Pick 'em Versus PSU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

theblackgecko
BobcatNation Team Captain

Pick 'em Versus PSU

Post by theblackgecko » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:30 pm

Here it is, Wednesday, and I don't anyone making the call for this Saturday. So, here is my prediction.
Portland State looked like the hottest team in the Sky two weeks ago, with victories over McNeese and Fresno. Then, EWU crushed PSU, McNeese lost at home to a hapless SUU team, and Fresno went on a skid. Looking back on it, I think we overrated PSU. Blowing out Sac doesn't mean much, I think PSU doesn't have that much talent.
The collective hearts of Bobcat nation were lifted when WSU had a punt recovery at the Bobcat 20 called back, due to offsides. The Cats made some mistake in last weeks game, and certainly have room for improvement. Still, I'm not impressed with PSU, and the Bobcats play in comfortable Reno H. Sales stadium. First one to 20 wins.
Cats 20, Vikings 14

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:41 pm

The game that knocks the cats out of a home playoff game, and a at large bid for the playoffs. PSU 28 cats 26.

Never mistake activity for accomplishment.

I'm sick of the man because the man is a thief.

Four

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:53 pm

I was far more impressed with PSU a few weeks ago than I am now but we have had a lot of trouble with them since they joined the BSC. Having said that, our offense has improved every game (see below) this year and we are more than due to have a breakout Saturday.

Offensive Production
Adams State Rush-128 Pass-176 Total-304 Total Points-19
Cal Poly Rush-86 Pass-162 Total-248 Total Points-14
Colorado St. Rush-112 Pass-196 Total-308 Total Points-14
Idaho St. Rush-79 Pass-247 Total-326 Total Points-17
Weber St. Rush-183 Pass-218 Total-401 Total Points-20

Portland St. Rush-150 Pass-275 Total-425 Total Points-31

I think things have improved statistically every game when you consider Div. II, I-A, etc but that has yet to translate into points until now. If we can get off to a better start and relax on offense the defense will do its usual thing and we should put up a W in the range of 31-17. Two keys to the game IMO are controlling Fuqua and the PSU running game and stopping the drive killers, i.e. turnovers and/or penalties.

Eastcoastgriz
Member # Retired

Post by Eastcoastgriz » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:30 pm

PSU 23
cats 17

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:07 pm

It depends whether we get a good start or not. It will be harder to do our usual come-from-behind antics against PSU's defense. I say we execute well in the first half, put up some points, and either come from a smell deficit in the second half, or hold on to our lead for the win.

MSU - 20
PSU - 13

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:50 pm

CARDIAC CATS: 27 PSU: 17

beartrainer
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by beartrainer » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:06 pm

final score MSU 19 PSU 7

The kicking game is perfect the 19 comes from a safety by Coop, we have to have one of those coming?? Offense looks good but the weather slows things up a bit.

BobcatBlood
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BobcatBlood » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:36 pm

Yes, I am an eternal optimist...

I think that something that was said or done this week in practice will elevate this team to the level that they can play four quarters of smashmouth football. We will play with great enthusiasm for four quarters picking up a touchdown in each. We will have a special teams miscue of some sort but also a really great special teams play that leads to points on the board.

Our defense (which I think has had its share of troubles and times during games when they just let up) will also play four quarters. They'll get good rest between our offensive drives and hold Portland's running game to the lowest total of the year. Ryan will still punch one in on us though.

So, i predict that we will have 450 yards of offensive and give up 250 yards on defense. The score will be 31 - 14 MSU.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:37 pm

Cats 28
Vikings 17

GO CATS

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:50 pm

Forewarning: I am the world's WORST predictor of game results. If I had a gambling problem, there would be a wing of a sports book in Vegas named after me in honor of the cash I donated to them.

I have never won any kind of pick'em contest, and I nearly always finish last. When I am checking scores, my preferred teams almost always lose, and often in painful fashion (Miami vs. Louisville last night being the most recent).

All that being said, my pick for this week is:

PSU 30
MSU 20

Go Viks! (you bastards!)

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:59 pm

Does reverse psychology work in sports prognostication BAC? If that is really your pick, I sure hope so.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:07 pm

I'm taking the George Castanza approach and doing the exact opposite of what I think I should do -- which will then be the exact right answer.

So yes, I'm pulling for reverse psychology. This could be the way I finally fool the gods of sport into giving me what I want.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:15 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:Forewarning: I am the world's WORST predictor of game results. If I had a gambling problem, there would be a wing of a sports book in Vegas named after me in honor of the cash I donated to them.

I have never won any kind of pick'em contest, and I nearly always finish last. When I am checking scores, my preferred teams almost always lose, and often in painful fashion (Miami vs. Louisville last night being the most recent).

All that being said, my pick for this week is:

PSU 30
MSU 20

Go Viks! (you bastards!)

Funny you bring this up. I am the same way at sports bets .. I ALWAYS LOSE. So the past 2 years at work I have made one sided bets to Griz fans (AND GRIZ FANS ONLY). Here it is:

2 Years ago: If the Cats win I owe you 30 bucks (CATS WIN!)
Last year: If the Cats win I owe you 40 bucks (CATS WIN!)

This year I'm thinking since its at Washington Bobcat Stadium I'm going to bump it up to 60 bucks :)

I know it sounds stupid, but I'm willing to pay 60 bucks for the pride/joy I feel when we beat the Griz. 3 in a row will be CLASSIC! And I always lose my bets so I thought I would turn it around and make it usefull :)

From Tommy Boy "I'm Retarded" :)

REVERSE PHSYCHOLOGY BABY!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Coaches Show

Post by catatac » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:17 pm

Just listened to the archived coaches show (form www.sportsjuice.com) from Wednesday, and I’m much more confident in a great game leading to a Bobcat victory tomorrow. I know, I know, it’s Kramer and he’s the ultimate marketer, be usually during his speeches, he’ll tip you off of he’s majorly concerned about something. Sounded all-around confident for this game. From playing a turf team on our grass, to us facing the roughly the same D for the 3rd week in a row, to the oh-so-close nature of where our offense is at, and having carry-over from the end of the Weber game, I’m liking what I heard. He says Guinn should be straightened out on a couple nuances of the offense that he’s struggled with that last couple games, and is confident with what we’ll see out of the offense on Saturday. He thinks Travis should be able to pick up where he left off after the 2nd half of the Weber game, taking more time going through his reads, because PSU blitzes very little like Weber. Long story short, he ALMOST promised we were done with 2 TD games. I have faith!!! Go CATS – Beat The Vikings!

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Cat Gal
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cat Gal » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:31 pm

I feel we have this one in the bag. Kids are up to it.
MSU-24 PSU-14

The other one:
EWU-28
Griz-13

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:49 pm

Following my pattern of picking two different ways....
If the offense shows up....Cats 27 Vikes 20

If the offense looks like last week and has a bad half... Vikes 20 Cats 13

In Cheney EWU 38 Griz 27

2024 Resume dominance

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:02 pm

I'm not even going to try and guess the outcome of the PSU game. I always go into home games hoping for the best and expecting the worse. Years and years of Bobcat football have conditioned me so.

I do think the griz will beat EWU. EWU is last year's NAU. They've so overhyped this game with the remodeled stadium and big crowd and all that. They're going to be over confident, and I think they're going to lay an egg. Griz 31, EWU 17.

grizhatr
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizhatr » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:11 pm

This is the game that puts Oches out of the game with an injury, Meyer continues his sensational playing, the Griz defense just can't keep up.

Griz 28
EWU 45

PDXKat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by PDXKat » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:52 pm

Guys, get some confidence. We win 35-14. Offense gets untracked and defense doesn't let the run get out of hand and Wiser is so harassed he can't throw. And by the way, I sure hope Ochs doesn't get hurt and they win out, as do we. Beating them in WG with it all on the line would be oh so sweet. The process starts this weekend.