What needs fixin' the most?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

WYCAT
Member # Retired

What needs fixin' the most?

Post by WYCAT » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:59 am

Here are my biggest concerns/complaints going into the last two weeks.

1) Domenick's fumbling problems. He has to hold onto the ball. I don't think Milton can step back in now and explode so I would say it is best to stay with Justin. Lulay and the receivers are going to have to keep up their torrid pace but any of the load the running game can shoulder would be a bonus from here on out.

2) Offensive Line injuries. The O-line was beat a lot on Saturday and with Jensen out for the year it isn't likely to get any better with the upcoming competition. We have to find a way to protect Travis better and maybe even open up a hole or two for the running game. These guys have been under the spotlight and have held up pretty well looking back. Two more games guys and we are where we wanted to be in spring ball - back in the playoffs!

3) Stupid penalties. How many times did we kill ourselves with stupid penalties on Saturday. The Beal offsides on Sac. States 1st possession, the big punt return by Force negated, pass interference on 3rd and long that would have forced a punt, etc. We didn't get away with this against Sac. State and we sure as hell won't against EWU and UM. We have to play much smarter ball and not hurt ourselves.

4) Get the defense back on track mentally. I think we all believe they are a much better unit than they showed last week. They can't give up 250 yards rushing against either of the two next opponents and expect to keep us in the game. The offense has proven they will score more than two TD's a game consistently now the defense needs to prove they can do their part. I am hoping the Sac. State game was a one time thing and the real Cat D shows up Saturday. I think they can if they just forget about and go back to what they do best. That all starts with the right mental attitude.

5) The kicking game. EJ has proven to be nearly automatic on extra points that is good. As far as field goal attempts from a hash mark, I think I will go with the Kramer approach and say nothing. OK, I can't say nothing how about not good.

Overall we are not where we wanted to be this week but still in a good position. No disrespect to the griz but I really think EWU has the better team this year. With that game in Bozeman and the griz game in Missoula they are probably equally challenging. Huge challenge=huge opportunity. Let's go get this one guys!

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:10 pm

The unfortunate reality for MSU this week is our lack of a consistent running attack. The two I-AA teams that beat Eastern so far this season have successfully run the ball against them and effectively controlled the clock and time of possession. I don't think we have shown the ability to do that yet this season, and our odds are further diminished with the loss of another starting offensive lineman. We better pray that Hirst can play this week, and hope that whoever fills in for Jensen plays better than he ever has. We will be able to pass effectively on Eastern, but I don't think we win the game with our passing - we HAVE to be able to rush for at least 120 yards (as a team) if we want to win.

I still think the biggest factor this week is going to be how our defense responds. That was the worst defensive effort I have seen from a Bobcat team since Hysell's last year. They just plain looked asleep, and did not show any fire at all. This game is going to be a huge gut-check for these guys, and they have to put this game on their shoulders and put forth their best effort of the season. Eastern will definitely score some points, but I think we have to hold them in the 25-30 range to have a chance. It would also help tremendously if we could clean up our play, limiting our stupid mistakes (just not thinking) and penalties. We'll see...

GO CATS GO!!!