What if...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Obzerver
BobcatNation Letterman

What if...

Post by Obzerver » Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:01 pm

Here's a what if question. Now this isn't smack and I'm not predicting so bear with; 1) If MSU wins all their games, except EWU, and finishes with one conference loss are they in(the playoffs) for sure? 2) If MSU does lose to EWU and beats UM(which gives UM two conference losses) are they out? 3) If MSU and EWU finish with the same record does EWU have the tie-breaker for auto berth. If that is the case, EWU could lose to Cal Poly and end up going to the playoffs with four losses.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Re: What if...

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:19 pm

Obzerver wrote:Here's a what if question. Now this isn't smack and I'm not predicting so bear with; 1) If MSU wins all their games, except EWU, and finishes with one conference loss are they in(the playoffs) for sure? 2) If MSU does lose to EWU and beats UM(which gives UM two conference losses) are they out? 3) If MSU and EWU finish with the same record does EWU have the tie-breaker for auto berth. If that is the case, EWU could lose to Cal Poly and end up going to the playoffs with four losses.
Yep, very interesting questions. 1) I would think MSU would not get the autobid as EWU would have the tiebreaker over us head to head (if it was us and them that tied for the title). 2) I would think MSU would have it over UM if they beat them and only have 1 conference loss (i.e end up 8-3). If MSU didn't make the playoffs in that case, believe me .. there would be major rioting going on. MSU would only have losses to CSU/Cal Poly and EWU. Just a hunch though that their would be 3 teams from the Big Sky again though so their wouldn't be any rioting :)

3) You are correct on #3.

I think the easiest way we get in is a win against EWU (assuming we beat Sac. State). That would put EWU out of the playoffs I think (especially if they lose to Cal Poly). It would then leave the Cat/Griz game for all the Marbles (assuming the Griz win their next 2 in a row).

EWU is a HUGE game! Hopefully we can get Sac St. down early and rest our starters for the next week while EWU gets a bruising game against Cal Poly the week before.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:31 pm

Did Cal Poly lose yesterday?

2024 Resume dominance

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:40 pm

Yep. Cal Poly lost at home to UC Davis yesterday.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:56 pm

Well here's hoping they and Eastern Washington beat the tar out of each other next saturday!

I think Eastern will win...but I hope it isn't easy!
Last edited by Helcat72 on Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2024 Resume dominance

Obzerver
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Obzerver » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:46 am

Here's a thought...I wonder if Kramer will let us beat you guys(just for old times sake) and then you guys beat UM. That way MSU and EWU would go to the playoffs and UM may not. Would that be a good thing not only beating UM but knocking them out of the playoffs? I don't think they will take three from the BSC this year. Wouldn't that be better than you guys beat EWU and lose to UM and then UM and MSU would go? I would think if there was a choice(and I know there's not) that MSU would rather beat UM and go to the playoffs than beat EWU and go to the playoffs opposed to losing to UM and going to the playoffs. Yeah, I know you'd rather beat both EWU and UM and not care who goes besides MSU...but...

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:05 am

I'd rather see the Montana schools in, being a loyal Montana supporter as I am. But I also don't get too sad when the Shizzlies lose a couple here and there. ;)

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

velochat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by velochat » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:19 am

Sports Network on scenarios:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.as ... 577687.htm

I noticed that an all D1 schedule could be considered, so let's not play any more Adams States.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:44 am

velochat wrote:Sports Network on scenarios:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.as ... 577687.htm

I noticed that an all D1 schedule could be considered, so let's not play any more Adams States.
We beat Sac State and win 2/3 we are in I would think.

grizhatr
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizhatr » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:53 am

Let's stop talking what ifs right now. This team has finally found each other, literally. It gives me the chills to think about what lies ahead for these young guys. They are totally in control of their own destiny. Performances like Saturday only prove that they are comfortable and getting the job done. Great job to everyone on Saturday, and let's keep the heat on in the kitchen! GO CATS!!!

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:55 am

We beat Sac State and win 2/3 we are in I would think.
I agree Cardiac. I would really like to see us host a game this year but after Saturday's performance on the road, in a dome, etc. I like our road chances better this year than the past two. I hope the coaches and team aren't looking past Sac. State as much as the fans and national media are though :wink: By the way, how big does the Cal Poly loss look now?

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:52 pm

As far as getting a home game, I would say it looks not only possible but probable. Remember, they only seed the top 4 teams, and those teams are awarded home field as long as they remain in the playoffs. The rest of the games are awarded based on bids from the competing schools, and whichever school bids more gets the game. I have a pretty strong feeling that Peter Fields will put together a huge bid to ensure we get a game in Bozeman because of what that will do for our program. I would be pretty confident in saying that we would pretty much be guaranteed a sellout if we had the first playoff game in Bozeman since 1984, and I doubt most other I-AA schools would be able to match Fields' bid.

Regardless, we still have 3 games to win. I feel pretty confident that if we win 2 of those, we are in - but, if we can take all 3, we will be sitting quite pretty in the playoff picture.

GO CATS GO!!!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:15 pm

We're probably getting a ways ahead of ourselves here, but if we do get to host a home 1st round playoff game I have no doubt that MSU will meet whatever bid requirement is out there. But I would be surprised if we get a sellout. That 1st playoff game is tough for anyone to sell out because of the Thanksgiving holiday. All students are gone and a lot of people already have plans made. It's pretty tough to stand up Grandma for a football game. I have put the entire family on notice about that weekend-don't make any big plans-unless you don't care if I'm not there. If the Bobcats are playing in Bozeman I'm at the game.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:20 pm

Right this minute, I don't care about the playoffs.
I just want to beat Sacramento State.

:twisted: :twisted:

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:23 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:We're probably getting a ways ahead of ourselves here, but if we do get to host a home 1st round playoff game I have no doubt that MSU will meet whatever bid requirement is out there. But I would be surprised if we get a sellout. That 1st playoff game is tough for anyone to sell out because of the Thanksgiving holiday. All students are gone and a lot of people already have plans made. It's pretty tough to stand up Grandma for a football game. I have put the entire family on notice about that weekend-don't make any big plans-unless you don't care if I'm not there. If the Bobcats are playing in Bozeman I'm at the game.
Yep, the first round is a tough one to sell out, but all of my family has already been given the same warning that if the Cat's are in Bozeman that weekend I will be also!

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

grizhatr
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizhatr » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:26 pm

I would have to argue the sell out issue. Again its been since 1984, twenty years. I would venture to bet that we could get that size of audience. Its not every year or even that often people around here would have an opportunity to see a playoff game. I know that is how I felt last year, and hell, I went to Northern Iowa for this same reason. We all know that Thanksgiving comes every year, however the chance to see the Bobcats in a playoff game, has been pretty slim, up until the last 2 years that is.
Just my two cents.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:37 pm

grizhatr wrote:I would have to argue the sell out issue. Again its been since 1984, twenty years. I would venture to bet that we could get that size of audience. Its not every year or even that often people around here would have an opportunity to see a playoff game. I know that is how I felt last year, and hell, I went to Northern Iowa for this same reason. We all know that Thanksgiving comes every year, however the chance to see the Bobcats in a playoff game, has been pretty slim, up until the last 2 years that is.
Just my two cents.
It's not the boosters/season ticket holder type fans that you have to worry about for that game, it is the students. Remember, dorms are closed for thanksgiving and most of the students go home. I am sure many would stick around, but I can almost guarantee that student section would not be full.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

grizhatr
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizhatr » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:01 pm

They can sell student seating the public as well. I really am not interested in arguing my point. We will really find out how many bandwagon fans we have or don't on this one. Also, you may be surprised. Lots of students wait to go home because its expensive to travel for such a short time, when they will be done three weeks later.

Robcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Robcat » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:52 pm

I know of 10 people from Billings+some Griz fans that would be in Bozemen for a playoff game. Could be another sell out. :D However I want to get by Sac State before I start the engine.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:56 pm

What if.....our slimy brothers to the west lose to NAU and us...maybe the friz fans might need to see some kind of playoff football even if it is the Cats!

2024 Resume dominance