Sportsnetwork Article

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Sportsnetwork Article

Post by MSU01 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:35 pm

Excerpts from this week's 1-AA article by Dougherty at Sportsnetwork

Full article found here: http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.as ... apoint.htm

The sleep came in handy when I had to respond to e-mail after e-mail from Montana fans. You’d have thought I was about 40 points off on the prediction as opposed to the touchdown or so that I missed by. I’ll give credit to Montana fans, though. None of the magic words were included when discussing my failed pick against the Griz (and believe me, they have been before) and the tone of the e-mails was very upbeat even while mocking my prognostication.

I’ve already documented the Montana fans, but they weren’t the only ones, just the most vocal. I also received e-mail from James Madison and Montana State supporters, both of whom saw their teams win close games in the final minute where I predicted them to lose close games in the final minutes. I also just missed on close wins by Lafayette, Stephen F. Austin and Southwest Missouri State. Before reading this week’s picks and sitting behind the computer to send me a "you’re wrong again" e-mail, keep this little quote handy:

"Predictions are right, or they are wrong, but the cutoff line for them being taken as vitally important should be age 14," Patrick Reusse, Columnist, Minneapolis Star Tribune, 10/18.

Game of the Week: Montana State 31, Portland State 24 (OT)

In a week filled with contests decided in the final minutes, this game had a little bit of everything. Two teams needing a win badly, a stellar individual performance, a comeback, a last second play and overtime all combined to make it the best of the week. Portland State scored on its first two drives and still held a 21-10 edge going into the fourth quarter. Quarterback Travis Lulay got on fire for the Bobcats in the final quarter. Lulay found Rick Gatewood for a 42-yard touchdown to cut the deficit to 21-17, but Portland State added a field goal and led, 24-17, with under two minutes remaining. Starting at his own 18, Lulay completed seven passes including a 28-yard strike on third and 10. On the last play of regulation, Justin Domineck scored from one yard out to tie the game. In overtime, Domineck scampered in from 17 yards out and Montana State went on to the victory. The Bobcats moved to 4-2 and stayed undefeated in conference, and sit tied in the loss column with rival Montana for the Big Sky lead.

South Dakota State (4-2) at Montana State (4-2), 3:05

By no means have the Bobcats been overwhelming, but they are winning the games they have to win. With only two losses, Montana State is the No. 2 team in the Big Sky and tied with Montana for the conference lead with a 3-0 mark. Montana State gutted out wins against Idaho State, Weber State and Portland State and will have to do the same against the Jackrabbits to have a good shot at the playoffs down the stretch. If the Bobcats lose, they could be in trouble with Northern Arizona, Eastern Washington and Montana still remaining on the schedule. South Dakota State had a week off after a close, last minute win over North Dakota State. The Jackrabbits have already knocked off Southern on the road and played Cal Poly tough to the end, so Montana State must be wary of yet another Great West team coming in and beating a Big Sky foe. I like Montana State’s defense and the way Travis Lulay is playing, and the Bobcats will find a way again before a very tough close to the season. Prediction: Montana State 20, South Dakota State 17
Last edited by MSU01 on Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.