the second half that was quite a headscratcher as neither MSU defender was anywhere near set.
Being “set” has NOTHING to do with a block/charge call.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz