Fuller

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Fuller

Post by CelticCat » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:58 pm

I beileve Fuller is coming around extremely well. His last game at NAU, and even SDSU was like night and day compared to his first couple starts. He is making plays, hitting the receiver hard, even causing a few drops. The kid is impressing me and I'm really happy for him, and even happier for us cuz I know this kid can only get better!

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:03 pm

CelticCat, I agree. He had a couple of really good hits on run coverage too. If he keeps improving, he will be good this year, and very good down the road.
I know Austin played a little on Sat...anyone notice how he did? or how his hip is? we need him back 100%.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:09 pm

I have been thinking the exact same thing. Fuller has improved by leaps and bounds since the beginning of the season, and I think he could end up becoming a very special player for us in a couple years. He's no Joey Thomas, but who is? He is beginning to play receivers a little closer at the line, and has not only stopped being passive on defense, he is becoming a very aggressive DB. His coverage skills still need work, but they are improving. He is already one of the best tacklers on the team - no small feat with the players we have!

I was really glad to see Austin get back into action. NAU picked on him a little bit, but he obviously didn't do too poorly! He played pretty similar to early in the season - not breaking up passes, but kept everything in front of him. I thought he made a pretty good showing for his first game action in about a month. Hopefully this game and the PAM State game will get him completely back to speed and ready for the push against EWU and UM.

BTW, am I the only one noticing the huge hits Ryan Force is laying on players recently? Man, he is really laying the wood on some players - his confidence and swagger are through the roof right now!!!

GO CATS GO!!!

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:19 pm

BozoneCat wrote:I have been thinking the exact same thing. Fuller has improved by leaps and bounds since the beginning of the season, and I think he could end up becoming a very special player for us in a couple years. He's no Joey Thomas, but who is? He is beginning to play receivers a little closer at the line, and has not only stopped being passive on defense, he is becoming a very aggressive DB. His coverage skills still need work, but they are improving. He is already one of the best tacklers on the team - no small feat with the players we have!
Bozone, while there is not telling how Fuller will end up, take a trip back to 2000 and remember that Joey Thomas wasn't that amazing in that ugly 0-fer season either. Fuller has improved dramatically and could become a very good player in the coming years.

While our secondary seems to doing much better in pass coverage and even in run support, the one thing I noticed yet again this week was the lack of discipline by the corners and outside LB's to stay home on the outside when it appears the play is moving away. NAU's first score was case in point for this last weekend, and there have been several others the past few weeks.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:30 pm

I wasn't trying to discredit Fuller, I think he is doing a very good job this season. I do remember Joey having some tough times early in his career, too. Just saying that we can't expect him to turn into a Joey Thomas, because players like that don't come around very often. Right now, I am very happy with where he has come, and I don't doubt he will develop into a great corner for us. He is already a better tackler than Joey was, and he really likes the contact.

Glad you brought up the second point. I too see this as our weakness on defense right now. This is how you attack a team that over-pursues on defense, and you can bet your bottom dollar that we will see plenty of this the next three weeks. Not only reverses, but screens and bootlegs. Our defensive coaches need to start getting these guys a little more disciplined on these type of plays, because Eastern will kill us if every guy doesn't stick to his assignment.

GO CATS GO!!!

profisme
Member # Retired

Post by profisme » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:41 pm

I think that Fuller has made more improvements than anyone else on the defense this year. I was all over him after the PSU game in particular, but he has definitely improved at an incredible rate. It also helps that the d-line is able to pressure the QB, unlike in the PSU game. I have noted that PSU has the best pass-blocking o-line in the conference. I don't think that this will be debated too much.

Now for next year, the defense looks better, if it could possibly look better. We lose Sebestyen, Clark, Gluhm, Cooper, and Mollock. Look who we get back though. We will have Eddie Smith and possibly Kahaim Hunter to go along with Fuller and Austin. We will have to choose between Lindsey, Grenfell, and Force at safety. We still have King, Marudas, and Mollohan at linebacker. We will have Lowe, Rogers, Matakis, and Cogley on the line. The defense looks incredible still.

The offense will be intact and probably better. We will have Hirst, Bolton, Wolf, Birkeland, and Jensen anchoring the line. Guinn, Gatewood, Sullivan, and Roosevelt at wideout. We will have Domineck, Milton, and Gathing back at the RB. I personally believe that Gathing could win the job because he is the kind of back that any defensive player hates to see coming at you, much like an Eddie George size back. And of course we will have Lulay back for the QB spot. The only questions come at TE and K, although hopefully Bolton will step up.

Those are my thoughts.

-Elias P. Harmon-

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:44 pm

Prof,
I agree with your analysis, and think we will be amazing on paper next year.
However, I think Sullivan is a Senior this year. We'll need to use Roosevelt, Alley, Sherman...etc.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:45 pm

profisme- We lose Eddie Sullivan at WR, he is a senior this year. Other than that, yes I agree we have some great returning players next year, but for now we have a pretty good team this year to cheer on! :wink:

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:46 pm

Unfortunately, we lose Sullivan, don't we?

As to the D-line, remember the name of Bobby Daly. Mark my words, he will become a great, great player for the Bobcats.

You reminded me to give a huge shout-out to Daryl Rogers. He has played extremely well this year, especially ever since the Colorado State game. He hasn't gotten much press so far, but he deserves to have his name mentioned because he has really shored up the defensive interior!

GO CATS GO!!!

profisme
Member # Retired

Post by profisme » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:53 pm

My fault, I didn't realize Eddie was a senior this year. That hurts because he has been our best receiver of the year. Oh well, a good team looks to be shaping up.

-Elias P. Harmon-

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:09 pm

BozoneCat wrote:Unfortunately, we lose Sullivan, don't we?

As to the D-line, remember the name of Bobby Daly. Mark my words, he will become a great, great player for the Bobcats.

You reminded me to give a huge shout-out to Daryl Rogers. He has played extremely well this year, especially ever since the Colorado State game. He hasn't gotten much press so far, but he deserves to have his name mentioned because he has really shored up the defensive interior!
Aaron Papich is gonna be a force too here for us next year as well I think. We have subbed so much on the DL this year (8 guys almost) that all will have very good experience. I almost say, lets put Saucedo back in at DL as well so we have a big HOLE stopper as well. But sounds like they are moving him to OL.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:49 pm

As far as a replacement for Eddie Sullivan....how does Tyler Lulay sound?

2024 Resume dominance

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:53 pm

We have a ton of young good receivers. That, along with the OL, DL, and LBs is going to be an area of strength for us for quite a while.

Also, anyone know if Kiham Hunter will be able to get a Medical RS?

I hate to think about next years team already, but HOLY CRIPES we're going to be freakin' good.