Hey refs

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cat-theotherwhitemeat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:13 pm

I was told by a friend of mine, who happens to be a ref, said there is no face shielding in college football.

Also, El Gato, about this comment:
The old "they were calling the game loose before that infraction" argument holds no water with me, either. A FOUL IS A FOUL. I don't care if they let 20 calls go earlier in the game; do you think the ref is standing there thinking "well, i know that was a penalty but since we didn't call some earlier, I'm not going to call this one..."
A foul is a foul, but it's got to be called the exact same way earlier in the game. If they are calling it tight, then they should call it tight all game...and vice versa. This particular game they weren't. So, why should they call it loose all game long, and then on a call late in the game, they call it tight. If they had done that, your comment about significantly affecting the outcome would be true. It was a close call, no doubt about it, but they were following the rules and procedure they had applied all game long. Why change it for one call late in the game?

You act like they were calling everything, and then all of a sudden let one go. I know you hate the Griz but take the blinders off. If that same play had happened to the Cats you'd be saying what we're saying...."whew, we may have gotten away with one, but who knows."

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

JahGriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by JahGriz » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:15 pm

The old "they were calling the game loose before that infraction" argument holds no water with me, either. A FOUL IS A FOUL. I don't care if they let 20 calls go earlier in the game; do you think the ref is standing there thinking "well, i know that was a penalty but since we didn't call some earlier, I'm not going to call this one..." That's just BS. It's just another example of the REFEREES significantly affecting the outcome of the game rather than the PLAYERS & the RULES
WRONG. If your agruement held any water what so ever there would be a penalty nearly every single play, because holding happens on nearly every single play. A foul is a foul is not the way refs in football or basketball call things. Hate to break it to ya, but anybody who doesn't realize this is living in a fantasy world.
I'm not saying that particular call was right. And I'm not saying that because a call wasn't made earlier it shouldn't be made later. I'm saying that refs who are consistent are better than those not consistent. If you call something once then call a similar penatly if it is done later, and vise versa.

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:25 pm

Whitemeat, (hope you don't mind; i like that better than CTOWM)

No offense to your ref friend, but if there is no rule against this, you'd see DB's not looking for the ball and simply waving their arms in front of receivers EVERY TIME they were beaten on a play, and I'm sorry, I'm not seeing that in college football. I will make the appropriate call, and get back to you on this one...

But can you honestly say that there was no contact on that play? Would you have been PO'd if he'd called it? No, you've already admitted that you were waiting for the flag. It doesn't matter what has happened up until that point in the game. YOU KNOW it was PI. The ref is being paid to enforce the rules & the Griz defender's contact INTERFERED with the receivers ability to catch the ball. PERIOD

What does all this change? NADA! Would I be glad it turned out that way if it were the Cats? ABSOLUTELY! Would it change the fact that BSC officiating is fast becoming a joke? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

2 seasons ago, an OBVIOUS blown call at ISU cost the Cats a game; no controversy, no question. Cats clearly catch a pass in the endzone on final play of game that EARNS them a win. Refs rule incomplete; Cats lose; Cats end up having to SHARE conference title with Griz & ISU.

I'm simply tired of officials screwing up games, regardless of who they involve; I suppose you could call all my ranting therapy; that & my medication should have me back to normal in no time...

:wink:

Grizzlies: 2-5 when it matters most

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:29 pm

El_Gato: At the ISU game or watching on TV?

Never mistake activity for accomplishment.

I'm sick of the man because the man is a thief.

Four

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:35 pm

Jagur1 wrote:
El_Gato: At the ISU game or watching on TV?
El Gato can reply but I was at the game and have seen in on TV many times (they put it in the line video set by the way). It was more obvious on TV than from my vantage point at the game but a clearly blown call. Even most of the ISU fans I talked to leaving the stadium were amazed they got that one handed to them. How differently would that season have gone with an outright BSC championship. Where would we have been in the 16 team playoff field? Probably not #16 at McNeese State I would guess.

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:45 pm

Jag,

Wasn't at the game, didn't see it on TV. Saw it clearly on the game film. If it's that obvious from a camera 70 or 80 yards away, I do believe a ref should see it from 10 (or less) feet. Just my opinion but I believe it's why we pay them.

Grizzlies: 2-5 when it matters most

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:48 pm

Thanks for proving my point, that you guys are no better than Griz fans. Cat fans grab an excuse just as fast as any Griz fan. Maybe if the cats played better they wouldn't have to blame a blown call at the end of the game for a lose.

Never mistake activity for accomplishment.

I'm sick of the man because the man is a thief.

Four

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:49 pm

El_Gato wrote:Jag,

Wasn't at the game, didn't see it on TV. Saw it clearly on the game film. If it's that obvious from a camera 70 or 80 yards away, I do believe a ref should see it from 10 (or less) feet. Just my opinion but I believe it's why we pay them.
Yep, hands down blown call. ===> REF WITH NO NADS TO MAKE THE CORRECT CALL IN HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT.

Cat-theotherwhitemeat

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:53 pm

I remember that call. The Cats did get screwed. I remember watching a replay thinking that ref was in trouble. It was 100% wrong.

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:28 pm

In my college days, I attended a Montana High School Coaches Assoc. Clinic for a class. It happened to be a week after a super controversial call during the previous weeks college games. A question was posed to then CAT coach Solomonsen about effects that ref have on games. He responded by saying that ONE play out of 60 or 70 should not come into effect. If you take care of business on the other 69 plays, you should not be in a position to get screwed by the ref. {those were not his exact words, but close} That thought has always stuck with me, even when I know that the CATS got screwed at ISU in Lulays debut.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:37 pm

94VegasCat wrote:A question was posed to then CAT coach Solomonsen about effects that ref have on games. He responded by saying that ONE play out of 60 or 70 should not come into effect. If you take care of business on the other 69 plays, you should not be in a position to get screwed by the ref.
I think Solomonson's philosophy was "Do as I say, not as I do." :x :x :x

GO CATS GO!!!