Dissly to Football???

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GreatLakesCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Dissly to Football???

Post by GreatLakesCat » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:30 pm

I wonder if a player like Dissly would be interested in playing football for the Cats sometime in his college career. I remember when the Cats were in dire straights at punter and Aaron Rich came out for the team, and filled in OK. Diss was highly recruited out of high school for football (Pac-10), even more than basketball. His passion was on the basketball court, and that is the path he decided to take, which is honorable. But I think he could be a gamebreaker on the football field for MSU. His heart was not in football in high school, especially because I think he felt he was being overused by Bill Walker and his staff of idiots 3 or 4 years ago. I think with non-meathead coaching staff, that actually knows a thing or two about football, Diss could take off as a D1 wideout. There is always the injury factor that's always there...Just thought I'd throw that out there to see what people think.

grizhatr
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizhatr » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:48 pm

Scott Harry was the last basketball/football player prior to Aaron Rich. He was good too. Personally, I think that if the player is up to it, and both coaches realize the "what if's" why not?

raincat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by raincat » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:01 pm

The talent level you sometimes find when looking at athletes on a college campus who are no longer participating in certain sports can be amazing. My sons fraternity flag football team at the University of Washington had the former Maryland football player of the year (running back), a former all-state class A quarterback, three all-state linemen (all these guys originally came to the UW on scholarship), my son who was an all conference receiver, etc. etc. I felt if they had transferred intact to somewhere like Northern State University-Havre of THE Montana STATE University-Bozeman they could have won it all.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:03 pm

My uncle coached at Durango the year that Johnson and Brown were there. He also coached Jamal Brimmer in football and basketball that year. He wanted Martrel Johnson to come out for football to play free safety. The kid can run and he is big. I know he has medical issues, but if we are gonna dream, let's dream big.

I am very proud of the way our safetys play. Just dreaming.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:26 pm

raincat wrote:The talent level you sometimes find when looking at athletes on a college campus who are no longer participating in certain sports can be amazing. My sons fraternity flag football team at the University of Washington had the former Maryland football player of the year (running back), a former all-state class A quarterback, three all-state linemen (all these guys originally came to the UW on scholarship), my son who was an all conference receiver, etc. etc. I felt if they had transferred intact to somewhere like Northern State University-Havre of THE Montana STATE University-Bozeman they could have won it all.

Ooooh. You just sent shivers up and down my spine. Please put your hands over your ears and call it Northern Montana College, for my sake. I'm still in denial that the state perversely tied such a weak college to our name. It's sick and wrong.

GreatLakesCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by GreatLakesCat » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:17 pm

anybody have any thoughts on the original post? \:D/

If God made me a griz fan...I'd shoot myself...

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:16 pm

With all due respect.
KEEP YOU FLEA BITT'N PAWS OFF DISSLY.
He is a basketball player and thats that! Maybe after his four years of basketball he can take a fifth in football

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:50 pm

I hope Dissly stays on the basketball court exclusively...he's going to be the most important player on the team here in the next couple years and we shouldn't fool around with him playing FB too. Let Kramer go out and recruit some WR's if he needs more! This is coming from someone who cares about basketball as much as FB, you football guys may feel differently!

velochat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by velochat » Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:53 am

If Dissly wanted to play football, he probably wouldn't be here. It's pretty risky to say on a football dominated board like this, but basketball is a greater challenge for an athlete like Dis, let's keep him on the court to show what he can do.

catsalltheway
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by catsalltheway » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:21 am

I feel...if the kid wants to play....and both coaches are ok with it...then why not???? there is always that injury factor present and it also might effect the beginning his basketball season...especially if the football team goes on in playoffs...

FootballFan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by FootballFan » Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:47 am

When Dissly signed early for basketball he pretty much eliminated his chances of playing football. I don't all the exact rules, but I believe he automatically loses two years of football eligibility. I also believe he is ineliglbe for a few years.

Regarding his high school career. Great Lakes Cat, tell how he was overused in high school. He was flipping wide receiver and free safety. Last time I watched a game those weren't two of the most physically demanding positions! What, did Walker throw the ball to him too much of the time?

Whether you like Walker or not, how can you argue with what he did. Bozeman high football was a complete joke prior to his arrival!! He took them to 2 state championship games, and multiple playoffs. Yes, maybe he did do some stupid things on 4th down, but at least give the man credit for putting some respectibility back to the Hawk program! Becasue there was none before he arrived, for those of you that have a very short memory!!

BobcatLionFan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatLionFan » Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:58 am

From the coaches side, Kramer has nothing to lose. He doesn't have him now and it might help his team. So why not.

From the BB coaches side, it's all downside. Injuries a possibility. Seasons overlap, so you miss your stud for the first 2 months and the team doesn't ever come together. The pressure is on the player to lift weights for football, which totally screws up your shot. (Different type of lifting, even though BB lifts).

From the player side. BB at MSU will only get your fame in Montana. No chance of playing after. Football, if he is really that good, then there is upside. (Joey, Brent S., Cooper this year, Bolton next, etc.). Football is the only chance to be noticed and the team is being noticed.

On transferring, he is under contract to MSU, transferring doesn't get him a free ride. Most schools will not do that. They say, walk on and we'll see how you do. Also there is the problem of losing a year of eligibility.

GreatLakesCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by GreatLakesCat » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:46 pm

FootballFan-

You're right about 2 things. 1. Dissly did play Reciever... but that was hisSenior year...and that was only after he injured his knee playing slot/ wing back early in his senior season and throughout his junior and sophmore years. If I can remember correctly, the Hawks ran a triple option, quick strike offense which was based on Georgia Souhern's. And no... Walker did not throw too him too much... but Nick ran the ball or caught the ball nearly every play. Not overused? True he was head and shoulders above his opponents size wise and athletically, and its an easy call to "throw it to Diss and let him go". But I felt it could have been spread out more, even after he was injured. FootballFan, you make good points, but we both know its a mute point, becasue it was two years ago, but still worth discussion.
I have to disagree with your comment about Hawk football being so much better than before he came here. True, it is a quality program, but the quality of athletes that have rolled through the halls of BHS have been astounding, and possibly the best in the state. There is no reason why Walker could not have Won at least 1 or 2 State Chamionships in the last 5 years, with the players he has had availiable in the past. But even his own players did not respect him, let alone the athletes that could have played for him that chose to stay away. My point...BHS football is a quality program, but not near its potential with the resources availiable. [/quote]