Punting according to Kramer

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Punting according to Kramer

Post by WYCAT » Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:30 am

Following the CSU game the question was posed as to what style of punting we wanted to see. It looks like as long as Kramer is coach, we should expect a lot of Travis.

http://bozemandailychronicle.com/articl ... tional.txt

GavinDonos
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GavinDonos » Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:39 am

I can't argue with that philosophy, so far... That block last weekend was ugly, tho. How far backwards did that baby fly?

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:56 am

After putting EJ in after Travis' concussion and how well he punted, do you think Kramer will stick with a more traditional punter from now on. My guess is no, in the Chronicle article last week he basically said as long as he is a head coach they will use the roll punt. I think once Travis is cleared for full duty, we go back to him punting.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:32 am

WYCAT wrote:After putting EJ in after Travis' concussion and how well he punted, do you think Kramer will stick with a more traditional punter from now on. My guess is no, in the Chronicle article last week he basically said as long as he is a head coach they will use the roll punt. I think once Travis is cleared for full duty, we go back to him punting.
I think if we're on our own 30 or less, use E.J. He booted a couple monsters. Anytime else, Lulay. Notice how teams are now trying to intercept the rollers? That's going to bite somebody and we're going to recover. Mark my words. 8)

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

velochat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by velochat » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:17 am

EJ's last punt was incredible. Nearly kicked it out of the stadium.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:33 am

I think we can use a combo of both, but in crucial games I like Lulay in there just as a result of the ability to run a fake. It keeps the defense in adjust mode and they are not trying to be aggressive, but adjusting to what we do. Plus, like it was said above ... one of these bounces (especially as the field becomes harder as winter arrives) is gonna jump up and bite someone on the other team trying to run up and field it.

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:50 am

My only concern with going back and forth is coverage. There is a big difference in how you play the coverage game when you are booming 55+ yard punts deep with a return likely or rolling one with hopefully no return. Just something they need to practice and be ready for.