WBB Thanksgiving Tournament

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

WBB Thanksgiving Tournament

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:22 pm

Playing at Cal Poly. Looks like another loss, this time to North Texas. Had big lead in the first half, made a lot of threes. 10 point lead at halftime evaporated in the 3rd quarter. Kola Bad Bear was having the offensive game of her life, but got 4 fouls early in the 3rd. Her third season and still can't stop fouling. Darian can't carry the whole team and nobody else is stepping up.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: WBB Thanksgiving Tournament

Post by MSU01 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:35 pm

Well, at least they appear to be figuring things out a bit on one side of the ball. Not sure if allowing teams to score in the high 80s regularly is going to work, though.

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:26 pm

Another game, another loss. Now 1-5. I guess the most optimistic thing we can say is we lost the last two games by single digits, though we lost by 9 points today. Just think, it was only two season ago that the Lady Cats were 25-6 for the season and 19-1 in the conference. Hope we get this thing turned around soon.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:57 am

It looks like the motivational/experimental starting lineups are over for now. Ashley was starting while Darien played the 1.5 guard. Darien seems to be back at point since she had 10 assists tonight. Ashley played 7 minutes. Mia Hughes had been starting, but only played 1 minute. Gabby Mocchi had started a couple of games and did not appear tonight. Injured? Anyway, that was last year’s lineup with Leia replacing Tori. I’m about to nominate Tori as last year’s Big Sky MVP because with her we were dynamite, without not so much yet. The first quarter sounded like the real Bobcats.

The other thing that jumped out of the box score was the decreased production each quarter. Shooting percentage went from phenomenal to poor. Free-throw shooting the same. Looked again like a very tired team.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:02 pm

If you're sick of football and want to watch some really bad basketball we're playing Cal Poly on ESPN+. Darian White is trying to set a school record for turnovers. We were down 1 after the first quarter. That'll probably be our high water mark as this team has usually played worse and worse as the game goes on.

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:02 pm

20-17 Poly with 6:30;left in 2nd. Darian with 5 turnovers in 13 minutes.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:17 pm

Wow, ahead by 1 at half. Cal Poly is not a good team. Last year, we would have been up 20 at this point.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:18 pm

Darian takes a break from turning it over and scores on two straight jumpers and we lead by 1 at the half. Another 20% or so 3 point shooting performance. This team has completely lost its ability to score the ball.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:20 pm

I will say this. They are playing really hard. It's not a lack of effort.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:24 pm

It’s not just scoring! It’s a bad display of basketball. We need a major reset. Disappointing performance. I’m not sure what the problem is with this team, every possession looks like chaos.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:47 pm

Ilikecats wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:24 pm
It’s not just scoring! It’s a bad display of basketball. We need a major reset. Disappointing performance. I’m not sure what the problem is with this team, every possession looks like chaos.
Not much time for a reset when conference play begins on Thursday! Thank goodness they open at home against two weaker opponents.

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:48 pm

Box out, already. How many offensive rebounds shall we let Poly get by standing and watching?

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:54 pm

Up 44-40 at halftime. Beattie, Van Sickle and Janssen hit threes in the 3rd quarter. Still turning it over way too much. Game still up for grabs.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:19 pm

This team is hard to watch. Middle of the pack BSC team right now. Have the talent but lots of deficiency's in their play on both sides. Hope they start to figure it out.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:29 pm

The game was a hot mess, but the Bobcats finally get a win 67-55 over Cal Poly. Limardo seemed to calm down after a long stint on the bench and hit some big shots in the 4th quarter. Darian White made her free throws. Bad Bear did a lot of the dirty work and didn't foul out by some miracle. Rebounding, turnovers, and shooting the basketball all need lots of work.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:32 pm

rivercat wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:19 pm
This team is hard to watch. Middle of the pack BSC team right now. Have the talent but lots of deficiency's in their play on both sides. Hope they start to figure it out.
Crazy year so far in the Big Sky. Unanimous preseason pick Idaho State is 0-5 against D-1 opponents and their closest margin was a 17-point loss today to Central Florida. UM looks good under their new coach.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:34 pm

Hopefully some home cooking will make a difference.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:59 pm

I think we got home-cooked today. Limardo was called for a charge when that hefty post they had jumped in front and leaned at the last moment. Horrible call and I think it shook KJ up a bit. But, as noted above, she looked pretty cool when she came back in.

I went ahead and listened to the Cal Poly commentators on their ESPN+ stream. Very good. A couple of youngish guys, very complimentary of good play by the ‘Cats and knowledgeable about the team, Coach, location, etc. My favorite comment was when one of them stole my terminology and referred to Cal Poly’s style of play in the middle part of the game as “bully ball”. It was.

Trish said that when they are running their system well they are very good, and when they get out of sorts they are very bad. Sounds right. I think she (I know I am) might be a bit surprised at the falloff from the first unit to the second. She said early on she hoped to have 10, 11, maybe 12 starters. It’s not that way right now.

I finally saw some hope today. Go home and win. 💙 💛 😺

bobcat2651
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bobcat2651 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:47 pm

i think mia hughes will be the key to league play, msu has had strong play from the forward position the last few years and that has been a key to it's success. the team needs to step up from the three point line and shoot twos because they may hit some at home but they are not accurate on the road

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:02 am

bobcat2651 wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:47 pm
i think mia hughes will be the key to league play, msu has had strong play from the forward position the last few years and that has been a key to it's success. the team needs to step up from the three point line and shoot twos because they may hit some at home but they are not accurate on the road
Hughes hasn’t really played well. She seems to be a little small for the forward position and doesn’t have the patience to execute. She’s a Freshman and has a long way to go. It’s been painful watching her get her shot blocked every game. I see her as the 8th, 9th player in the rotation. I believe that we need improvement from Bad Bear and Deden. They both played better the last two games, but really needs to focus on being a beast inside. We’ve been getting slaughtered on the boards. I’m just happy we got a win!