Weighing in

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Weighing in

Post by El_Gato » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:11 pm

I'm speechless; I am without speech.
Last edited by El_Gato on Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizzlies: 2-5 when it matters most

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:25 pm

Now, to try & make sense of the Bobcat version of Black Saturday.

Bright side/silver lining/glass is half full stuff:

We still control our own destiny. Kramer said it best in postgame; win both and you are the SOLE champion of the BSC.

Travis Lulay is the greatest quarterback to ever wear a Bobcat uniform, even with the bizarre "time out" play & the turnovers vs Sac . We get to enjoy this young mans remarkable talents for at least 13 more games; we should savor each & every one of them because it will be awhile before we are this blessed again.

Blake Wolf wins my MVP award based solely on his desire to help this team win.

For the most part, I agree with numerous other posts stating that next years team will be better than this one.

I'm sorry, but I really can't see much else positive this morning...

Stay tuned for the rest of the story...

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:29 pm

The number one mission for next year is to build some depth and PLAY THEM! Say what you want about Booby Hack...I totally agree with playing a lot of kids. They are going to have experience coming out of their ears next year!

2024 Resume dominance

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:58 pm

Now for the negative stuff:

Obviously, we weren't ready to play. First drive, we march down the field, stick 7 on the board and you could almost FEEL the team thinking "this is in the bag; let's start getting ready for Eastern...".

How do we let a freshman running back rack up 250 yards against us?

The injuries in the secondary are really beginning to show; EWU and Meyer probably had trouble sleeping last night with all the drool on their pillows...

I really don't like to think of our Cats as a dirty team but I seriously doubt that any BSC team has more personal fouls than we do the last few seasons. Why do our kids 'lose their cool' so much after plays are dead?

Why is it that we're STILL looking for a decent running back? I'm not sure JD is even mediocre at this point; anyone remember the play where he breaks through the line near midfield and cuts to his right with 1 guy to beat for a HUGE gain and yet he can't avoid that one guy and ends up getting 'shoestringed' for a 3 yard gain that an AVERAGE back would have probably taken for 30? I still have not seen him break a tackle and/or run anyone over this season.

I felt that 'running the table' was going to be very difficult, even before last night, but now? Before any of you label me a 'fair-weather' or 'bandwagon' fan, please keep in mind that I will be in the stands next Saturday, yelling myself hoarse for the Cats and hoping that we are sitting in front of our computers in 2 weeks relishing in our 3rd consecutive Big Sky Championship.

But as an analyst & a realist, given the physical & mental state of this team at this time, I really can't see that happening. There's no 'help' left for us; lose either game & we're done. I'm not discounting the desire, guts, or heart of our kids, I'm just not sure we'll have the TALENT to overcome Eastern. I do believe we are still better and more talented than the griz, and if we find a way to beat the Eagles, I will love our chances to keep the streak alive against UM. But I'm afraid that if we lose to EWU, we will have very little confidence left heading into Missoula and no doubt the griz will be flying high after what I'm sure will be a sound beating of the same team we lost to yesterday.

Sorry.

GO CATS!!!

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:01 pm

El Gato- You are very right about Travis Lulay. He is special and does not quit. We still need a few more players like him.

The newspaper articles all said "516 yards ...., but two interceptions". Well, one was pretty much a fluke and the other was when he was trying desperately to score in a hurry since we needed 2 scores to tie or win. And when you have to throw 61 times, a couple interceptions is not that unusual.

Man, 516 yards is amazing. You are right-we must enjoy this kid for the rst of this year and next as we won't probably see another Travis Lulay for some time.

But the mistakes killed us. And this loss goes directly on the defense's shoulders. I have not seen anyone run like that against us in quite some time. With our young secondary, I could accept it if Leadingham and Amey had great games to beat us, but a true freshmen no one had ever heard of??? Hey, I think Mole will be a very good player and I really wish we ahd someone like that, but to give up 250 yards? It did not look like the same defense that held Roger Robinson to 35 yards and the likes of Chournos and Fuqua to barely over 100 yards.

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:01 pm

I agree with the praise of Lulay. Those kind of numbers with no running game at all, several dropped passes, and crappy pass protection. Not to mention he did a great job punting and led us in rushing yards. What would our record be without him?